RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done one Randonee, earlier this year. It was free (except for a voluntary donation). I nearly took leave of my senses and paid for a Sportive last weekend, but I came to my senses in time. This one looks like something significantly different (and I'm riding for Charidee). I'm actually looking forward to it. I just need to find a Peloton fantasist or two, to orbit, in order to amuse myself, I think it won't be hard to find one or two:laugh:.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's different because it's on closed roads, so not like a Sportive at all. Nothing like it in fact.

I've ridden sportives, group rides, FNRttC (I've only done two, but are my 2nd favourite group ride, really great fun, do one if you can) and MTB events, none are as good as the RLS100. Not even the Bike New York 5 Boros Challenge, Paris Night Ride (which was rubbish) or the Cape Argus.

If you haven't ridden this ride, then nothing written on this thread can get close to describing how much brilliant fun it is, (even in the torrential rain ). Until it's been ridden those who are habitually expressing negative and pessimistic views should STFU.

Those who are doing it for the first time, who have trained, who have spent a great deal of time fund raising, who have worked hard and gone to a great deal of trouble and expense to take part, those for whom riding 100 miles is a milestone, a big deal, I say respect to you, chapeau, I doff my cap, 'ave it, well done.

You're going to have a great day.

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've done solo rides, group rides, CycleChat rides, audax, sportive and Cat 4 races. All of them are enjoyable in different ways and are always what you make of them.

I've also done RideLondon twice, and doing a 3rd this Sunday (twice by ballot, one charity entry) and have loved both - including the biblical weather last year.

It is what it is, so best to not waste time wishing it was different in any way. The closed roads, spectacle of mass riders and iconic landmarks, the massed crowds cheering all go to make this a great event. So, do it if you fancy it, don't do it if you don't. But if you are entered, go to enjoy it and you will.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Blue wave B, for a 6:06 depart. Think I may have overestimated my ability when I filled in the online form, lol. Haven't ridden 100 miles for 2 years so it could be interesting. Looking forward to this now - just not the 3am alarm going off.

What's the view on the kit bags that you hand to the lorries? I am considering not bothering and just taking anything with me in jersey pockets. it's only about 7/8 miles ride home from The Mall. Really hoping to take enough snacks to not have to stop though. Hopefully it isn't warm and I can make 2 bottles last the distance.

Blue wave B, for a 6:06 depart. Think I may have overestimated my ability when I filled in the online form, lol. Haven't ridden 100 miles for 2 years so it could be interesting. Looking forward to this now - just not the 3am alarm going off.

What's the view on the kit bags that you hand to the lorries? I am considering not bothering and just taking anything with me in jersey pockets. it's only about 7/8 miles ride home from The Mall. Really hoping to take enough snacks to not have to stop though. Hopefully it isn't warm and I can make 2 bottles last the distance.
I'm putting everything I need in the (Tardis-esque) handlebar bag that I got from a well known chain of French sports shops. The ride is well supported (mechanically and nutritionally) so there's no way I'm going to need to faf about with kit bags and the like. My 'off' time is suicidaly late. I'm going to be leaving with the 'broom wagons':ohmy:. Good job the weather forecast looks good:okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
What's the view on the kit bags that you hand to the lorries? I am considering not bothering and just taking anything with me in jersey pockets. it's only about 7/8 miles ride home from The Mall.
Kit bags?
Big enough for what you'd want to put in them, easy to drop off and painless to collect. I was really happy for somewhere to put an extra top at the beginning of things (the ride to the park was chilly) and the cheese & jam sandwich I had inside that hadn't been through 86 miles of bumps and rain that I ate at the end. Some people suffered from having them left outside in a downpour for a bit (I got lucky) so an extra bag to waterproof things you want to keep dry is worthwhile if it looks like rain.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'll be interested to see how many kitbags actually get used, I suspect the take-up will be far less that for, say, the London Marathon where almost everyone packs up their excess layers, rice pudding, cans of Guinness, etc and collects them at the end.

I'm riding my tourer, so I'll have my rice pud in a pannier along with assorted other goodies and bits. Given my start time, I also expect to be one of the last to finish (particularly as I have a cold at the moment), so anything that saves faffing around at the end waiting to collect a kitbag will be a good thing.

Stedman

I shall be using my kit bag, but I shall be putting a small rucksack inside it and I shall also be sealing mine up with cable ties.

I have also seen these on sale on e-bay, but nobody was bidding for these!

sleaver

Veteran
At the end of the day, people will use it in what ever way they need. For example, I am staying in London Saturday night so will have clothes etc. There is no point in trying to guess how others will be using theirs.

Some people suffered from having them left outside in a downpour for a bit
Yeah, tell me about it :cursing: You wonder about the person who thought leaving bags out in the rain to make it easier for people finding them was a good idea! They probably said "Oh, they won't mind that their spare clothes, shoes, belongings etc. are soaking wet as it will be easier for us".

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Tsch, who'd want dry things when you've been riding in a torrential downpour for 86 miles.

I think you're giving them too much credit. I'd imagine 'this was how we did it last year' was the through process followed, some time later, by 'wait, should we stop putting them out in the wet do you think?'

Top Bottom