Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There really are some great stories here, very motivating. I only had time to get 10.1 miles this eve as light going. Managed to average 16.9 mph but meesed up my route and missed a Strava sector as I started at the wrong point, DOH! http://app.strava.com/rides/24491448
I changed my pedals as the one's on the carrera were pants. I brought Exustar Look pedals from Ebay for £25 and some cheapo shoes from Sports direct, £19! Not only do I think that they have really helped but the shoes are very comfortable.

and some cheapo shoes from Sports direct, £19! Not only do I think that they have really helped but the shoes are very comfortable.
Which ones did you go for? Just been looking at their site, some great prices.

I'm thinking of taking a left before the hole in the wall and heading down to Hinton and then towards Fish Hill. I'm not sure I fancy climbing Fish Hill on my road bike though, the last time I drove up there the path looked very beaten/broken up. Not ideal for road tyres really. What do you think? There are some lovely roads at the top, you can turn either left or right at the top and find yourself on nice quiet country roads so I'm quite tempted to venture up there. Just not sure about that path.

Yes but at Broadway cross over the Oxford road towards Willersey/Chipping Camden, then welcome to my world. Saintbury Hill comes up on your right if you fancy a quite version of "The Fish"

jamin100

Guru
for the first time yesterday I broke the 40 minute barrier on my 10 mile commute home.
Going to work usually takes me 36 - 38 minutes but coming home is usually around 43 as its more uphill.
I was greatly annoyed with something that happened at work yesterday so it must have been playing on my mind and I went home faster than usual lol

Dmh140

Just gone out for my first ride on my carrera crossfire 2 hybrid and managed 4 miles i could have done more but it is a route ive set myself untill my fitness increases abit more i really enjoyed it though, but by heck ive got a sore backside do you get used to this or will i need to buy some gel shorts or a new seat?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

for the first time yesterday I broke the 40 minute barrier on my 10 mile commute home.
Going to work usually takes me 36 - 38 minutes but coming home is usually around 43 as its more uphill.
I was greatly annoyed with something that happened at work yesterday so it must have been playing on my mind and I went home faster than usual lol

Nice one, that's a really good pace! And yep there's nothing like some anger getting the adrenaline going to hit a really fast time!

13.1 miles in 1 hour 5 mins this morning. It was cold, damp and windy I was chilled to the bone, but my legs were toasty warm in the Lidl tights which are doing very well, wish I had bought more of these.
I think we are going out again before I go back to work for a more gentler 3+ miles.

Edit;

16.1 miles in total.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Just gone out for my first ride on my carrera crossfire 2 hybrid and managed 4 miles i could have done more but it is a route ive set myself untill my fitness increases abit more i really enjoyed it though, but by heck ive got a sore backside do you get used to this or will i need to buy some gel shorts or a new seat?

Well done on getting out there for your first ride. :smile: With a hybrid you'll probably just get used to the seat eventually as the saddle is probably not as hard as a road bike's one. You can get some padded lycra shorts/trousers if you want though, they'd make it more comfortable in the mean time until your body gets used to riding a bike.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

13.1 miles in 1 hour 5 mins this morning. It was cold, damp and windy I was chilled to the bone, but my legs were toasty warm in the Lidl tights which are doing very well, wish I had bought more of these.
I think we are going out again before I go back to work for a more gentler 3+ miles.

Nice one Brian. That's a great pace on a MTB.

I haven't had an opportunity to escape and get on my bike yet today, hoping to do so before the school run traffic starts. Don't fancy being almost run over by BMW X5s again...

Yep I agree it hurts a lot when you start but get some shorts/tights with gel or padding in to ease the pain.

Crosstrailer

Anger is fuel for performance....

Nice one Brian. That's a great pace on a MTB.

Cheers Typhon.
It's not a MTB though.
It's a hybrid type ;

C4ECBF93-F947-4CE6-BAC3-A260CCA6CC23-215-000000E0E001E433.jpg

I have lowered the bars down and seat up since this was taken.
I would like to replace the saddle soon but don't know what to go for.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

NIce looking bike Brian. If you switch the saddle you may need some lycra shorts yourself though! (if you don't already wear them). That saddle looks very comfy indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom