Red Lights? What Do They Mean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Veteran
Yeah but it sort of keeps me real out there

I find it scary to remember a red light is not a shield of steel that rises from the floor preventing passage but just a glowing filament that depends on consent to hold tonnes back

Since my SMIDSY 6 years ago, I see no "shields of steel" when cycling. At roundabouts, or junctions when side-road traffic should give way, these days I always assume the worst.
I can see how frustrating this is for drivers sometimes, but I'm not the one to blame for this situation. Once bitten twice shy!

PK99

Legendary Member
I find it scary to remember a red light is not a shield of steel that rises from the floor preventing passage but just a glowing filament that depends on consent to hold tonnes back

I find it scary that the first car/lorry/van stopped is a shield of steel - but not against the fecking London cyclists whizzing up the inside or outside of a line of stopped traffic at a light-controlled crossing and not stopping at the crossing.

Psamathe

Drivers using bus lanes to illegally bypass the traffic queue I'm patiently sitting in. Grr!
My understanding is that a lot of bus lanes can also be used by cyclists, in effect also cycle lanes. I wonder how many of those drivers skipping into "bus lanes" are properly watching out for cyclists and how many just check for large obvious vehicles (busses).

Ian

Psamathe

In the last few days, I have commuted to work by bike, driven at rush hour and been out for a non commute ride at rish hour.
The amount of people in whatever mode of transport who do not stop at red lights is astounding. I always was taught to believe that a red light means STOP.
But it's only cyclists jumping red lights that warrants specific debates in the House of Lords and their proposals for specific legislation. Makes us all feel "very special" and privileged.

Ian

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Since my SMIDSY 6 years ago, I see no "shields of steel" when cycling. At roundabouts, or junctions when side-road traffic should give way, these days I always assume the worst.
I can see how frustrating this is for drivers sometimes, but I'm not the one to blame for this situation. Once bitten twice shy!

I cycled Dunkerque to Ypres last month and the difference in driving in Belgium is to be seen to be believed. Motorists there were so alert for cyclists, and indeed I was a bigger danger to my safety than any motorist in Belgium.

They seemed to be looking out for cyclists everywhere and not impatient at all

I often see them crossing the line 2-3 seconds after the lights have gone red.

I did see that a couple of days ago

I braked quite hard to be able to stop before the line and made it OK

then several seconds later a car shot past on my left WELL after the lights were clearly red

I mean - I do sometimes cross when it is amber - or even JUST red - if I would have to stop too quickly but this guy was way beyond reasonable

As someone once told me - a green light has a very clear certain meaning
the bulb in the green light is working

anything else should be checked

I cycled Dunkerque to Ypres last month and the difference in driving in Belgium is to be seen to be believed. Motorists there were so alert for cyclists, and indeed I was a bigger danger to my safety than any motorist in Belgium.

They seemed to be looking out for cyclists everywhere and not impatient at all

I did 1500 miles in GER*/NED then; had exactly the same experience! (and similar 2 years ago in BEL).
Just shows that human nature doesn't prevent this type of behaviour.

*(although the Germans really hate you riding on fast A-roads that you're not supposed to be on ... even at 2am when it's only you and 1 driver!)

PK99

Legendary Member
I did 1500 miles in GER*/NED then; had exactly the same experience! (and similar 2 years ago in BEL).
Just shows that human nature doesn't prevent this type of behaviour.

*(although the Germans really hate you riding on fast A-roads that you're not supposed to be on ... even at 2am when it's only you and 1 driver!)

I understand* that in Germany there are two standards of cycle track.
If approved by the German equivalent of CTC they are Mandatory, and riding on the road is illegal.
If not G-CTC approved, they are Advisory, not mandatory.

*From a conversation with the CTC Tech guy, ousted by Paul Touey when CTC became a charity as CUK

Top Bottom