RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Wimbledon is not a tough hill in isolation, it's all about the 80 odd miles at a fast pace before hand that makes it sting a bit! If you were to go and look at it and ride it before the event to see a bit of the course then i suspect you would wonder what all the fuss is about!

The faster riders being set off first is sensible in terms of safety, it would be a nightmare otherwise with the numbers involved and it wouldnt be pleasant at all for inexperienced riders being overtaken by big groups nor for those doing the overtaking.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hi. Anyone riding to the start from Central London, Covent Garden?

Any idea what the roads will be like?
Empty. Apart from the other cyclists.

sleaver

Veteran
Just wear something!
There is another ride in London for that type of thing ;)

Did a Google search at work for pictures of last year as someone couldn't believe how bad it was. Some were not the sort of images you want coming up at work!

It's a few years since I went up Leith Hill and I don't think I've any opportunity to get over there to recce it before the day. I'm familiar with White Down though and I don't see how it can be tougher than that. Is it?
White Down is harder. Well, the second bit of it after the left then right turn.

Apart from someone stopping in front of me, the only bit that worry a me about Leith is the descent as it is in shade, narrow(ish) with a bad road surface. Mix that with a load of other people and the fact that it can be fast and you get a receipt that starts to make me nervous.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Indeed. There was a bad accident at he bottom the first year of RideLondon.

My trip down there yesterday didn't fill me with confidence it will be incident free this year either, although some of the more significant potholes have chalk around them so hopefully will be filled in.

Note I said more significant, not all. Be careful down there, far better get your speed boots a while later in the A25 descent to Dorking.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
this year i managed to get a good start time.

im off at 6:15 and my brother is in the exact same wave. my brother in law just 19 minutes later.

last year i think i was an 1:20 behind my brother in law so much better to start closer and try and keep ahead of him

vickster

Legendary Member
My friend has an 8.30 start and I 8.48. We are both somewhat concerned about having enough time! Would have been happier with a 7.30 start. That said I appear to have buggered my knee again so I may end up deferring again!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a few years since I went up Leith Hill and I don't think I've any opportunity to get over there to recce it before the day. I'm familiar with White Down though and I don't see how it can be tougher than that. Is it?
I managed to get to within 100yds of the top on my recce. Ok, very slowly and after my pause to actually get my heart restarted I managed to get up the last bit. I reckon a remotely fit cyclist could manage better than me, but it is quite far into the ride. Not as far as Wimbledon hill of course and the drag up coombe will feel unpleasant too I reckon!

sleaver

Veteran
That said I appear to have buggered my knee again
Do I remember you saying that it climbing that buggered it last time? If so, and it gets better in time, there are two shortcuts that take out Leith and Box Hills.

so I may end up deferring again!
I have a funny feeling that with the London Marathon you can't defer two years in a row and RideLondon is organised by the same company. It may be worth checking.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do I remember you saying that it climbing that buggered it last time? If so, and it gets better in time, there are two shortcuts that take out Leith and Box Hills.

I have a funny feeling that with the London Marathon you can't defer two years in a row and RideLondon is organised by the same company. It may be worth checking.
No I buggered left knee years ago coming off the bike and the right trying to get back to fitness for last year after the left leg got injured when I was knocked off. Nothing to do with hills, I don't ride up many!
Dunno on the deferring, I still plan to try. Seems a bit pointless without the hills

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, coombe lane from Kingston up to the A3 towards raynes park :smile:

I've been up newlands corner a couple of times. I'm hoping it'll feel less unpleasant with no close passes from cars!

sleaver

Veteran
Don't want to answer for Vicks but there's the up and downs out of Kingston to Wimbledon through Coombe, also call Coombe lane but not as severe!
Ah. All I can really remember of Kingstone to Wimbledon from last year is a flooded bridge and enjoying the fact that the sun was coming out ^_^

The fact that I can't remember any hills or unpleasant sections in that area is probably a sign that it is nothing the worry about as my legs normally disown me at the first sign of anything like that :smile:

Yes, coombe lane from Kingston up to the A3 towards raynes park :smile:

I've been up newlands corner a couple of times. I'm hoping it'll feel less unpleasant with no close passes from cars!
Newlands is the only hill of the 3 (well, speed bumps after Wales :smile:) that I don't ride as I can't imagine it is that much fun going slower than normal up a hill on a what is basically a duel carriage way :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah. All I can really remember of Kingstone to Wimbledon from last year is a flooded bridge and enjoying the fact that the sun was coming out ^_^

The fact that I can't remember any hills or unpleasant sections in that area is probably a sign that it is nothing the worry about as my legs normally disown me at the first sign of anything like that :smile:

Newlands is the only hill of the 3 (well, speed bumps after Wales :smile:) that I don't ride as I can't imagine it is that much fun going slower than normal up a hill on a what is basically a duel carriage way :sad:
Didn't they take out leith and box hill last year?

Newlands is a single carriageway isn't it? Scratches head trying to remember

Top Bottom