Rose bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

Banned member
Latest from Rose on their website - tone somewhat more negative/less hopeful than their last form of words which, as I recall, seemed to say something along the lines of hoping to open up again soon.

Very much an "if" about this statement.

Dear Customer,

Because of Brexit, we are immediately ceasing shipment of orders to the UK. We are very sorry that we will not be able to deliver to you, our valued customer, as we did before. If we are able to find an alternative solution through the free-trade agreement, we will inform you here. Thank you for your understanding, your loyalty, and your support.
Your ROSE Bikes Team

Fast forward to 2024 and they are still not selling in the UK. Not only that but other shops that initially tried to make it work have also now withdrawn from the UK market.

e-rider

Banned member
Mantel in the Netherlands also has it sorted. No orders to the UK over £135, though (that would mean VAT on delivery).

Mantel have since withdrawn completely from the UK market.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
That's a shame. Hopefully the new government will negotiate something around a customs union.

I have bought a few things from the USA recently and not been done for duty/VAT even though they were correctly declared. I think the flood of overseas parcels, whether EU or non-EU, means there just aren't the resources to check them.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
There's also still problems for us on the continent buying from the UK. There's a small Lake District company making bespoke upgrade/replaceable parts for SRAM components, that I'd like to purchase from. Things SRAM themselves refuse to sell and are unobtainable anywhere else.

Sadly my order would tip me just over €150 and as such they won't cover VAT and Customs charges. So checking online I think I would be liable for €33 VAT along with €20 shipping, obviously though I wouldn't be liable for UK taxes, so the basket price would be cheaper than for UK customers. All in I would be paying about 10% more than UK customers, if my calculations are correct.

Long story short, it's an almighty hassle and a bit of uncertainty, so I won't be purchasing anytime soon. What I might do though is order it and have it sent to be Dad's address and pick it up from him next time I'm in the UK.

It's sadly the same story with a lot of UK companies, even if they do go through all the hassle of paying VAT customs etc, the end price for us continental based customers is higher. On the few goods I have bought from the UK, there is always a customs sticker declaring what's inside and what VAT/Duties have been paid.

Top Bottom