Rose bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So do I, but for somebody like myself who used to make part of my living exporting to Europe I know how some feel. To be honest we still do not know what is happening.
I believe from a VAT perspective we have reverted back to ROW terms, so zero rated supply to business customers outside the UK as the supply is deemed to take place in the country of establishment of the customer and a vatable supply to a consumer outside the UK as the supply is deemed to take place in the UK unless you are doing one of the exemptions and it becomes about enjoyment of the goods. From Jan 21 the VAT return will also change as boxes 2, 8 and 9 will capture goods passing through Ireland instead of the EU.
As for tarrifs and duties, I haven’t the foggiest like you. I’m signed up to some of the big 4 newsletters and CBI which is how I found this out.

GoldenLamprey

Their position was entirely reasonable, when they had no idea of what terms they would be trading under in a few days time. Hopefully it will be temporary, as I have had good experiences with Rose too. The UK should not be more difficult to trade with than other third countries, now that the bureaucracy is known.

Had another agenda maybe.
Yes, I think so.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Spotted a notice on planet x re the disruption at Dover and holding back EU orders until they will clear quickly..

Thursday night is rapidly approaching where that notice can easily become about EU membership

screenman

Legendary Member
Their position was entirely reasonable, when they had no idea of what terms they would be trading under in a few days time. Hopefully it will be temporary, as I have had good experiences with Rose too. The UK should not be more difficult to trade with than other third countries, now that the bureaucracy is known.

Yes, I think so.

Did you mean third world?^_^

Yes, I think so.
Until fairly recently, when both Rose and us were within the warm embrace of the EU, there was as I recall a bit of a delay in them shipping stuff to UK customers while they sorted the euro/sterling stuff. Last couple of years or so this became smoother and stuff from Rose would often arrive faster than from PlanetX when they were in one of their periodic logjams. And pretty easily beat Tredz of course with their shipping speed and general transparency about whether they held stock or not.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It appears that HMRC now expect foreign suppliers to register with them, collect UK VAT at point of sale and remit it to them as if they were a UK based company. I wonder what the reaction would be if other countries demanded that we collect their taxes for them.

I can’t see that low volume suppliers will consider it worthwhile, unless they see it as an opportunity for fraud. The linked document talks about GB, so arrangements in NI are likely different. Again, plenty of scope for creative use of loopholes I would think, but for decent businesses it just looks like unwelcome hassle.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When I looked into it earlier in the week I concluded that the big companies would go through the effort but small to medium will not. This will mean that our options for bargains will be reduced and yet again the big companies win. Sunny uplands eh.

C R

Guru
It appears that HMRC now expect foreign suppliers to register with them, collect UK VAT at point of sale and remit it to them as if they were a UK based company. I wonder what the reaction would be if other countries demanded that we collect their taxes for them.

I can’t see that low volume suppliers will consider it worthwhile, unless they see it as an opportunity for fraud. The linked document talks about GB, so arrangements in NI are likely different. Again, plenty of scope for creative use of loopholes I would think, but for decent businesses it just looks like unwelcome hassle.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021
And how would it be enforced? If I buy something from an online store in say, Norway, what's to stop the store from charging the VAT but not paying over to the UK government? I can't see what come back HMRC would have on them.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
And how would it be enforced? If I buy something from an online store in say, Norway, what's to stop the store from charging the VAT but not paying over to the UK government? I can't see what come back HMRC would have on them.
Exactly, that’s the fraud opportunity.

BalkanExpress

Legendary Member

Well they could sieze future shipments entering the UK, which is easier when everything has to enter with a Customs declaration.

More likely the Norwegian store will look at the initial cost of registering with HMRC and decide it is not worth the effort and simply not ship to the UK in the first place.

It seems that the scheme is aimed primarily at Chinese importers who use a UK address and are using this to game the system: please don't ask me how this works as I ready don't do VAT :wacko:

Reactions: C R

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's also extra income for the Treasury, as we used to pay German VAT when buying from Rose, and it stayed in Germany. So Rose et al are expected to fund Perfidious Albion at no benefit to their own country.

C R

Guru
The thing I don't quite understand is that I thought that duties and VAT were charged when the goods passed through customs, is that changing?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
On the Rose website------

Due to Brexit and the UK's exit from the EU single market on January 1, 2021, we are currently no longer able to ship orders to the UK. Orders that have already been placed before December 18th could be shipped. All other orders had to be cancelled. We hope to be able to supply all customers in the UK soon as a result of the free trade agreement. That is why we are currently reviewing our options.

The thing I don't quite understand is that I thought that duties and VAT were charged when the goods passed through customs, is that changing?
Yes, as I understand businesses will pay using a deferred scheme rather than at point of import in order to keep the ports moving and get a monthly certificate which should match the import records to include on the VAT return. UK businesses will no longer be required to complete EC sales listings.
It’s a bit of a chew as EORI registration is required and also if applicable MOSS.

Top Bottom