Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No real progress for me recently due to the weather but decided that I need to invest in some decent lights ( I tried to be a tight arse when ordered lights and regret it now), some decent gloves and a nice jacket so I've got no excuse next winter as I'm getting really bored with the turbo - it's ok as a tool to shed some weight but that's about it.

I had a funny turn coming back from work today though, decided I was going to go for a run later tonight, last time I attempted one I did less than a mile and nearly cried, I'm hoping the weight I've lost since and an increase in my general fitness will help....I'm only planning on a short one but might help me get a bit fitter and I've always fancied a triathlon ;-)
Take a look at this I post in Nov, the light has been brilliant (excuse the pun).
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lights-cree-xml-xm-l-t6.117285/

Leescfc79

Über Member
Take a look at this I post in Nov, the light has been brilliant (excuse the pun).
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lights-cree-xml-xm-l-t6.117285/

I saw that yesterday which made me decide that with some decent lights I can actually get out in the evenings and not only feel safe but actually see where I'd be going!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I saw that yesterday which made me decide that with some decent lights I can actually get out in the evenings and not only feel safe but actually see where I'd be going!
At least with the clocks changing this weekend there will be a couple of hours in the evening now. Temperatures supposed to remain low so evenings might be nicer than the early mornings for me until it warms up a bit.

Work has kind of taken over this week,plenty of 15 hour days good for the bank, but...... :tired: :tired: :tired:
Just realised I have five ten hours shifts at the lathe booked in the run up to the Shakespeare 100 inc sat!
On the plus side I have the whole extended weekend off, so with some luck and a fair wind I will hopefully get out :wahhey:

SWSteve

Guru
I'm starting from scratch today and thought it would be a good idea to join in with this thread.

I only rode for 10mins today because I need to slowly build up my comfort on the bike (soft sit bones!). Also I'm incredibly unfit and 250lbs. Still, it was nice to get out and test out my new bike. For this short ride I averaged 13km/h and got it up to 35km/h for a brief section. Although it didn't feel it at the time. The bike is deceptively fast.

In this spirit of sharing, here's my first ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/46025380
I intend to add a few minutes every day and continue to build slowly.
Great news! Do what you can and challenge yourself, you'll soon see yourself flying along for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles

SWSteve

Guru
Is there a way to edit the log on Strava? I went for a run this evening after cycling home, and it missed a massive section of my loop, decided to make me run a straight line and complete a 1:28 mile

RWright

Guru
Is there a way to edit the log on Strava? I went for a run this evening after cycling home, and it missed a massive section of my loop, decided to make me run a straight line and complete a 1:28 mile

I am pretty sure there is but unfortunately I am quite sure I don't know how to do it. I think Nigel probably knows.

I went out for a windy 15 miler. Slow grind but it was fun. I got a new pb on somebody else's Strava Segment. :smile: I went all the way up to 2nd overall, but there have only been like 7 or 8 riders on it. I hit it pretty hard but did not get the KOM. I was checking out the guy that has it and it seems he is a class A collegiate rider from a Town about 25 miles north of where I live. He goes to school in Colorado now. He is a member of CMI Greenover Pro Cycling (International), I am not quite sure what exactly that is. I am not familiar with all the sanctioning bodies and the politics of bicycle racing yet. I do know I checked out a recent ride of his and he did like 80 miles, in 4 hours, in the mountains. :ohmy: Even though I was only 13 seconds off his time, I still think he might be a little hard for me to handle in a race.:blink: I also had a nice tailwind.
http://app.strava.com/activities/46077916

I wasn't very thrilled about getting out in the wind today for a slow battle but I am glad I did now. I always seem to have fun after I get out and get going, just making myself get out there is the hard part.

Try Sporttracks you can edit the track though I don't know how much it corrects large sections, it will give an average speed over the distance. You can buy plugins (not overly expensive but add up, though you get free trial periods). I just usually correct wayward tracks that are off the road.
The beauty of these lights is that you can run them almost all day on low power, so even in murky conditions you have a bright light. The other option are Q5 lights.
CREE Q5 Bicycle Bike Cycle Led Head / Front Light

Braved the frost and got out just after 6am just in case the snow showers return later. Pretty chilly but worked quite hard to keep warm. Actually hit 14mph average which is about the best I can currently manage. Pretty tame compared to some of the youngsters on here but I am quite happy with it. :smile:
Getting out for a leisure ride at 6am is far more impressive than a high Avg speed.:bravo:

Braved the frost and got out just after 6am just in case the snow showers return later. Pretty chilly but worked quite hard to keep warm. Actually hit 14mph average which is about the best I can currently manage. Pretty tame compared to some of the youngsters on here but I am quite happy with it. :smile:
Got to agree with Brian there Mo, besides thats been about my current avg this last month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom