RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
That's what I'm hoping for to have any chance of finishing! Maybe they don't think I have a chance of finishing hence the stupid late start :sad:
In Velothon Wales, I started in the second to last wave which was only 20 minutes ahead of the broom wagon.

My training was non existent, I had never done that amount of climbing, and I hadn't ridden for about two weeks before hand or something like that. So as far as I was concerned, I thought I was going to struggle.

Apart from the first 40km, riders were spread very thinly so "groups" didn't really exist and because of my lack of training, I had no option but to walk parts of the two big climbs (in my defence, when I was going up them, there were more walkers that people riding).

Yet, I finished about 90 minutes before the cut off. So I wouldn't worry to much about it :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I'm sure we'll be fine as long as no mechanicals (I'm pretty much doomed if anything breaks)!

I think I'll be ok as long as I have plenty of painkillers handy! However, my mate hasn't done more than 50 miles (other than L2B years ago on an Apollo MTB), but we are hoping to do a 70-80 jaunt on the 18th July. Even so, I think it's still touch and go whether she'll go ahead with it :sad:

Simontm

Veteran
That's what I'm hoping for to have any chance of finishing! Maybe they don't think I have a chance of finishing hence the stupid late start :sad:
Well it's 12.5mph to do it from the last start and the option of taking a short cut on the A25 if time's are tight.
I'm sure you'll easily manage.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it's 12.5mph to do it from the last start and the option of taking a short cut on the A25 if time's are tight.
I'm sure you'll easily manage.
Yes, but that's an average with no stops. If I do it, I want to do the 100

Simontm

Veteran
Yes, but that's an average with no stops. If I do it, I want to do the 100
But no traffic lights, cars, etc,etc. Put it this way, I did the Hampton Court to Winter's Bridge section (65 miles) with a stop at Box Hill during rush hour in 4.5 hours. It is easily doable, with other people there, you'll be speeding along. Think of the traffic-free A4 , that'll get your time down at the very start.

Every confidence Viks! :bravo::bravo::cheers::bravo:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I did do a write up on the original route in my OP for RideLondon 2013 Anyone? Thread. Will try and dig it out and update it and post here.

It needs updating as the route no longer goes thru Cobham, but what has been discussed in these last 3 of is pages are covered.

Should also be updated as it was my first impressions having only just done the route from home the first time. My opinions may well have changed having done it more.

vickster

Legendary Member
But no traffic lights, cars, etc,etc. Put it this way, I did the Hampton Court to Winter's Bridge section (65 miles) with a stop at Box Hill during rush hour in 4.5 hours. It is easily doable, with other people there, you'll be speeding along. Think of the traffic-free A4 , that'll get your time down at the very start.

Every confidence Viks! :bravo::bravo::cheers::bravo:
Yeah I think you're right, even with walking and stops :smile: That's what I'm hoping anyhow! I still need to try to do the London bit of the route, probably done much of the rest, albeit with a different way home from Box Hill through Epsom

On the plus side a later start means not having to get up in the middle of the night. We are staying 5 miles away at the Travelodge in Barking which should help

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
What do you count as 'the London bit'? I'd not bother with anything north of the river for instance, the experience of riding it on closed roads is so completely different from riding it at any other time that short of remembering any nasty corners (the corner left down to the embankment almost caught a few people out including me because I was near the back of them at the time) I'm not sure it would give you much and I'm not sure all of it is even usable in the direction you end up doing it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess from Stratford to Kingston :smile: I'm ok with Wimbledon to the Mall

Planning Cambridge-London so will come back via the Olympic Park I think, as much to get the pay of the land. Me and my friend load at the same time but she Orange, I Green and looking at the magazine, they are a bit apart :smile: I'll have to catch her up somewhere - my weight (dis)advantage of about 35KGs and big thighs help me on the flats, she kills me on hills when she gets motoring (not least as she was brought up in the Chilterns and I in Bromley)!

Simontm

Veteran
I guess from Stratford to Kingston :smile: I'm ok with Wimbledon to the Mall

Planning Cambridge-London so will come back via the Olympic Park I think, as much to get the pay of the land. Me and my friend load at the same time but she Orange, I Green and looking at the magazine, they are a bit apart :smile:

Like @w00hoo_kent says, don't think you really need to. I think the start is a cycle-ban on normal days anyway and the traffic through to South Ken is a pita and that's without the CSH chaos on the embankment. Then you get the speedy part of A4 to Chiswick.

It's fairly flat till Richmond Park and Sawyers so I'd get a 10 miler in then hit the hill and go from there. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers. I really don't much like cycling in Richmond Park so I'll be glad when that's over. Although it'll be better with no cars!

vickster

Legendary Member
Another reason I don't like RP! but given the last start is 9am I reckon about 24.5k of them will be ahead of me :biggrin:

katymac

Has anyone not received an email with their start time? I've got mine but my husband's hasn't arrived yet (although his registration form has). The helpline recorded message says they are sending them out but I'm starting to get a bit worried! Also does anyone know if using a waterbus/watertaxi is an option for getting back to the start from the Mall? Thanks and good luck to everyone taking part.

sleaver

Veteran
Time for me to ask a question for a change :smile:

Considering my start time (06:4?) means my loading time closes at 06:06 I think and that I have a 3 mile ride to get there, am I going to need lights? Basically, I will need to be at the park at about 05 god damn 30 in the flipping morning :cry:

As far as I'm concerned, that part of the night day doesn't exist and so I'm never awake to know how light it is :smile:

Top Bottom