Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I got a ride in this morning to my Dr.'s office. Slow thru town type ride there, twice as slow coming home because I was looking for the two bottles of pills and the tail light lens that I lost on the way there. :blink:

I talked to him about heart rates and asked if I could do the 220 minus my age thing. He pulls out a pocket calculator thing and starts punching in numbers and said "keep max rate at 130, no 125, no 120, yeah 120". I was sort of let down because I do want to start pushing up the pace with the warmer weather but I will do as he says. I asked him if I can push it up to 130 if I get in a bind on a hill or something, he said yes, that will be ok. Speaking of weather, it is beautiful here today and I am sitting here wondering why my furnace is running. I forgot I turned the thermostat up to about 68 when I caught my cold.:rolleyes:

I think I am going to order a Garmin HRM strap, my curb store monitor seems a little off, getting three consecutive readings near the same isn't happening plus it is manual monitor. I want the continuous monitoring if I am going to have to keep it lower than I like.

I was not able to get my Dr. to take me off any medications yet but he was pleased with my blood pressure progress and weight loss, especially the rate I am losing it. He keeps stressing not to lose it too fast. I think his nurse was impressed too, it has been 3 months since my last visit. She was asking me how far do you ride? how often? She wasn't fat but could probably use a few miles on the bike to tone up some. :whistle: Of course I knew better than to say that, even with the hospital emergency room right across the street.

I will still be going after more hills, just not as aggressively as I would like. I may have to settle for more longer slower rides but I need to get a HRM strap and see how I can do with the parameters I have to work within. One more good thing. I don't have to go back to the Dr.until December. :biggrin:

Stay within your limits on the training and stay safe.. :thumbsup:

If you plan a 30 miler, make sure you do 31.1 miles, that way you get 50km.
I used to think that, and make up the difference on the estate if I was short, but it just brought my avg sp down I think, and for the sake of 1-2km's it's not worth it.
Interesting ride this aft, that was after a record braking ride to the photo group. 9.3miles avg 15.7mph just one other p.b on it though a bunch of 2nd's and 3rd's.
http://app.strava.com/activities/45055634

Upto 18 miles on the 2nd ride I was only averaging 13mph but raised that to 13.8mph in the last 81/2miles. Those I did at 16.3mph.
8 p.b's
http://app.strava.com/activities/45055643
Got to get back to build units.

Reece

Veteran
Well went the long route home, however 4.5miles in the Garmin packed up. Will not record speed now, cadence records fine, satellite signall at 4 bars so ok just no speed so goes into auto pause email sent of to Garmin as looks like an issue with GSC-10 unit:sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
13.3m / 1.02.30 / 12.77 av'.

Filthy roads esp' by the farms. Bike and I looked a mess when we got home.

Today I learn't:

- that the effort expended on 9 consecutive up and downs on part of the route is not equal to that expended on the equivalent linear distance on the flat. Oh no! It's a heck of a lot more!

- that approx' 20 chickens milling about on a lane are a *loody nightmare to navigate through. They were very pretty and colourful though.

- that moving my seat forward 1" has stopped my left elbow hurting slightly.

Red Letter day then!

Hope that all the "Got Outs" had fun today.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Come on Mo! You have 12 days to train for it !
My saddle sores are just healing from the last one :blush:
Lets hope the weather improves and I might manage the half way badge.

Well went the long route home, however 4.5miles in the Garmin packed up. Will not record speed now, cadence records fine, satellite signall at 4 bars so ok just no speed so goes into auto pause email sent of to Garmin as looks like an issue with GSC-10 unit:sad:
Try taking the sensor off, and go for a quick run

Just over 27 miles each day! You might as well sign up for it, there are badges for 25%, 50% and 75%
I'll sign up but it probably a little far for me, mind once everyone has moved in I might be out a lot more well an extra hr or so on current figures that would up my mileage to about 40 miles a day out as the current average for this year is 26miles (or just over 40Km Reece), also looking at year figures I am finally approaching 14mph avg (last year it was 13.1mph) only a small difference in weekly mileage of 113.45 (last year 113.99), I need to up that a little to make my target of 6,000 miles this year.
Though I have ridden 40% of the distance I did in the 6 months I was riding last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom