Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Just been out Broadway way to explore a bit. Didn't fancy climbing up Fish Hill after doing 34 miles yesterday though! It's quite a nice route out there. I'm looking forward to exploring it more in the future.

http://app.strava.com/rides/24567667

Legs really turned to jelly at the end of the ride but I can't ride on Thursdays so it doesn't really matter. Hopefully I can get back on the bike again on Friday. Pretty pleased with 55 miles in two days. :smile:

Legs really turned to jelly at the end of the ride but I can't ride on Thursdays so it doesn't really matter. Hopefully I can get back on the bike again on Friday. Pretty pleased with 55 miles in two days. :smile:
So would I be mate! I have covered a measly 27 miles in the same time.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Cheers Typhon.
It's not a MTB though.
It's a hybrid type ;

C4ECBF93-F947-4CE6-BAC3-A260CCA6CC23-215-000000E0E001E433.jpg

I have lowered the bars down and seat up since this was taken.
I would like to replace the saddle soon but don't know what to go for.

Very padded saddle there. Will be putting a lot of pressure on the soft tissues around your sit bones. Harder saddle + padded shorts will make a huge difference.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Thanks, that's what I am looking for, any recommendations for the replacement saddle? Please.

Getting the right saddle is a black art as we're all different. Try a charge spoon. Cheap and if it doesn't fit you you can sell it on here for not much less than you payed for it.

If you're riding for fitness and you loose weight, expect your saddle needs to change as the weight comes off. You'll likely want harder as time goes on :smile: good shorts are a must. DHB stuff from wiggle is also a good place to start although I'm sure many will chip in with equally good options.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

My theory is that if your legs are like jelly, do one more hill. Jelly legs is about how your body works, rather than how it is made, so you will get very quick improvements if you push them right when they are complaining most. This doesn't work for cramp, aches or heavy legs - these take a lot more time and effort to sort out.

andsaw

I have a particular route, this week i have been doing three laps up from two and its taken me 1 hour 1 min to do 18.35 miles at an average speed of 17.5mph, and you know the Pink Floyd track Comfortably numb, it should say my legs felt just like like two balloons instead of hands, cause thats how they feel especially when more than half of it is against the wind lol, im just about to put my wet weather gear on for the first time and expect to come back soaking with sweat rather than rain soaked haha.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

My theory is that if your legs are like jelly, do one more hill. Jelly legs is about how your body works, rather than how it is made, so you will get very quick improvements if you push them right when they are complaining most. This doesn't work for cramp, aches or heavy legs - these take a lot more time and effort to sort out.

Interesting. After they started I seemed to have a second wind and was quite shocked to find that after doing a 2 mile flat section at 20mph+ that I was suddenly half way up a long drawn out hill doing 17mph. :ohmy: Which is probably the fastest I've ever pedalled uphill. That seemed to last a while and then they went again just before I got home.

It's the only time they've really turned to jelly like that. I didn't feel any ill affects after though and I would have gone out today if I could have. Guess I'll just have to push myself even further in future!

Oh and that's a fantastic average speed Andrew!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It's the only time they've really turned to jelly like that. I didn't feel any ill affects after though and I would have gone out today if I could have. Guess I'll just have to push myself even further in future!

Jelly legs aren't too much of a problem on a bike, but an activity where you still need to be able to control them fully, such as ski-ing, they are an utter liability.

andsaw

My legs don't go to jelly as such, its more i run out pedalling power until i get my breath back and get my second, third and on and on wind until i finish, but i must say it does get easier and easier and i find you start to get more pedalling power that you can sustain, and a big glug of water helps no end.

I don't want to appear thick but, What are heavy legs?

Edit;
Yes I have Wikipediad it, but still confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom