RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Worple road is in the process of being resurfaced, almost done other than the bit before the roundabout at the Wimbledon end. Nice smooth Tarmac, drove along it tonight. Wimbledon hill still as bumpy as...

Simontm

Veteran
But there aren't that many and on my solo training rides for last year I hated Newlands. Really, grumpy arse by the side of the road WTF am I doing hatred (first time I did it I managed to screw up the gear choice, almost have a clipless and end up by the side of the road with traffic screaming past at rizla distance and the chain dangling around my toes) on the actual ride I was quite a way up it before I realised I was on it and was wondering what the problem had been. Partly that may have been thanks to tapering and being fresher (I'd thrown the Newlands training ride in at the end of a long riding weekend) but equally I think it was the atmosphere and having no cars plus loads of bikes around me.

Make a list of what you are going to take so you don't angst yourself in to forgetting something you wanted to take on the day. Give yourself a bit of time to arrive OK and eat a good breakfast (if that's what you do). Enjoy the experience and watch the miles zip past. Save the worrying for when something does happen that you need to worry about (and I hope it won't.).
Erm, thanks but not entirely serious. Hence the whistle and smiley ;) I know the hills, still crap to them but have a nice rhythm going on Box and I'll pick up the lung I left on Leith a week Sunday. Newlands is a bugger because it starts off so easy and you have to drag that reminder that it changes right to the forefront of your brain. And yes, it is going to be great with no artic bombing past me in rush hour :smile:
Btw, whoever said use the right hand lane going down Newlands, remember there's the junction at the end and you may end up going the long way round ;)
My only real concerns have been talked about upthread - the sharp downhill turns with thousands of cyclists. Hope by that time I'm in a small group ^_^

Simontm

Veteran
Worple road is in the process of being resurfaced, almost done other than the bit before the roundabout at the Wimbledon end. Nice smooth Tarmac, drove along it tonight. Wimbledon hill still as bumpy as...
Yeah, had to go the long way home last night

slothy

Apart from hills. I 'ate 'ills :whistle::laugh:

The hills are what they are and over 100 miles the metres climbed aren't that bad.

Two things that the first timer should bear in mind are:-
  • Right from the start up until Newlands Corner, but especially between Hampton Court and the turn-off for Pyrford you should expect to be riding into the wind
  • Wimbledon Hill is steeper than you might think.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The hills are what they are and over 100 miles the metres climbed aren't that bad.

• Right from the start up until Newlands Corner, but especially between Hampton Court and the turn-off for Pyrford you should expect to be riding into the wind
Surely you mean "hope to be riding into the wind"? A nice westerly breeze, stiffening as the day goes on, would be just what the doctor ordered.

Simontm

Veteran

Surely you mean "hope to be riding into the wind"? A nice westerly breeze, stiffening as the day goes on, would be just what the doctor ordered.
Ah, guys? I'm on this run - if my commute is anything to go by, it will be a headwind all the way round :laugh:
In seriousness, the wind from HC to Pyrford isn't that bad, I die of boredom on Hurst Park Road way before the wind gets to me. @slothy I live across the river from HC so this part of the route is well known to me ^_^
And after 90 miles or so, any hill is steep, with Wimbledon I've got to remember not to attack the first bit past Wdon High and take it steady

sleaver

Veteran
Wimbledon Hill is steeper than you might think.
Also longer than you think.

As the route was shorter last year and two less climbs, I was feeling fresh when I got to Wimbledon, so went up a few gears, got out the saddle and went for it taking in the atmosphere of everyone cheering.

Half way up I was back in the saddle in the granny gear grinding away while trying to put both lungs back in my chest :whistle:

Great fun having a go though ^_^

U

User33236

Planning the route from my hotel (Copthorne Tara W8 5SY) to the start. Any local advice on roads to take / avoid?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
At the time you'll be crossing London on a Sunday morning there'll be no traffic to speak of. Just head east along the main roads to the extent you can around the closed roads. That probably means heading north up the east side of Hyde Park (there's a bike lane inside the park), then going along Oxford Street and Holborn to the City. By that time you'll find either loads of other riders or else some signs.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Stay north of the Knightsbridge/Piccadilly axis and you should be fine.

The "official" route from Central London to the start goes from Holborn via Smithfield, Aldgate and then straight along the Whitechapel Road.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm more worried about whether I'll be able to get off and walk after the ride given the state of my knee (although it is ok when pedalling)

Last big run tomorrow, sutton to box hill, and then the rest of the course to the Mall (to run over some tourists) ;)
Last training run done, quite hard work, but a hilly route to start from home to the bottom of zig zag road. Didn't do the last half a mile of the route, will save that for next Sunday. ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/353725769

My bike got blown over while we were resting at the top of box hill, and I then had a slow run to the headley turn as my brakes had got knocked and were rubbing front and rear!! Wow that was hard work! Also managed to drop my chain which was annoying!

Best bit of the run, top of Wimbledon hill onwards ;)

Looking forward to the closed roads :smile:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Last training run done, quite hard work, but a hilly route to start from home to the bottom of zig zag road. Didn't do the last half a mile of the route, will save that for next Sunday. ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/353725769

My bike got blown over while we were resting at the top of box hill, and I then had a slow run to the headley turn as my brakes had got knocked and were rubbing front and rear!! Wow that was hard work! Also managed to drop my chain which was annoying!

Looking forward to the closed roads :smile:

It's going to be a great day!

sleaver

Veteran
I remember last year a few of us taking advantage of the long downhill into Putney and the look of urgency on a volunteers face while he was trying to hurry even one across the pedestrian crossing :smile:

I've decided that last week was my last ride before next Sunday. Damn this dissertation that I am writing which is already making me wonder if I am ill or just tired. I feel better after a good sleep so I am guessing it is the latter and therefore am just going to rest and write. I'm not going to lose any fitness in 2 weeks and I know I can do the distance, so I'm not worried.

Well, apart from not falling asleep on my bike next Sunday morning as I can't remember the last time I saw that part of the day :wacko:

Top Bottom