RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
Yeah, they did take them out. While I can understand Leith, I don't know why they took Box Hill out as that has wider roads and a better road surface.

Still, I think the weather made last years event and it was certainly character building. Plus in a sadastic way, fun :smile:

You lot will kill me, but, there's this little bit of me that would welcome that weather again but just that little bit better so that they don't shorten it :whistle:

I can also still remember having to duck when someone was determined to either hand me a gel or take my head off because I didn't want it :smile:

From what I remember Newlands is two lanes. I wasn't going up it fast yet I was almost all the way to the right going past others.

Simontm

Veteran
Yeah, they did take them out.

From what I remember Newlands is two lanes. I wasn't going up it fast yet I was almost all the way to the right going past others.
Erm...that's because they shut the road? ;) It's a single carriageway. You may be thinking if the dual just before you turn left onto Shere Road. Newlands is an odd one for me. Box Hill, just get up it. Leith Hill, just watch my lungs make a bid for freedom. Newlands? Just don't get run over ^_^ my performance changes each time and I reckon it's traffic dependent bizarrely.

Anyway, as I've said before, my technique is easy - into the lowest gear possible and spin away. ^_^

sleaver

Veteran
Well, I did know they shut the road Sherlock :smile: my point was that I didnt think Box Hill would be dangerous but then I wasn't the one who had to make the decision.

With Newlands, because the road is split on the Shere/Dorking side I for some reason thought it was like that from the Guildford side as well.

I did find Newlands quite tricky though. From what I remember (which may not be a lot as I got the road layout wrong :smile:) it starts off gentle and when it has worn your legs out, it kicks up a bit.

Anyway, my tactic is the same. When needed, lowest gear and spin. Although I do try and only go to the second lowest so that I know I have one left. When going up a hill with the legs stifling, it is a pain when you try and change down and don't hear a click :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Well, I did know they shut the road Sherlock :smile: my point was that I didnt think Box Hill would be dangerous but then I wasn't the one who had to make the decision.

With Newlands, because the road is split on the Shere/Dorking side I for some reason thought it was like that from the Guildford side as well.

I did find Newlands quite tricky though. From what I remember (which may not be a lot as I got the road layout wrong :smile:) it starts off gentle and when it has worn your legs out, it kicks up a bit.

Anyway, my tactic is the same. When needed, lowest gear and spin. Although I do try and only go to the second lowest so that I know I have one left. When going up a hill with the legs stifling, it is a pain when you try and change down and don't hear a click :smile:

1) Sorry was talking about Newlands not Box Hill :laugh: and trying to be funny...:whistle:;)
2) Nope, you've got the layout right. You start off thinking "hey, this isn't too bad, a bit like Box Hill..." then the ramp :sweat:

vickster

Legendary Member
Leith is definitely the nasty one, we rode down it first having got a bit lost and then we went up. I did think I was going to have a heart attack and had to stop around 100 yds from the top which was frustrating and recover a bit. That was better than I thought, I was fully prepared to walk some of the way! My pace was blistering at about 3mph so walking may have been quicker :biggrin:

Simontm

Veteran
Leith is definitely the nasty one, we rode down it first having got a bit lost and then we went up. I did think I was going to have a heart attack and had to stop around 100 yds from the top which was frustrating and recover a bit. That was better than I thought, I was fully prepared to walk some of the way! My pace was blistering at about 3mph so walking may have been quicker :biggrin:
Managed a mighty 7.3 mph average last time out and, frankly, I am happy to stop have a sip then head off again if needs be. On other sites, they are moaning about start times slowing them down, I'm looking for cover ^_^^_^^_^

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think with the shortening they took both hills out because of the descent rather than the climb, definitely Leith. Also, could taking them out as a pair have had something to do with road layout, I can't remember if you'd be in a good place to do Box, once you'd not done Leith.

vickster

Legendary Member
Managed a mighty 7.3 mph average last time out and, frankly, I am happy to stop have a sip then head off again if needs be. On other sites, they are moaning about start times slowing them down, I'm looking for cover ^_^^_^^_^
I must be in about the last group to leave which is a pain as I need all the time I can get!

sleaver

Veteran
Leith is funny for me. Im mostly fine with the three (four?) ramps, but after the third (maybe fourth) when you get to a junction and carry on round to the left and get to the gradual incline, that is the part I struggle with for some reason. That is also the point where my lungs start making a bit for freedom :smile:

I think with the shortening they took both hills out because of the descent rather than the climb, definitely Leith. Also, could taking them out as a pair have had something to do with road layout, I can't remember if you'd be in a good place to do Box, once you'd not done Leith.
Leith was 100% the right decision and even the pros took it slowly. That descent and thousands of riders may have made last years even the last as it could have been carnage.

