Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA

Only did 8 miles in 30 mins today trying to get out before it snows. I was frozen again and wore two pairs of gloves for the first time.
Hey ho it's the first day of spring tomorrow so it will be sunny from here on in.

Hummm.... so sunshine from tomorrow.....I'm holding you to that !

We need to convince the entire country to open all doors and windows and turn the heating to max.....maybe we can create a warm spot over England and convection to remove the cloud ! hahaha

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Very frosty here first thing so decided not to risk a ride.
Went for a run instead, 7.4 miles in an hour and 15 minutes.
Am now getting the hang of running, was doing it all wrong, going out too fast and burning myself out in 2 miles, much better now I take it steady.
Hope to get a ride in tomorrow but forecast not looking too good.

Snowing here at the moment. Well done on the run. It's about 12 years since I last ran properly. Just classed myself as a fun runner but I did quite a few half marathons and very quickly realised that the secret for me too was to start off slowly. Used to get my second wind and get into a rythm after a few miles then could gradually get a bit faster and occasionally even passed the odd runner that had started off too fast.

simmi

Über Member
Snowing here at the moment. Well done on the run. It's about 12 years since I last ran properly. Just classed myself as a fun runner but I did quite a few half marathons and very quickly realised that the secret for me too was to start off slowly. Used to get my second wind and get into a rythm after a few miles then could gradually get a bit faster and occasionally even passed the odd runner that had started off too fast.
Thanks Mo, if you have got half marathons on your CV you will soon be doing 40 and 50 milers.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I'm affraid I don't do running so I go for a ride on my mtb... :smile:

Same, I've just done that in fact. Couldn't find the motivation to get on the lycra and battle with the school run and then rush hour traffic.

RWright

Guru
I got a ride in this morning to my Dr.'s office. Slow thru town type ride there, twice as slow coming home because I was looking for the two bottles of pills and the tail light lens that I lost on the way there. :blink:

I talked to him about heart rates and asked if I could do the 220 minus my age thing. He pulls out a pocket calculator thing and starts punching in numbers and said "keep max rate at 130, no 125, no 120, yeah 120". I was sort of let down because I do want to start pushing up the pace with the warmer weather but I will do as he says. I asked him if I can push it up to 130 if I get in a binde on a hill or something, he said yes, that will be ok. Speaking of weather, it is beautiful here today and I am sitting here wondering why my furnace is running. I forgot I turned the thermostat up to about 68 when I caught my cold.:rolleyes:

I think I am going to order a Garmin HRM strap, my curb store monitor seems a little off, getting three consecutive readings near the same isn't happening plus it is manual monitor. I want the continuous monitoring if I am going to have to keep it lower than I like.

I was not able to get my Dr. to take me off any medications yet but he was pleased with my blood pressure progress and weight loss, especially the rate I am losing it. He keeps stressing not to lose it too fast. I think his nurse was impressed too, it has been 3 months since my last visit. She was asking me how far do you ride? how often? She wasn't fat but could probably use a few miles on the bike to tone up some. :whistle: Of course I knew better than to say that, even with the hospital emergency room right across the street.

I will still be going after more hills, just not as aggressively as I would like. I may have to settle for more longer slower rides but I need to get a HRM strap and see how I can do with the parameters I have to work within. One more good thing. I don't have to go back to the Dr.until December. :biggrin:

IanA

Usual route today. Must remember not to go out when the schools kick out.
Just like to give kudos to the chap on the trek that overtook me and gave me a lovely tow, just about to go in front and take my turn and he turned off.
About 2mph faster behind him. https://www.strava.com/rides/45052423

Right next to the airport ! Where Flight Safety is and I'm back in the sim end of April ! I'll put the bike in...if it will fit in a saloon car.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom