RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Cross posted with pk99. I can't maintain 19mph for long on the flat but I can do 16

Neither can i solo, but there are loads of wheel to grab for a while as they go past, and mini peletons to get into also - it all works together to make average speed much higher that notmal riding

sleaver

Veteran
I don't think I'll have to worry about that one especially on hills :laugh:
What are you worried about, Leigh Hill is only the highest point in Surrey/London and the approach to it is downhill (mostly ;)). The bit that isn't will drain your legs just before you turn onto it but at least the ramps start off easy and get progressively harder before you have that final long drag after the last ramp. Oh, I forgot, once you start descending and think it is all over, it then starts going up again ^_^

Then you have the 90 degree bend after a long straight downhill to contend with with loads of people who probably don't know it is there!

Simontm

Veteran
What are you worried about, Leigh Hill is only the highest point in Surrey/London and the approach to it is downhill (mostly ;)). The bit that isn't will drain your legs just before you turn onto it but at least the ramps start off easy and get progressively harder before you have that final long drag after the last ramp. Oh, I forgot, once you start descending and think it is all over, it then starts going up again ^_^

Then you have the 90 degree bend after a long straight downhill to contend with with loads of people who probably don't know it is there!
Ah takes me right back to the reason why I hate hills - why am I doing this again? ;)

BTW, the Highways Agency was hard at work on Worple Road las night so hopefully we will at least get a bit of smooth riding before Wimbledon Hill.

vickster

Legendary Member
The hilly bit is relatively quite short, it's the overall time in the saddle will get me probably! The BBC weather forecast for the 2nd looks good though :okay:

My bike has been serviced and is ready to go :smile:

sleaver

Veteran
BTW, the Highways Agency was hard at work on Worple Road las night so hopefully we will at least get a bit of smooth riding before Wimbledon Hill.
They haven't put down that 'dressing' have they? I mean those tiny loose chippings that are a death trap to ride on unless they have been swept completely and have 'Puncture Avenue' written all over them.

Simontm

Veteran
They haven't put down that 'dressing' have they? I mean those tiny loose chippings that are a death trap to ride on unless they have been swept completely and have 'Puncture Avenue' written all over them.
No idea, they shut the entire road so had to go via Dundonald. I did see a tarmac machine though.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Some of you are over thinking this ride.

All of you regardless of start time have plenty of time to get round. (Baring major mishaps)

The hills arn't that hard.

You average speed will be faster because there's no traffic lights or crossings to slow you down.

Stop worrying about the day and enjoy it, it's great fun, I'm looking forward to it. My third time.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm more worried about whether I'll be able to get off and walk after the ride given the state of my knee (although it is ok when pedalling)

Last big run tomorrow, sutton to box hill, and then the rest of the course to the Mall (to run over some tourists) ;)

sleaver

Veteran
All of you regardless of start time have plenty of time to get round. (Baring major mishaps)
Couldn't agree more. The amount of time I have nearly said that come Sunday evening or Monday morning, those worrying will be on here saying how much they enjoyed it and that they don't know why they were worrying about the time :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Couldn't agree more. The amount of time I have nearly said that come Sunday evening or Monday morning, those worrying will be on here saying how much they enjoyed it and that they don't know why they were worrying about the time :smile:
Apart from hills. I 'ate 'ills :whistle::laugh:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Apart from hills. I 'ate 'ills :whistle::laugh:
But there aren't that many and on my solo training rides for last year I hated Newlands. Really, grumpy arse by the side of the road WTF am I doing hatred (first time I did it I managed to screw up the gear choice, almost have a clipless and end up by the side of the road with traffic screaming past at rizla distance and the chain dangling around my toes) on the actual ride I was quite a way up it before I realised I was on it and was wondering what the problem had been. Partly that may have been thanks to tapering and being fresher (I'd thrown the Newlands training ride in at the end of a long riding weekend) but equally I think it was the atmosphere and having no cars plus loads of bikes around me.

Make a list of what you are going to take so you don't angst yourself in to forgetting something you wanted to take on the day. Give yourself a bit of time to arrive OK and eat a good breakfast (if that's what you do). Enjoy the experience and watch the miles zip past. Save the worrying for when something does happen that you need to worry about (and I hope it won't.).

Top Bottom