The Box Hill descent isn't bad from what I know of it. Newlands and around Westcott are probably faster but route wise, they couldn't be taken out. Leaving out Leith made no difference route wise.

How does a start time slow you down apart from possible congestion? Also, what forum so we can have a nose :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Leith is funny for me. Im mostly fine with the three (four?) ramps, but after the third (maybe fourth) when you get to a junction and carry on round to the left and get to the gradual incline, that is the part I struggle with for some reason. That is also the point where my lungs start making a bit for freedom :smile:

Leith was 100% the right decision and even the pros took it slowly. That descent and thousands of riders may have made last years even the last as it could have been carnage.

The Box Hill descent isn't bad from what I know of it. Newlands and around Westcott are probably faster but route wise, they couldn't be taken out. Leaving out Leith made no difference route wise.

How does a start time slow you down apart from possible congestion? Also, what forum so we can have a nose :smile:

Coming down towards Headley and that left-hander concerns me - bad enough when it is just you and a couple of cars. Actually, since you did it last year, how bad was Church Lane towards Ripley?

On Bike Radar, people are moaning that they are faster than the times they have been given so will get caught up with the likes of me ^_^ Though I have to say, my current 14-15mph going on 20mph on the flat isn't too shabby :bicycle:^_^

sleaver

Veteran
Do you mean that left hander with houses on the right when going towards Headley?

As for Church Lane (Hill?), if you mean near Pyrford, I've had to look at Google Street View to try and remember it. There is a tight(ish) right hand curve but I can't remember having any problems. That doesn't mean there wasn't though and as I've only ever ridden that roads once, I can't remember it that well.

Thinking about it, apart from the Richmond Park accident that I missed anyway, I can't remember seeing crashes until around Leatherhead.

I think the problems come with all the different abilities. If everyone was the same, there could be more trust but you just don't know what others will do. That is just something that will naturally happen in a mass participation event but you get some people who just carry on as is.

Simontm

Veteran
Do you mean that left hander with houses on the right when going towards Headley?

As for Church Lane (Hill?), if you mean near Pyrford, I've had to look at Google Street View to try and remember it. There is a tight(ish) right hand curve but I can't remember having any problems. That doesn't mean there wasn't though and as I've only ever ridden that roads once, I can't remember it that well.

Thinking about it, apart from the Richmond Park accident that I missed anyway, I can't remember seeing crashes until around Leatherhead.

I think the problems come with all the different abilities. If everyone was the same, there could be more trust but you just don't know what others will do. That is just something that will naturally happen in a mass participation event but you get some people who just carry on as is.

Yep, quite a tight turn with loads of cyclists, same with Church Lane I imagine.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I was somewhere in front of the big one in Richmond Park, but did see someone off with a hurt leg there as I came through. I saw the aftermath of someone losing it on one of the big transponder ramps on the dual carriageway out of Dorking but can't think of any others. Oh, there was something right near the end on the run in towards Trafalgar Square which was caused by the marshals getting all confused and closing the wrong bit of contraflow at the wrong time on a crossing. Looked quite nasty.

vickster

Legendary Member
Coming down towards Headley and that left-hander concerns me - bad enough when it is just you and a couple of cars. Actually, since you did it last year, how bad was Church Lane towards Ripley?

On Bike Radar, people are moaning that they are faster than the times they have been given so will get caught up with the likes of me ^_^ Though I have to say, my current 14-15mph going on 20mph on the flat isn't too shabby :bicycle:^_^
That's what I'm hoping for to have any chance of finishing! Maybe they don't think I have a chance of finishing hence the stupid late start :sad:

Top Bottom