Show us: your log burners and open fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be honest, I use whatever needs cutting back, taking care of. :blush: Mostly oak and bullace. The joy of having this as your garden...

NR1F6292_small.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Mine is not exactly tidy and was installed in a rush about 15 years ago when the back boiler burst. The kettle heats up nicely but does not boil. I do not use wood but smokeless fuel of some kind. We used to use anthracite but coal merchant says he cannot get it now. That thing on the left is a practice round and is not live.
At one time we had no coal merchant and every weekend you were deafened by the noise of chainsaws everywhere but we had an open fire then.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This always puts a smile on my face:

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year.

Chestnut’s only good they say,
If for logs ’tis laid away.

Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be.

But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
Blaze bright and do not last.

It is by the Irish said,
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.

Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E’en the very flames are cold.

But ash green or ash brown,
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.

Apple wood will scent your room,
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom.

Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter’s cold.

But ash wet or ash dry,
A king shall warm his slippers by.

I just use whatever wood I find in skips or leftover from jobs in the house

Mine is not exactly tidy and was installed in a rush about 15 years ago when the back boiler burst. The kettle heats up nicely but does not boil. I do not use wood but smokeless fuel of some kind. We used to use anthracite but coal merchant says he cannot get it now. That thing on the left is a practice round and is not live.
At one time we had no coal merchant and every weekend you were deafened by the noise of chainsaws everywhere but we had an open fire then. View attachment 554702
I always have at least 2 kettles on the woodburner. They boil easily but because its hard water here, they stopped whistling along time ago. When they start to boil one goes on a very low tripod (not the right name) the other goes on the metal plate they use on gas stoves to stop milk boiling over. I use the water for washing up and even in the washing machine. My electric bill is slightly lower in the winter.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I understand that your wife's getting suspicious as you surreptitiously lop a few inches off her chair's legs each week.

I did get in trouble for one cock-up. I'd brought home the broken leg/stand from a coffee table my dad had, intending to glue it back together. Unfortunately I forgot about and there was a slight mix up ....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I always have at least 2 kettles on the woodburner. They boil easily but because its hard water here, they stopped whistling along time ago. When they start to boil one goes on a very low tripod (not the right name) the other goes on the metal plate they use on gas stoves to stop milk boiling over. I use the water for washing up and even in the washing machine. My electric bill is slightly lower in the winter.
Trivet?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the room's a bit chilly I bung more wood on.
Temp control on mine is more dependent on the airflow through the fire, it does have 2 different inlets though one below the grate and another above. The top 'Airwash' vent is the modified slider* that makes it a Defra approved 'Exempt Appliance' suitable for use in smoke controlled areas this does however mean it will only burn Wood and is no longer a 'multifuel' stove as to burn Coal/Coke you need to completely close the top vent and control airflow at the bottom.

* the modified slide has the slots cut in a slightly different position along the length so it only allows it to shut down to 25% open instead of fully closed, this reduces the smoke when it is up to temperature.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Temp control on mine is more dependent on the airflow through the fire, it does have 2 different inlets though one below the grate and another above. The top 'Airwash' vent is the modified slider* that makes it a Defra approved 'Exempt Appliance' suitable for use in smoke controlled areas this does however mean it will only burn Wood and is no longer a 'multifuel' stove as to burn Coal/Coke you need to completely close the top vent and control airflow at the bottom.

* the modified slide has the slots cut in a slightly different position along the length so it only allows it to shut down to 25% open instead of fully closed, this reduces the smoke when it is up to temperature.

Mine has an airflow control but less sophisticated. Mine's also "approved" for the smokeless zone we live in and is wood only. The shop guy actually talked me out of getting the multi-fuel upsell - and he was right, particularly as I've scavanged all the wood I've used from skips and the like. We only use the proper smokeless coal on our upstairs open fire shown upthread

Top Bottom