Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
My first epic ride
http://app.strava.com/activities/47697003
I didn't go that fast, especially durring the shakespeare ride....there were a lot of people there and I'm just not used to that and got tangeled in with slow groups, but given the distance this was for the best. Really started to struggle for the last 40 miles and by 20 miles to go, the appearance of any hill (even a speed bump)and my legs cried. Lots to improve on for the next big ride :smile: It was hard but I enjoy a challenge ;)

Very nice! :thumbsup:

SWSteve

Guru
After your back to back rides I see on Strava you are well on your way. I think you can do it right now. Nice rides. :thumbsup:
You're probably right, I want to try and do it every weekend (if not longer) so I know how it feels and then get used to getting sore legs spinning again in the mornings.

RWright

Guru
I want to do a longer than average ride for me today. Every route I want to do has me returning into a 10 mph headwind. :rolleyes: The going out will be fun, the coming home part, not so much. :blink:

Tried for second day in a row. I said to mate as we set off 'don't expct too much, my legs weren't the best when I woke up after yesterday and I've already played squash' but it was still good to get out.
There's a lot of climbing at the start, and then afterwards its quite flat which is a great help. It was a good social ride, chatting quite a bit and just doing the loop we normally do.

http://app.strava.com/activities/47682101

All in all a good chance at training for a 2 day ride I have in May with my mum's work, 65 in day 1 and then 35 in day 2, and I feel pretty comfortable I should be able to do that and not have my legs melt when stepping off the bike.
I would be happy with that ride today Steve.

Well what a Day!
Completed the Shakespeare100 in a ride time of 4hrs and 55min.
I broke a few PB's as well. Max ride prior to today was only 30miles, today's route saw 66miles! Max speed was 38.5mph. I think my average speed comes in just under 14mph.
I really enjoyed the day and will be back next year.

However, I am going to award myself a newbie Numbty award, let me explain;

When I got home I was feeling quite ill xx( headache, dry mouth and lips, are you ahead of me yet.
Yes mild dehydration!
Well I have never ridden this far before and didn't realise I need so much liquid. After a good lie down and loads of fluids I feel better now and able to enjoy the moment again.

Right what's the next challenge then?

My first epic ride
I didn't go that fast, especially durring the shakespeare ride....there were a lot of people there and I'm just not used to that and got tangeled in with slow groups, but given the distance this was for the best. Really started to struggle for the last 40 miles and by 20 miles to go, the appearance of any hill (even a speed bump)and my legs cried. Lots to improve on for the next big ride :smile: It was hard but I enjoy a challenge ;)
Really well done Andy, it'll be some time before i tackle anything like that, crowds aside, still I think there is the W.N.B.R. in York in June I am tempted to go to, though it's a big ask of me on my own, last time I was with a cousin and her O.H., the distance is only about 6 miles, so maybe I can cope with the crowds that long.
I nipped out for another 10 mile ride this evening.
I am pleased with this a minute quicker than yesterday nearly 1mph
http://app.strava.com/activities/47720102#833212672
also with this only 13's but it is a bit of a drag, first time avg of over 15mph for the 2 miles.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47720102#833212675 back in Aug I could only manage 11.3mph.
and the whole 10 mile loop i was 6's quicker than yesterday.
http://app.strava.com/activities/47720102#833212694
I also think it's the furthest I have ridden in any 7 day period.
206.7 miles @14.44mph with 9282ft elevation (corrected with rwgps)

I'm getting a bit freaked out about having to do 54 miles in early June. My longest ride so far is 19 miles but from now on I have only got 2 days a week on which I have time to go out (work getting in the way) and I just can't see how it's possible to improve enough in time. I know people say the London-Brighton is easy because you just get swept along with everyone else but what if I don't actually make it to the finish??
You will do it.
My longest ride was 30 miles until today's Shakespeare100 managed 66miles.

Well what a Day!
I broke a few PB's as well. Max ride prior to today was only 30miles, today's route saw 66miles! Max speed was 38.5mph. I think my average speed comes in just under 14mph.

When I got home I was feeling quite ill xx( headache, dry mouth and lips, are you ahead of me yet.
Yes mild dehydration!
Well I have never ridden this far before and didn't realise I need so much liquid. After a good lie down and loads of fluids I feel better now and able to enjoy the moment again.

Well done Brian, it's also warmer than of late so that wont have helped either, both you and Andy have shown what can be achieved in a short time.

My first epic ride
What a fantastic ride Andy. A big well done from me.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well what a Day!

Yes mild dehydration!

Well done Brian.

Reece

Veteran
Well what a Day!

Yes mild dehydration!

Well done Brian. Now you need to decide the next challenge.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
15.1m / 1:05:40 / 13.8 Av'.

Lovely day out there - enjoyed my ride.

Bike had a wash today as the roads. although dry, are very salty and there is salt dust in the air!

New gloves and glasses worked well too!

Hope you all had (are still having) a great weekend.

I've given up with the Mycyclinglog/Cycle Chat progress strip - it no longer updates! I've really done just over 5000 miles this year and am top of the CC group. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well what a Day!

Yes mild dehydration!

Well done fella, glad you're feeling better. Just out of interest how much did you drink while you were out riding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom