Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
Super, very nice miles for this time of year and the weather conditions I have been reading about. Nice work. :thumbsup:

I am going out in a few minutes, very windy today, a front coming with chance of snow tomorrow afternoon. I doubt if I will get a chance to ride tomorrow before the snow starts because of work. It is supposed to stick so it may be a good day for a day off. :smile: I am going to take a heavy bike today because the wind is gusting, I don't feel like fighting the front wheel blowing on my lighter bike. I think I will be getting my time and money's worth on my ride today.

Kins

Über Member
Been riding my Trek 4300 since I came back to cycling but bought another cheap bike as a winter road commuter for when its not snowing. Few bits of maintenance needed, and regreasings the hubs and BB and the removal of half a bush wrapped round the rear cassette and it was ready for a trial ride to work (as the sun was out all day!)

Wow road bikes are different! Dunno if I will get used to down tube shifters after easy to use thumb ones! The speed difference from my winter MTB tyres was apparent just as I left the cul-de-sac. Really don't like having to swap my hands from hoods to lowers (or what ever you call them) when slowing down, as I seem to naturally change up to hoods as I sit up to brake for roundabouts etc. All in all it went ok, but decided the old heavy rims need changing and some decent brake blocks need fitting. Might even see if I can pick up a pair of combined shifters if I can't get used to the downtube ones. 10 miles done anyway, and a road bike working. Its all good.

Been riding my Trek 4300 since I came back to cycling but bought another cheap bike as a winter road commuter for when its not snowing. Few bits of maintenance needed, and regreasings the hubs and BB and the removal of half a bush wrapped round the rear cassette and it was ready for a trial ride to work (as the sun was out all day!)

Wow road bikes are different! Dunno if I will get used to down tube shifters after easy to use thumb ones! The speed difference from my winter MTB tyres was apparent just as I left the cul-de-sac. Really don't like having to swap my hands from hoods to lowers (or what ever you call them) when slowing down, as I seem to naturally change up to hoods as I sit up to brake for roundabouts etc. All in all it went ok, but decided the old heavy rims need changing and some decent brake blocks need fitting. Might even see if I can pick up a pair of combined shifters if I can't get used to the downtube ones. 10 miles done anyway, and a road bike working. Its all good.
Well done getting out on it, the new shifters are a world apart from the old down tube ones, you can pick up double and triple 8sp for £40-60 on ebay.

RWright

Guru
I have a Peugeot with down tube shifters. I actually was going to try and put some index shifters from a cheap mountain bike I had on it. I never got around to it because I am lazy. I just managed to get the mountain bike shifters off the bike and do just enough to the Peugeot to lose or break a some small part that goes on the rear wheel axle, I forget which now, I just remember it was stupid and will probably take me many hours to figure out what it was. :blink:

I now decided to leave the down tube shifters on the bike and just try to get it back in good working order, even though the frame is much too big for me, it still rode really nice and should be fun for a short ride every week or two. Some people actually love their down tube shifters but I prefer index shifting on the handlebars too. I think if you get used to the down tube shifters they are not that bad....or so I have been told.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Super, very nice miles for this time of year and the weather conditions I have been reading about. Nice work. :thumbsup:

I am going out in a few minutes, very windy today, a front coming with chance of snow tomorrow afternoon. I doubt if I will get a chance to ride tomorrow before the snow starts because of work. It is supposed to stick so it may be a good day for a day off. :smile: I am going to take a heavy bike today because the wind is gusting, I don't feel like fighting the front wheel blowing on my lighter bike. I think I will be getting my time and money's worth on my ride today.

Cheers did another 42 miles today to and from work. Furthest I have done in a single day, though it was split into a 25 and 17. Hopefully the ice tyres will come off this weekend. I am determined to get to 500 miles for the month though the forecast for tomorrow afternoon is horrendous for Leicester tomorrow, saying that it has been much warmer today and a lot of the snow has gone so fingers crossed the forecast is wrong.

Good luck with the wind.

I see your mileage is starting to shoot up, nearly 300 now, I think you need to have a rest and do some photography :whistle:
Not going to get much done tomorrow as I have to fix the car, 20 miles I reckon, which is a shame because I could have made it my best week ever, it means a 40+ mile ride on Sat, I am not sure at this point if I will be up to it.

AndyPeace

Not going to get much done tomorrow as I have to fix the car, 20 miles I reckon, which is a shame because I could have made it my best week ever, it means a 40+ mile ride on Sat, I am not sure at this point if I will be up to it.

Looking to make some big rides over the weekend and Monday, my original
target for January was 500 miles, but I may have to let up and just stick to 400, which only leaves 175+_ miles to go :smile: The freeze round here is almost gone, at least I assume it must be as I saw a guy riding in shorts tonight, had to check the garmin, -3'C. He overtook me but I surprised myself as I caught and took him by the nxt set of lights! Chuffed as he was on a road bike on skinnys and I was riding single speed with studded tires on my mtb... couldn't hold the pace for long(120+cadence) but didn't really mind, gave him a friendly 'you got me now' as he passed the second time...

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Doing my first Audax on Saturday, a cheeky little 100km to ease me into LEL preparation. I haven't done more than 20 miles on my 'nice' bike so far...will be fun!

, my original
target for January was 500 miles, but I may have to let up and just stick to 400, which only leaves 175+_ miles to go :smile: The freeze round here is almost gone, at least I assume it must be as I saw a guy riding in shorts tonight, had to check the garmin, -3'C. He overtook me but I surprised myself as I caught and took him by the nxt set of lights! Chuffed as he was on a road bike on skinnys and I was riding single speed with studded tires on my mtb... couldn't hold the pace for long(120+cadence) but didn't really mind, gave him a friendly 'you got me now' as he passed the second time...
likewise on the distance, I could do it, just but it means riding 30mile rides everyday. It was 1.4 degrees C warmer than yesterday. Though to be honest it felt colder.

RWright

Guru
I got in 16 this afternoon. It was cooler and wind from the north...so I took a more east/west route :smile: , but it was still very windy in some places making it much cooler than normal for me as well. An extra pair of socks handled the cold toes and a sweatshirt over my base layer rather than a long sleeve t shirt worked well too. It was not a bad ride at all. I do see a sprung Brooks saddle in my Townie's not so distant future though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doing my first Audax on Saturday, a cheeky little 100km to ease me into LEL preparation. I haven't done more than 20 miles on my 'nice' bike so far...will be fun!

You be fine and in good company.
Much more laid back then the wannabe racers on a sportif.
Though that doesn't mean that some riders are slouches.
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom