Resistance is futile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dogging.
Condoms.
Fixies.

Wait, that's not right.

I have tried dogging.

OP
OP
slow horse

slow horse

To be clear, I've got nothing against the things I mentioned. Just haven't gotten around to them.
I have tried dogging.
I pass lots of people walking their dogs. Seems innocent enough to me, and the poor things need exercise.

Do I get extra heresy points for (unsuccessfully) forcing tubeless on my Brompton?
What happened?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I seem to be resisting quite well.

Anything that is not user serviceable, or has proprietary parts, is not coming into my garage!

I was recently asked if I could 'have a look' at a neighbour's non- functioning 10 speed (?) Di2. I had to disappoint him saying that I didn't have the confidence to do that. Apparently his LBS had suggested a change back to mechanical gear changing.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What happened?

Ostensibly it worked; however the idea was ultimately canned as (unsurprisingly) there are no tubeless-specific tyres in this size and I had problems with punctures sealing at the tread but not the carcass. This meant that the tread layer would inflate / blister / pull away from the rest of the tyre body; causing both ongoing sealing problems and potentially early tyre death as sealant would accumulate between the two layers causing excessive wear in this area as it stood proud of the tread around it.

In addition the relatively high tyre pressures made sealing difficult / less reliable while the inside of the tyres I tried were textured; making patching / booting difficult to repair larger gashes from glass / flint.

I suspect that tubeless can work very well in the low pressure / high volume environment of MTB tyres where it originated, however I think pushing to higher pressures / lower volumes (the worst obviously being road bike tyres) is going to be of questionable value and more trouble than it's worth.

Oh, and as for the other bits I've tried / not tried - no desire to interact with any of thing things mentioned in my previous post and happy to see some others (CFRP frames, press-fit BBs) relegated to memory; if only on principle rather than any actual negative experiences.

Conversely, I absolutely love hydraulic disc brakes and can accept 1x drivetrains on an MTB; although I believe that's largely where they should remain.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
…….and can accept 1x drivetrains on an MTB; although I believe that's largely where they should remain.

Why so ? I’ve got Deore 1 x 10 on both the MTB and road-use Hybrid. Way different gearing ranges on each, but simple efficient, fuss-free changes on both none the less.
And I’ve never hankered after any more up or down the range…..or between cogs come to think of it…..on either.

I’m struggling to imagine what I’d gain from anything else ?

Top Bottom