RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
My start is 8:51 and I must admit I'm beginning to get slightly nervous about getting round in the time. I did the middle 40 miles, from just before Newlands to Thames Ditton, a few weeks ago at an average of 12.9 mph, but I've never ridden more than about 45 since my teenage years.

This Sunday's ride will be more of the course, from Kingston to Kingston, about 62 miles. If I survive that and manage the same average speed then I'll feel a bit happier.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
To anyone new to the route, I would like to point out one particular hazard point.

After Box Hill you go through the village and after a mile or 2 will no doubt be picking your speed back up. There is a hairpin bend which I know had a couple of incidents the year I did it (2013) and it is worth burning into your brain so you take the proper precaution and speed around it, rather than woooshing round the corner and making new friends with the spectators...

Locations

XB4R8qIl.jpg

70st.jpg

Far Approach

mdbp.jpg

Medium Approach

onzm.jpg

Near

8md4.jpg

Reverse Corner View

4tox.jpg

Be careful there guys.

I did write a detailed course guide based on my early impressions on the course prior to doing it in 2013. It is slightly out of date both in the course from Leatherhead no longer going to Cobham and up those hills, rather cuts straight to Esher via some easier hills, and also I wouldn't rate the hills as bad as I did at that time.

I guess for real newbies it may offer some help.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ridelondon-guide-and-info.136099/#post-2567147

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
To anyone new to the route, I would like to point out one particular hazard point.

After Box Hill you go through the village and after a mile or 2 will no doubt be picking your speed back up. There is a hairpin bend which I know had a couple of incidents the year I did it (2013) and it is worth burning into your brain so you take the proper precaution and speed around it, rather than woooshing round the corner and making new friends with the spectators...

Locations

XB4R8qIl.jpg

70st.jpg

Far Approach

mdbp.jpg

Medium Approach

onzm.jpg

Near

8md4.jpg

Reverse Corner View

4tox.jpg

Be careful there guys.

I did write a detailed course guide based on my early impressions on the course prior to doing it in 2013. It is slightly out of date both in the course from Leatherhead no longer going to Cobham and up those hills, rather cuts straight to Esher via some easier hills, and also I wouldn't rate the hills as bad as I did at that time.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ridelondon-guide-and-info.136099/#post-2567147

Good call. Top tip.

sleaver

Veteran
When you do finally pickup speed after the false flat at the top of Box Hill, be careful if you on the left hand side as it isn't the best bit of tarmac in the world. There is worse though.

PK99

Legendary Member
When you do finally pickup speed after the false flat at the top of Box Hill, be careful if you on the left hand side as it isn't the best bit of tarmac in the world. There is worse though.

false flat is 1.5 miles long from the National trust cafe to the Tree on Box Hill pub, 28m climb (according to a Garmin track)

Steppylud

Über Member
I completely buggered that corner up a few weeks ago, arrived in my highest hardest gear and met some traffic, so had to give way. Imagine tired legs trying to get going again up to Headley with lots of Wiggo wannabies around, oops

sleaver

Veteran
Oh yeah, the wrong gear excuse :rolleyes:

:smile:

Locations

XB4R8qIl.jpg

70st.jpg

Far Approach

mdbp.jpg

Medium Approach

onzm.jpg

Near

8md4.jpg

Reverse Corner View

4tox.jpg

Be careful there guys.

Is this where we have agreed to meet up and i give you fresh water and welsh cakes?

Simontm

Veteran
Is Headley that short ramp beyond the downhill after the turn? Never liked that bit.
Headley is when you go past the Box Hill look out point then climb to the real summit, going wth, the turn a sharp left at a give way.
Then it's Headley common, turn left into Headley and a fun sharp left then right downhill ^_^

philk56

Guru
Well we made our recce yesterday and as has been pointed out a hill's a hill but I'm glad to have done them at least once before the day. Leith was not particularly enjoyable although not too bad, Box Hill was a nice steady climb on a beautiful surface. However we didn't do too many miles between them yesterday, not sure how it will feel on the day after the preceding 60 miles!

Top Bottom