RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
Well it's certainly miserable outside at the moment and after last Friday hopefully we'll have used up most of the rain by next week :blink:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The advance forecast for last Sunday was dire, so much so that I swapped my training ride to the Saturday.

When Sunday came around, it was fine. :banghead:

sleaver

Veteran
As long as it is still warm, what's a bit of rain? After all, those of us who did it last year have got no excuse :smile:

Just hope they don't shorten the route again just because of a bit of rain.

Stedman

The Metcheck forecast is fine. See: http://www.metcheck.com/UK/7days.as...&locationID=57206&lat=51.5&lon=-0.1&findtype=

I will not be impressed if it is shortened again because of a little bit of rain!

upload_2015-7-26_11-28-12.png

vickster

Legendary Member
As long as it is still warm, what's a bit of rain? After all, those of us who did it last year have got no excuse :smile:

Just hope they don't shorten the route again just because of a bit of rain.
Because falling and getting hurt would be a disaster for me

sleaver

Veteran
Ride within your limits. Others will be taking risks if it is dry or wet but that is their choice.

Look at it another way. If the weather forecast is dry, but it starts raining (who trusts weather forecasts 100% :smile:) 5 minutes after you have started, what will you do then? Carry on?

Or, say you had someone who was taking risks hit you in dry conditions causing you to fall and hurt yourself?

There are dangers be it dry or wet.

I stopped once because a rider and fallen to see if he was OK. He was, but he had fallen at the end of his drive, AFTER his ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not confident riding in the rain and there'll be others who are similar. It's just not worth the risk for me. If I have to ride slowly due to the rain, I won't get round. So there's no point trying. I had to deal with the disapppintment of having to withdraw last year. I can't again. End of :smile:

There won't be torrential rain without it being forecast. Drizzle for a bit I'll deal with it

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

Even if the full course is open, you still have the option to take either or both of the shortcuts that omit Leith Hill and Box Hill, if conditions are not to your liking.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd rather defer and have a chance at the whole route. I've waited two years to do this. I want the best opportunity :smile:

sleaver

Veteran
I think it will be a shame for you to pull on Friday due to a weather forecast. Or actually multiple forecasts because as it is 100 miles, it can be quite easily dry in one place but tipping it down in another. Lets say on Friday the weather is dry for Sunday but rain on Monday so you decide to do it. The wind picks up on Saturday and the rain arrives early on Sunday. Will you do it or pull out?

Last year was my first sportive and so I had never ridden with others. Yet I was put with over 10,000 other cyclists, some in the same boat (excuse the pun :laugh:), with the aftermath of a hurricane added to the mix and do you think I was confident?

You've said you don't like riding in groups, yet you've entered an event with 24,999 other cyclists so dry or wet, you'll automatically gain confidence there. So your already going against one of your worries without probably even thinking about it ;)

Us humans can do things if we put our mind to it and conquer things so even if it is raining, you would probably still get around ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
It's optional to take part. No one should be forced to take part of they don't feel happy doing so. You pull out and forfeit your fee and pay again, it's not a free pass

People have their own reasons for withdrawing due to the weather and not just because they don't want to get wet

Weren't you the one who told me up thread to consider my long term health, that's just what I'm doing :smile: I've spent the last 18 months trying to recover from an injury after being knocked off my bike, no fault of my own, and other consequences of that

Just like people are able to apply take part more than once :smile: I have my own feelings on that

Last edited:

sleaver

Veteran
You pull out and forfeit your fee and pay again, it's not a free pass
Well it is because you have that place secured instead of having to go through the ballot or raise money. You've also stopped someone doing it who would have loved to come rain or shine.
No one should be forced to take part of they don't feel happy doing so.
To be honest from what you've said, your not happy doing it so why withhold that place from others!
Just like people are able to apply take part more than once :smile: I have my own feelings on that
They still have to win a place through the ballot or raise money for charity though!

If your referring to me having done it last year, I had to make up about £400 of my sponsorship and this year is looking to be about £300, So that is £700 that I will have paid to worthy causes through my own choice and do you hear me moaning. Oh, and you can add on the same entry fee that you have only had to pay twice on top.

I think @CarlP will be doing it for the second time this year as well. Both times for charity if I remember correctly.

I wish I hadn't tried to give you encouragement now.

Top Bottom