Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That hurt a bit, teach me not to stay off the Bike for 4 weeks!
Well it rained and was very windy so I only did the 8 mile loop in 33min.
Maybe tomorrow will bring better weather.

simmi

Über Member
50 miles in 3:46:11 very slow average of 13.3mph

http://app.strava.com/activities/38954844

God what a hard ride today!

First half was fine but 2nd 25 miles was back into the teeth of a very strong wind, felt like I was going backwards at times:thumbsdown:

Headed out towards Nigelnaturist's part of the world, most of the roads I had never been on before either in a car or on my bike.

Had another Garmin Connect moment sent me down an unmade track with deep puddles (wet feet again)
When will I ever learn?

Back at work tomorrow so glad I got a 50 miler in today.

50 miles in 3:46:11 very slow average of 13.3mph

http://app.strava.com/activities/38954844

God what a hard ride today!

First half was fine but 2nd 25 miles was back into the teeth of a very strong wind, felt like I was going backwards at times:thumbsdown:

Headed out towards Nigelnaturist's part of the world, most of the roads I had never been on before either in a car or on my bike.

Had another Garmin Connect moment sent me down an unmade track with deep puddles (wet feet again)
When will I ever learn?

Back at work tomorrow so glad I got a 50 miler in today.
Well done, you've beat my times, well most, but then I ride them often bound to get the odd good day, but you have done it at 25 mile + so much credit to you. You were less than a mile from the house.
at the lights at the end of this section turn right 1 mile my house.
http://app.strava.com/activities/38954844#635617481
I would be happy doing that distance in these winds at that speed.
I only nipped to the shops, but I had an ulterior motive too, to get a K.O.M. back (not much of one since not many riders on it) I was only 2's quicker but almost 2mph faster.
My first ever timing for it was back in Oct I did it @ 12.5mph and 39's, today I managed the heady speed of 21.3mph in 23's
http://app.strava.com/activities/38960256#635694706
I set some local sections up so I could see, how I improve general after a ride, I always find the first 10 miles or so hard work, after that I seem to cycle better, to point, anyway some guy went round all my segments and broke most of my times, good for him, but when I looked at the ride he did I had a feeling he had just gone out to get the K.O.M.'s, I felt oh well, for a day or so, I never thought I would get it back, (what with knocking on 50 next year), so I thought today, since I wasn't going to get out much (bike maintenance) I would take the panniers of and give it bash, so I went to the shop at the bottom of the hill, climbed up Mayors Walk (short steepish climb) to get the hart pumping and went for it, I cant say that the panniers being off makes much difference, though that could have been the wind today.

Cheers Nigel. Yeah, they feel a bit sore, but I guess that's what expected. The seat is comfortable, as it's a relabelled Spoon (which I'm used to)
I need to get a new saddle, (mind a new bike might be nice) list of things I need to do this year, front and rear mech's change the shifters to 9/10sp, (need to check they will be ok, but I think they are fine), and cassette, new wheels (new bike or or not) chainset if my current one wont work with a 9/10sp chain.

Psyclist

Über Member
I need to get a new saddle, (mind a new bike might be nice) list of things I need to do this year, front and rear mech's change the shifters to 9/10sp, (need to check they will be ok, but I think they are fine), and cassette, new wheels (new bike or or not) chainset if my current one wont work with a 9/10sp chain.

I'm guessing you have 8 speed 2300? If so, 9 speed Sora would do (the 2013 version with thumbshifters is now available online in a few stores) I believe your chainset may be able to take 8/9 speed, but I can't promise that. Depends which one it is, but you can check on the manufacturers website. That's if you want to save a bit on not buying a chainset though, otherwise I'd go for 10 speed. I've seen that the new Sora shifters are £10 dearer than the 105 black shifters :blink:

AndyPeace

Not wishing to bore you with the details of my health but I have just got back from a stunned doctor who was giving my lungs a checkup. She was gobsmacked at the change in my functional breathing capacity and force, so much so that I am now categorized as normal. What magical treatment had brought about this significant improvement? Of course you know, "it's CYCLING", and that's what my Doc said too ;)

Not wishing to bore you with the details of my health but I have just got back from a stunned doctor who was giving my lungs a checkup. She was gobsmacked at the change in my functional breathing capacity and force, so much so that I am now categorized as normal. What magical treatment had brought about this significant improvement? Of course you know, "it's CYCLING", and that's what my Doc said too ;)
Excellent News Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom