Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Longest distance and time on the saddle for me today. Can't wait for my new progel shorts to arrive as my 'sit upon' bones are rather tender!

42.54miles in 3 hours 12 mins

Mainly enjoyed it, but some wind seemed to appear each time I went down a particular area with no hedges. After watching the hill technique YouTube link (earlier in the thread) I think it helped my ride.

Been lovely and sunny and a great day to be a cyclist! :-)

simmi

Über Member
Just took the road bike out for just over 17 miles, averaged 16.3mph, definitely quicker than the hybrid, took one PB from 41st to 18th and knocked 23 seconds off it. Seemed a lot breezier than this morning.
Told you it would be;)

DaveyM

Über Member
I never have a lot of time on a sunday :angry:
So I went out for a training ride did a loop of 8.3 miles nice and steady aimed for 12mph (actual 11.81)
Then went flat out really trying to get out of breath 8.3 miles in 28min 19sec which is the fastest I have ever manages @ 17.60mph. :bicycle:

then a steady 3 mile ( just trying to survive)

:tired:

AndyPeace

after being plagued with falling speeds on my commute, I set out this afternoon chasin' a 16mph avg.
http://app.strava.com/activities/41258939 ... other than forgetting to take a few turns it all went better than expected... I think a plethora of miniscule gains helped today.. 1/ I'm not ill ( or at least less ill than last week) 2/ tires pumped up to 100 psi and 3/(quite possibly the biggest gain) I took the play out of the back wheel bearings. In need of 240ish miles to make this months target...so better get my skates on!

lloyd

Anyone keen for some rides in south london? I used to ride at a good level in Auz, but am now 12k's over weight and need to get back into it with some long easy rides. Thanks!

DaveyM

Über Member
hey guys ! just totted up on map my ride , And i know its p**s poor compared to some of you lot :eek: but iv'e done over 80 miles since the 2nd week of January lol ^_^

80 miles is pretty sweet in my opinion, keep it up :bicycle:

AndyPeace

Any of you newbies going to do the Strava Quarq power trip? 100 miles in one ride, done between Feb 22 and Feb 24. :evil:
I've got Friday off (but will be at work Saturday)... it's a possibility my heads up for doing it, my body is still thinking it over. If I'm up early on Friday I will likely go for it, though would do it with 3 or 4 stops at friends for coffee... would make a great day off! 100km's was a challenge back in December and I rode that, not realising at the time that my Bottom Bracket had completely blown it's bearings... the worse of that ride was sore feet, which I put down to the BB and partly bad cleat position.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
hey guys ! just totted up on map my ride , And i know its p**s poor compared to some of you lot :eek: but iv'e done over 80 miles since the 2nd week of January lol ^_^
Everybody has different circumstances which can greatly effect mileage.

If you like to watch your mileage, join mycyclinglog (it's free) plus get the mycyclinglog graphic into your sig, is very motivational watching your mileage going up, thinking another "x" miles and I have hit "y" really gets you doing more.

AndyPeace

That you rode a bike in January is stella! I try not to compare myself to others, I figure, at this stage, the only person I need to compete against is me, though I do get jealous of the miles I see others posting ;)

jim55

Guru
i put an advert on my local gumtree for a cycling partner and tdy(being a good day ,thought it was a great day to go out on bikes)before this we hadnt met each other so i didnt even have a clue if he/she was male /female ,a few emails and i set out ,
now this person had said to me they had limited exp and werent very confident on road ,,so i wanted to go to decathlon for a new jacket and i sorted out a fairly quiet route in my head ,i cycled down to meet them (opp direction from where we were heading )
met up (girl ,early 30s ,a bit heavy ,on a singlespeed )i was on my road bike ,the girl informed that she came from islay ,had never drove and was scared by traffic ,great start!
so we set off (top speed 7mph )and about a mile up the road i could see she was struggling so i suggested we stopped for a breather .this was repeated 4 times in three miles until she admitted defeat and phoned a friend to come get her (who wasnt in -more on that later) (apart from the speed she was really close to the kerb and parked cars ,very apprehensive around any sort of moving traffic and even got off her bike in the middle of a junction and walked across causing more hassle than she needed to (her defence was she was too stressed out -bearing in mind i was behind her and no need for panic at all)
so we were halfway to decathlon and i was thinking her plan was a good choice as i didnt want her to get out there and not able to cycle home .so ,phoned a friend ,no answer and i said id cycle back with her and make sure she got home ok
the route back was much the same(stopping ,speed ,junction walk offs ),anyway got her back to a wee cafe next to her house no drama (well ,you know ,no offs or anything )
she was well impressed when i told her we done six mile (her biggest cycle was prev to the shops and back(less than a mile along the canal path )
dont think iv ever been at that stage but if i was iv came on leaps and bounds !i mean im no pro and im rubbish but compared to her ,,,,anyway iv been in confusion as some posts in here are by people whos stats are a bit much for a beginner ,what struck me tdy was how relative beginner actually is ,!
canal path from now on !

simmi

Über Member
i put an advert on my local gumtree for a cycling partner and tdy(being a good day ,thought it was a great day to go out on bikes)before this we hadnt met each other so i didnt even have a clue if he/she was male /female ,a few emails and i set out ,
now this person had said to me they had limited exp and werent very confident on road ,,so i wanted to go to decathlon for a new jacket and i sorted out a fairly quiet route in my head ,i cycled down to meet them (opp direction from where we were heading )
met up (girl ,early 30s ,a bit heavy ,on a singlespeed )i was on my road bike ,the girl informed that she came from islay ,had never drove and was scared by traffic ,great start!
so we set off (top speed 7mph )and about a mile up the road i could see she was struggling so i suggested we stopped for a breather .this was repeated 4 times in three miles until she admitted defeat and phoned a friend to come get her (who wasnt in -more on that later) (apart from the speed she was really close to the kerb and parked cars ,very apprehensive around any sort of moving traffic and even got off her bike in the middle of a junction and walked across causing more hassle than she needed to (her defence was she was too stressed out -bearing in mind i was behind her and no need for panic at all)
so we were halfway to decathlon and i was thinking her plan was a good choice as i didnt want her to get out there and not able to cycle home .so ,phoned a friend ,no answer and i said id cycle back with her and make sure she got home ok
the route back was much the same(stopping ,speed ,junction walk offs ),anyway got her back to a wee cafe next to her house no drama (well ,you know ,no offs or anything )
she was well impressed when i told her we done six mile (her biggest cycle was prev to the shops and back(less than a mile along the canal path )
dont think iv ever been at that stage but if i was iv came on leaps and bounds !i mean im no pro and im rubbish but compared to her ,,,,anyway iv been in confusion as some posts in here are by people whos stats are a bit much for a beginner ,what struck me tdy was how relative beginner actually is ,!
canal path from now on !
So when are you and your new cycle buddy going out again?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom