Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
My New Year's resolution was to weight myself at the start of the month so in Jan I weighed 10st 10lbs, Feb 10st 3lbs, March, 10st 2 lbs, so my weight has gone down a pound to last month and I'm eating all I can shove down my neck, fruit, cakes, chocolate, but I still burning more calories than I think is good for me..
See I thinking if I lose more weight my strength will sap as well..
So if I'm 5ft 10 tall and healthy what should be my proper weight then.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

So I forced myself out and then came the shock.......my legs weren't killing me! The first time since I upped my mileage a month ago that I haven't been in agony going around. I guess it was the combination of them getting used to it and me only doing 5 miles yesterday on the MTB. So I started off in earnest, recently I hit 16mph average for the first time (16.1 and 16.5) on short loops near my house but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hit it on my normal training loop as it's quite hilly and there are a few junctions and some narrow points where you have to slow down.

However with my legs not hurting I flew along and was doing 17.0 mph average until I got 3/4 of the way around. Then I stopped when I put my foot down on the road my cleat got muddy and when I started off again I couldn't clip back in so had to stop again to clean my shoe. Coupled with stopping for a junction and temporary traffic lights my average ended up down at 16.6 but I am still very happy with that. ^_^

Out of 8 segments I got 3 PBs and 3 second places. The other two I stopped on for the aforementioned reasons so was never going to do anything on those. As I do this route a couple of times a week I rarely get any top 3 places and when I do it's normally because the wind was blowing in a certain direction. It's almost like someone else was on the bike instead of me.

Not expecting to top that any time soon but just pleased that after 6 months of every ride being 15.something mph I am now in the 16s. :smile:

http://app.strava.com/activities/45168720

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
All this talk about weight made me weigh myself. I've lost another 4lb in the last four weeks, now under 15st for the first time since I don't know when. I have lost 1st 2lb this year so far, I think I said at the beginning of the year I wanted to lose a couple of stone, so half way there.

I haven't changed my eating habits at all so it is all down to the cycling.

IanA

Welldone Typhon, it's nice to know its going to get easier. For me, my legs scream at me every time I go out and the burn and pain if you try to work them hard up a hill....it's always a mental battle to shut off the hurt and to keep going.

And Supersuperleeds , well done to you too, you'll be the 10st whippet soon !

IanA

Forced myself out this afternoon too, but didn't really enjoy it all that much. Headwind to start then my lower back got achy and my saddle area is still giving me problems. Spoils your ride when you can't get comfy :sad: Roads were filthy too.

Nice Mo. I have the same problem with roads in North stoke/Cheshire area, filth with salt and such poor condition.

I went to the Kidsgrove Wheelers turbo evening last night. Nice old guy there ask "what you doing Thursday?"
hummm..... thought, now how do I answer this? "errr mum......nothing" I replied.
"you are now" he said ........

I've been dragged into cycling n a small group tomorrow for around 25 miles. The most I have ever cycled, and I, like you Mo only hope my ass can stand the punishment for that long, it's already slightly sore !

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Nice Mo. I have the same problem with roads in North stoke/Cheshire area, filth with salt and such poor condition.

I went to the Kidsgrove Wheelers turbo evening last night. Nice old guy there ask "what you doing Thursday?"
hummm..... thought, now how do I answer this? "errr mum......nothing" I replied.

I've been dragged into cycling n a small group tomorrow for around 25 miles. The most I have ever cycled, and I, like you Mo only hope my ass can stand the punishment for that long, it's already slightly sore !
That was really nice of him, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Get yourself some sudocrem and give yourself a liberal coating of it on the effected areas, will clear up in a few days.

http://www.boots.com/en/Sudocrem-Antiseptic-Healing-Cream-125g_1666/

Scotty1991

Didn't enjoy much of my cycle today, i just had a constant flow of headwind! went down a hill and my speed decreased :wacko:
I see 2morro is a better day here.
Stop at lidl too, they have the cycling gear in.

Boon 51

Veteran
Anyone got a few pointers on how to set the Garmin200/ Garmin/Strava sites to repeat a lap that I want to do..
Its a 7.5km ride then a 14km lap and then the 7.5km ride back but how do I set the 14km lap up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom