Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatCyclist

Braved the frost and got out just after 6am just in case the snow showers return later. Pretty chilly but worked quite hard to keep warm. Actually hit 14mph average which is about the best I can currently manage. Pretty tame compared to some of the youngsters on here but I am quite happy with it. :smile:

14mph avg sounds pretty good to me! I'm currently at 11mph for a very short ride, so plenty of work for me to catch up :smile:

14mph avg sounds pretty good to me! I'm currently at 11mph for a very short ride, so plenty of work for me to catch up :smile:
Thats what I thought last summer, dont worry keep at it it will come. This is my first ride in June and my last on Tuesday.
first and last.JPG

Still impressive stats for a first ride there, Nigel. :smile: I'm knackered after just 1.6miles! But then I knew my lack of fitness was of epic proportions. But I'm happy to plod along making small gains.
I was, and it wasn't all in one go, but it was that, that got me cycling in away, other reason is too take my camera out (though not really done that much), as you say step at a time.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Still impressive stats for a first ride there, Nigel. :smile: I'm knackered after just 1.6miles! But then I knew my lack of fitness was of epic proportions. But I'm happy to plod along making small gains.
If it's any consolation, I was nearly physically sick on my first ride! :laugh: Still find hills a bit difficult. The long drags wear me down more than shorter steep hills I think. It gradually gets slightly easier and you start noticing that you are not quite so out of breath or haven't had to drop to such a low gear, etc.

Just keep it fun and increase mileages and speeds slowly.

If it's any consolation, I was nearly physically sick on my first ride! :laugh: Still find hills a bit difficult. The long drags wear me down more than shorter steep hills I think. It gradually gets slightly easier and you start noticing that you are not quite so out of breath or haven't had to drop to such a low gear, etc.

Or they just dont look as steep.:smile:

fatCyclist

Some great advice, and I shall heed it :smile: Thanks!

fatCyclist

Oh, and if you don't already have one, a cycle computer or gps such as the Garmin are great for giving you a bit of incentive. It's great to see your miles and routes logged on your computer. :smile:

Aye, I'm tracking my rides with Strava on my iPhone. It's very handy to see power, distance, speed etc... so I can try and inch them up each ride :smile:

kerndog

Braved the frost and got out just after 6am just in case the snow showers return later. Pretty chilly but worked quite hard to keep warm. Actually hit 14mph average which is about the best I can currently manage. Pretty tame compared to some of the youngsters on here but I am quite happy with it. :smile:

bloody good work! I haven't broken the illusive 14 mph barrier yet... or ever been out that early!

I have just had over a week off the bike due to weather, man flu and a bike service that fell on the last nice day we had. Anyway got back out there today after an aborted, frost bitten 7 miler a couple of days ago, and managed 26 miles at 13.8 mph avg which is a pb for me, maybe due to switching to spd's (which I love)..? and the sun was shining and it was a balmy 2 degrees when I set out, in shorts. lovely ride though!

http://app.strava.com/activities/46161313

kerndog

Aye, I'm tracking my rides with Strava on my iPhone. It's very handy to see power, distance, speed etc... so I can try and inch them up each ride :smile:

that's what I love about strava, tracking your progress. It's a really good motivator I find. Getting a pb on a big climb is a great reward when you get home, and seeing your avg speed creep up is rather rewarding.

SWSteve

Guru
that's what I love about strava, tracking your progress. It's a really good motivator I find. Getting a pb on a big climb is a great reward when you get home, and seeing your avg speed creep up is rather rewarding.

I've started making a couple of segments, which I know I ride on a regular basis so I know I can try and monitor my own progress on these, one of them is private so I can try and storm it...mainly because I don't want someone else to be KOM on my journey home after a ride

Speedball

Well hello strangers ^_^

The combination of dark nights, horrible weather and work has really limited my time I've had to ride but luckily had a day off today and managed to get back into the saddle. First time on the bike since March 1st.

Had my longest ride ever today, 46.3 miles with an average overall speed of 14.3mph which considering the head wind I had in places, I'm really pleased with - http://app.strava.com/activities/46167800

Though I've not been out on the bike, having been hitting the gym hard and making some lifestyles changes. Kind of figured there's no point worrying about saving a few grams here and there with better equipment when there's still a fat lad on board :blush:

Now lost a stone since the turn of the year but the vast majority of it has been since being accepted into Ride London and subsequently joining this forum. Amazing what the fear of Box Hill can do.

Hope to get another ride out on Monday but will probably take it a bit easier. Nice 20 miler to ease the legs back to life.

Nice to be back :bicycle:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
bloody good work! I haven't broken the illusive 14 mph barrier yet... or ever been out that early!

I have just had over a week off the bike due to weather, man flu and a bike service that fell on the last nice day we had. Anyway got back out there today after an aborted, frost bitten 7 miler a couple of days ago, and managed 26 miles at 13.8 mph avg which is a pb for me, maybe due to switching to spd's (which I love)..? and the sun was shining and it was a balmy 2 degrees when I set out, in shorts. lovely ride though!

http://app.strava.com/activities/46161313
Wow, you have lots of climbs so your average over that route is amazing. The hills still really cause me a bit of bother :rolleyes:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well hello strangers ^_^

The combination of dark nights, horrible weather and work has really limited my time I've had to ride but luckily had a day off today and managed to get back into the saddle. First time on the bike since March 1st.

Had my longest ride ever today, 46.3 miles with an average overall speed of 14.3mph which considering the head wind I had in places, I'm really pleased with - http://app.strava.com/activities/46167800

Though I've not been out on the bike, having been hitting the gym hard and making some lifestyles changes. Kind of figured there's no point worrying about saving a few grams here and there with better equipment when there's still a fat lad on board :blush:

Now lost a stone since the turn of the year but the vast majority of it has been since being accepted into Ride London and subsequently joining this forum. Amazing what the fear of Box Hill can do.

Hope to get another ride out on Monday but will probably take it a bit easier. Nice 20 miler to ease the legs back to life.

Nice to be back :bicycle:
Bloomin heck. That's amazing for being off the bike for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom