Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

http://app.strava.com/activities/45951227
Out for the commute, was tempted to carry on once home, but still not feeling great and taking no chances. Wasn't epically fast but still past 3 cyclists on the way in... all on climbs :smile: Might have made slightly better time, but I stopped to help an old dog find his home. Perphaps my 100 hours of cycling this year hasn't all been burnt by my illness, yay! Little bit tempted to try out my ice spiker tires on the Malvern Hills, before the last of this snow passes, but only having a single speed bike to run them on and my body only at half fitness, I doubt it will happen... I'll keep gazing at the hills and dreaming...

Creakyknee

Not managed to get out much recently, illness, work, weather, bottom bracket, so enjoyed a nice hilly ride today. Was bleedin cold though and wind about 20 mph, still was good to be out.
http://app.strava.com/activities/45941334

Billy Adam

Well I only managed 6 miles on the turbo but it's better than nothing. I did an average of 17.4mph which is about 2mph faster than ever before. I hadn't used the turbo in about 6 weeks so it really shows how much my fitness has improved in that time.

What really gets me on the turbo is the mix of hot and cold. I was doing it in the garage where it is 0C and I had a strong fan on me and still I was sweating a little bits in places, whereas the bits the fan was actually hitting was freezing. :wacko: It's crazy. I guess I need more than 1 fan but on lower settings. I don't think you'd ever be able to replicate the conditions of cycling on the road though. It's so easy outdoors, just gotta look at the forecast and dress accordingly. I'm rarely noticeably hot or cold on the bike. Well except my face when it's below 2C!

The latest update strava did seems to have made turbo trainers work on there now, as long as you don't tick the stationary trainer box that is! Before neither worked for me and the averages were just totally wrong.

http://app.strava.com/activities/45949446
You could always get someone to stand in front of you with a hose pipe, if you want the full English riding experience :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I really don't know where you find the motivation to do those kind of distances in this weather. :ohmy:

I've just got home and I'm desperately struggling to find the motivation to go on the turbo trainer, even to just do a few miles..

Desperately chasing my first 1000 mile month, with this mornings commute of 28 miles I am now only 53 miles short - planning on doing that by the end of tomorrow.

Plus I am seeing the physical benefits, i.e. weight loss, which keeps me going.

Desperately chasing my first 1000 mile month, with this mornings commute of 28 miles I am now only 53 miles short - planning on doing that by the end of tomorrow.

Flipping nearly skin and bones here. Just looked in the mirror and was shocked.
You just started the year well Chris, and kept going, I have been missing rides just recently, major rearrange of the upstairs yesterday.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Fair enough, you'll easily hit that then! I easily hit my goal target of losing 1lb a week if I cycle my goal of 80 miles a week and I only really care about going faster not further so I don't have much motivation to go out for longer. Especially when it's so miserable outside. If it was 20C and sunny I might go out because I actually enjoy it :ohmy:

Flipping nearly skin and bones here. Just looked in the mirror and was shocked.
You just started the year well Chris, and kept going, I have been missing rides just recently, major rearrange of the upstairs yesterday.

I hit 12st 7 lbs for the first time today after starting cycling at 14st 12 lbs. I was originally aiming for exactly 12 stone but I think I'm going to have to go further. People keep telling me I'm looking very slim though, I hope I haven't got cycling related anorexia! :laugh:

fatCyclist

I'm starting from scratch today and thought it would be a good idea to join in with this thread.

I only rode for 10mins today because I need to slowly build up my comfort on the bike (soft sit bones!). Also I'm incredibly unfit and 250lbs. Still, it was nice to get out and test out my new bike. For this short ride I averaged 13km/h and got it up to 35km/h for a brief section. Although it didn't feel it at the time. The bike is deceptively fast.

In this spirit of sharing, here's my first ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/46025380
I intend to add a few minutes every day and continue to build slowly.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm starting from scratch today and thought it would be a good idea to join in with this thread.

I only rode for 10mins today because I need to slowly build up my comfort on the bike (soft sit bones!). Also I'm incredibly unfit and 250lbs. Still, it was nice to get out and test out my new bike. For this short ride I averaged 13km/h and got it up to 35km/h for a brief section. Although it didn't feel it at the time. The bike is deceptively fast.

In this spirit of sharing, here's my first ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/46025380

Well done, the hardest ride is now out of the way. Give it a few months time and you will be posting details of 50km rides (30 miles for us old 'uns!)

Snarf

Brilliant news, well done that cyclist!! :bravo:

Went out on a different route today and did 12.23 miles in 1 hr 1 min 40 secs. Reason it took me longer was due to two hills in my route. Got to a third hill and thought, stuff this, so I thought I would ride through the winter wonderland of Sutton Park as it is literally on my doorstep. The roads in the park were cleared of snow...mostly. At the bottom of one of the dips I came down there was what looked like fresh snow, so I thought I would ride straight through it. Foolish boy!! The fresh snow was covering about 10 feet of ridged ice. Needless to say you may have all felt that the large volcano Anuk Krakatoa had once again exploded as in 1883. please do not be alarmed as the disturbance in the force was me falling off my bike at 14 mph. Bike went to the left and I went to the right. Thankfully I managed to twist in mid air and my right moob caught most of the impact. Needless to say that any items that fell of your walls in Canada or Scotland as a result of the shock wave will be recompensed. However, I wouldn't change my ride this morning for the world. It was minus 1, it was snowing, I went up a number of hills where I thought I would keel over and I fell of my bike, and I pigging loved it! One sorry note to sound though, was that the biscuits I was carrying in my jacket were unavoidably crushed in the fall. I am weeping for their loss as I write. Ride strong, ride safe my friends.:wacko:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Good idea, the more the merrier. :smile: Well done on your first ride, just keep building up slowly and you will be doing big distances before you know it.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Brilliant news, well done that cyclist!! :bravo:

Went out on a different route today and did 12.23 miles in 1 hr 1 min 40 secs. Reason it took me longer was due to two hills in my route. Got to a third hill and thought, stuff this, so I thought I would ride through the winter wonderland of Sutton Park as it is literally on my doorstep. The roads in the park were cleared of snow...mostly. At the bottom of one of the dips I came down there was what looked like fresh snow, so I thought I would ride straight through it. Foolish boy!! The fresh snow was covering about 10 feet of ridged ice. Needless to say you may have all felt that the large volcano Anuk Krakatoa had once again exploded as in 1883. please do not be alarmed as the disturbance in the force was me falling off my bike at 14 mph. Bike went to the left and I went to the right. Thankfully I managed to twist in mid air and my right moob caught most of the impact. Needless to say that any items that fell of your walls in Canada or Scotland as a result of the shock wave will be recompensed. However, I wouldn't change my ride this morning for the world. It was minus 1, it was snowing, I went up a number of hills where I thought I would keel over and I fell of my bike, and I pigging loved it! One sorry note to sound though, was that the biscuits I was carrying in my jacket were unavoidably crushed in the fall. I am weeping for their loss as I write. Ride strong, ride safe my friends.:wacko:

:laugh: Glad you're ok and that you enjoyed the ride despite all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom