Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Just finished my block of shifts (7am):hyper: so had a few hours sleep then headed out.
The weather was:sun: wonderful:sun: my bib shorts got their first outing and only wore a base layer with a thin cycling shirt on top.
I felt great to be on the bike unencumbered by 5 layers of winter gear.
I missed my club ride this Sunday but someone posted the route so I uploaded it to my Garmin and was off, I didn't do the whole route but modified it to suit my needs.
It was my most enjoyable solo ride of the year, sunshine, birdsong and only a light breeze what more could you ask.
41.1 miles in 2:25:05 at 17.0mph
http://app.strava.com/activities/42560355
My first 40 miler at 17mph so got to be happy with that:biggrin:

Edit- Looking back at my rides don't seem to have done a 30 miler at 17mph so even happier, I think the warmer air and reduced clothing make a big difference.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just finished my block of shifts (7am):hyper: so had a few hours sleep then headed out.
The weather was:sun: wonderful:sun: my bib shorts got their first outing and only wore a base layer with a thin cycling shirt on top.
I missed my club ride this Sunday but someone posted the route so I uploaded it to my Garmin and was off, I didn't do the whole route but modified it to suit my needs.
It was my most enjoyable solo ride of the year, sunshine, birdsong and only a light breeze what more could you ask.

Edit- Looking back at my rides don't seem to have done a 30 miler at 17mph so even happier, I think the warmer air and reduced clothing make a big difference.

Great distance and speed. :bravo:

Blow me away.
It's made sod all difference to my speeds even dropping the rack & panniers.
But I nipped out and got these
http://app.strava.com/activities/42575131#715734761 4th out 8
http://app.strava.com/activities/42575131#715734762 3rd out of 8
http://app.strava.com/activities/42573734#715719898 5th out of 11
all little climbs.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've just been going through the strava data for my ride today, on one section i posted the third slowest time ever. Go me.

Did you still enjoy the ride though? That's the main thing :smile: Having taken up cycling at a more senior age than many on here I have no aspirations of doing huge distances or fast speeds but as long as I keep enjoying the fresh air and feel good effect I am perfectly happy.

I think we all have days when we seem to be faster/slower without any obvious reason.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
First ride back after 10 days with a nasty little chest cold. Coughed a bit and stopped half way for a banana, but legs felt good. Just great to be back in the saddle on a peachy afternoon.
http://app.strava.com/activities/42571612

Well done. Sitting here with a tickly throat myself and hoping an early night will nip it in the bud. Don't want to waste this lovely weather!

Did you still enjoy the ride though? That's the main thing :smile: Having taken up cycling at a more senior age than many on here I have no aspirations of doing huge distances or fast speeds but as long as I keep enjoying the fresh air and feel good effect I am perfectly happy.

I think we all have days when we seem to be faster/slower without any obvious reason.

Yeah it was great although would have been even better with a bit less wind.

Kins

Über Member
Just a small commute and a long walk with the dogs today, but had a result, got given two bikes for nowt. Walking along with the dogs and one of my step brothers m8s hollerd over the road asking if I wanted a couple of bikes as he wants to clean out his garage. I asked him what he wanted, and he said bugger all. I was very excited at first because he rides a really clean Giant MTB. Nothing special though, one full suspension mens MTB and a ladies MTB but sure I can find someone who needs a bike and will take them off my hands.

Me old man won't be pleased though, meant to be empting his garage while he's away as hes moving in a couple of weeks, not filling it up. ^_^

RWright

Guru

+1
The only way I will probably ever hit the speeds some of these guys do is if a big dog is chasing me.

Who cares, as long as you enjoy yourself. I have some woeful times on Strava, i just keep quiet about them.
Me too, though they do seem to be getting a little better.
Yeah it was great although would have been even better with a bit less wind.
Got me on a couple of north bound roads.

Talking of age I was 49 last Saturday, I am never going challenge the 20-30's and the bike not being a very sought after one, but it does me and keeps me fitter, and going out, otherwise I would be doing photo's all the time.

boybiker

Guru
I drove in today and I will have to drive in tomorrow too . Then Saturday I'm away training with work :cursing:. I want to ride into work Monday so I most likely wont go out Sunday. Will I be ok after doing 4 days of no riding? :ohmy:

Me too, though they do seem to be getting a little better.

Got me on a couple of north bound roads.

Talking of age I was 49 last Saturday, I am never going challenge the 20-30's and the bike not be a very sought after one, but it does me and keeps me fitter, and going out, otherwise I would be doing photo's all the time.

I'm about to enter my 40's and have abused my body too much over the last fifteen years, need to try and give something back now. On a second hand bike at the moment but hoping to get a nice shiny new one if the taxman is generous this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom