Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm about to enter my 40's and have abused my body too much over the last fifteen years, need to try and give something back now. On a second hand bike at the moment but hoping to get a nice shiny new one if the taxman is generous this year.
I had an alcohol dependency for several years, and I am not sure what damage the paracetamol o.d's may have caused (nothing that seems permanent), so in a way, the cycling has helped replace some of that negativity, because when I am climbing whichever small hill, I forget whatever turmoil my head is in, and it's replaced with something positive for a while, drink never did that, it just led to the o.d.'s.
Just one problem, the hills I can easily get to have somehow shrunk a bit, these last two months. :smile:

RWright

Guru
:smile: Made the 500 mile target I set myself for February, with a whole hour to spare...
http://app.strava.com/activities/42607629

Very nice miles, I wish I could say the same. I got in 200 for the month but I am still on track for my yearly goal. January and February combined I averaged 300/month, so I feel ok with that for the winter months. I hope to get back up near the 400 mile a month mark starting in March.

simmi

Über Member
Just one problem, the hills I can easily get to have somehow shrunk a bit, these last two months. :smile:

If you fancy a challenge Nigel get yourself over to this one!
It's only about 22 miles from you.
Has hosted the British hill climbing championships and is given 9/10 in greatest cycling climbs book.
I am going to give it a go at some point this year!

If you fancy a challenge Nigel get yourself over to this one!
It's only about 22 miles from you.
Has hosted the British hill climbing championships and is given 9/10 in greatest cycling climbs book.
I am going to give it a go at some point this year!
I dont think I am upto that yet, it's actually quite a ride for me to get there and back.

RWright

Guru
I had an alcohol dependency for several years, and I am not sure what damage the paracetamol o.d's may have caused (nothing that seems permanent), so in a way, the cycling has helped replace some of that negativity, because when I am climbing whichever small hill, I forget whatever turmoil my head is in, and it's replaced with something positive for a while, drink never did that, it just led to the o.d.'s.

I am glad you mentioned this, I never even recall hearing of paracetamol until now. I used to drink my share as well, now I rarely drink at all, maybe once a year, if that much, for the past 10 plus years. Having never heard about paracetamol I was surprised when I read this from it's wiki page: Paracetamol hepatotoxicity is, by far, the most common cause of acute liver failure in both the United States and the United Kingdom.
Paracetamol overdose results in more calls to poison control centers in the US than overdose of any other pharmacological substance.

I feel like I have been living under a rock or something for not being aware of this.

Riding bicycles and getting exercise seems to help me deal with stress better.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Morning All

Whats the difference between strava & garmin map / tracking programs, I currently use the garmin one, but it seems you all use strava to monitor your progress, is strava better? & can I download all my garmin data on to it? Ive done 1,500 miles in 9 months do far...

Thanks

Morning All

Whats the difference between strava & garmin map / tracking programs, I currently use the garmin one, but it seems you all use strava to monitor your progress, is strava better? & can I download all my garmin data on to it? Ive done 1,500 miles in 9 months do far...

Thanks
:welcome: Rusty, the main difference is that many more people use strava to check segment time against others, create a strava account plug in your device, strava should see it and upload, or if you have all you files from your history you can upload them as files, failing you having all your history to hand ( I created a folder and copy my data from my unit into this, so I have a copy of everything) you can download your rides from garmin as tcx files these can then be uploaded to strava, or almost any site you want.
I also find ridewithgps mapping to be better too, it also analysis your data better than the other two.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Ok thanks for the reply!- will set it up tonight - actually not that fussed if i lose my history, might just run both.
Then i can upride my 40miler on Saturday - lets hope its not raining!

Ok thanks for the reply!- will set it up tonight - actually not that fussed if i lose my history, might just run both.
Then i can upride my 40miler on Saturday - lets hope its not raining!
Might be an idea to do from the start of the year though.
Well done by the way on 1500 miles thats some achievement

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Finished February on 866 miles, of which nearly 650 were on the ice tyres.

Started March with a 28 mile commute to work - chasing that 15 hour strava challenge, only need to do another 1hr 10 minutes.

Also broke 15mph per Strava (Strava always shows me being slower than my gps says?)

http://app.strava.com/activities/42647575

Well done to all those that hit their monthly targets. :thumbsup:

Started March with a 28 mile commute to work - chasing that 15 hour strava challenge, only need to do another 1hr 10 minutes.

Also broke 15mph per Strava (Strava always shows me being slower than my gps says?)

Mine always shows speed right but elevation is always wrong if I correct it, well done Chris.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

You're making great progress. I know what you mean with the gps. Quite often when I get back my Garmin might say 13mph but when uploaded to Strava just says 12.9. That whole tenth of a mph makes me seem so much slower! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom