Resistance is futile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do the Borg ride bikes???

I give you Rebekah Borg

BIKE.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Why so ? I’ve got Deore 1 x 10 on both the MTB and road-use Hybrid. Way different gearing ranges on each, but simple efficient, fuss-free changes on both none the less.
And I’ve never hankered after any more up or down the range…..or between cogs come to think of it…..on either.

I’m struggling to imagine what I’d gain from anything else ?

Because on the MTB I can accept the large gear spacing and reduced chainline efficiency since my cadence is all over the place due to the terrain and I appreciate the simplicity when urgently needing another gear.

I much prefer the closer spacing of a double or ideally triple on a road bike; plus the cassettes are a lot cheaper too..

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve not tried a carbon frame, internal cables or electronic shifting. I have tried hydraulic discs which are pretty good, a rohloff hub which has been excellent for 18 years and tubeless tyres which have been, err character building.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why so ? I’ve got Deore 1 x 10 on both the MTB and road-use Hybrid. Way different gearing ranges on each, but simple efficient, fuss-free changes

On rolling terrain with 1X you can often need to change 3 or 4 gears as you switch between alternating downhill and uphill sections. With 2x or 3x you can accomplice the same change by shifting just one gear.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Because on the MTB I can accept the large gear spacing and reduced chainline efficiency since my cadence is all over the place due to the terrain and I appreciate the simplicity when urgently needing another gear.

I much prefer the closer spacing of a double or ideally triple on a road bike; plus the cassettes are a lot cheaper too..

Right. I don’t do hugely long stretches in one go on the open road on the Hybrid without stopping for pics, having to alter speed because of more City based riding, stopping for a mini break etc. So perhaps our riding is quite different. I can comprehend needing closer ratio gears to maintain a cadence when churning out the miles - I think….

crossfire

Actually I don`t think it matters, resistance is still a waste of time and effort. Oh and hybrid has disks, mtb has V brakes, not bothered as long as they! work

PaulSB

Squire
I suspect that tubeless can work very well in the low pressure / high volume environment of MTB tyres where it originated, however I think pushing to higher pressures / lower volumes (the worst obviously being road bike tyres) is going to be of questionable value and more trouble than it's worth.
Can I ask why? When I rode tubes my road bike pressure would be +/-100psi. I've been riding the same bike tubeless for four years now. Rear tyre 55psi, front 50. I could probably drop to 50/45 and really should try it some day.

There's no doubt tubeless can be a difficult initial setup but the riding benefits far outweigh the hassle.

Top Bottom