Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The rate of heart attacks is higher on a Monday than on any other day of the week.

The RMS Titanic's chief baker nonchalantly stepped off the stern of the sinking liner and calmly paddled around until he was rescued at dawn. Experts note that he survived the disaster by getting completely drunk.

The rate of heart attacks is higher on a Monday than on any other day of the week.

Conclusion: The best way to survive Monday is getting completely drunk.

Petrichorwheels

The RMS Titanic's chief baker nonchalantly stepped off the stern of the sinking liner and calmly paddled around until he was rescued at dawn. Experts note that he survived the disaster by getting completely drunk.

I had the idea that if you waited until the last minute to hop off a big sinking ship you'd be "sucked" down with it. Not true?

mikeIow

Guru
I had the idea that if you waited until the last minute to hop off a big sinking ship you'd be "sucked" down with it. Not true?

Clearly not!!
I imagine if the thing has gone down properly below you, it’s just a sinking weight. Maybe if you were paddling alongside it then the draft could pull you under…..& likely the confusion and unintentional drinking of sea water would cause the issues.
Astonishing story (it’s on wiki).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Assuming space exploration is done in the known 3 dimensions which may not be true for that sort of time period.

Plus the added complication that earth gets swallowing up by the dying sun in about 5 billion years.

colly

Re member eR
There stands in Bradford what was once the largest textile mill in England.

Manningham Mills.

27 acres of floor space saw around 11000 men, women and children spinning and weaving some of the finest silks and velvet fabrics ever crafted. When the mill was run under the power of steam it took 1000 tons of coal each week to keep the huge boilers running. The coal being dug from the companies own collieries down near Pontefract.
To cope with the smoke and fumes from the boilers a massive chimney was constructed. The chimney of the mill is 249 feet (76 m) high.
It cost about £10,000 to build, and its total weight has been estimated at 8,100 tons. Unsurprisingly it can be seen from almost all of Bradford.

Samuel Lister called the chimney "Lister's Pride".
listers pride.jpeg

In a previous life (late 1970's early 1980's) I visited Manningham Mills a number of times and sad to say it was a forlorn shadow of it's former self. Still trading as Lister's but more than half the place was semi-derelict.

Dave7

Legendary Member

Manningham Mills.

27 acres of floor space saw around 11000 men, women and children spinning and weaving some of the finest silks and velvet fabrics ever crafted. When the mill was run under the power of steam it took 1000 tons of coal each week to keep the huge boilers running. The coal being dug from the companies own collieries down near Pontefract.
To cope with the smoke and fumes from the boilers a massive chimney was constructed. The chimney of the mill is 249 feet (76 m) high.
It cost about £10,000 to build, and its total weight has been estimated at 8,100 tons. Unsurprisingly it can be seen from almost all of Bradford.

View attachment 669764

In a previous life (late 1970's early 1980's) I visited Manningham Mills a number of times and sad to say it was a forlorn shadow of it's former self. Still trading as Lister's but more than half the place was semi-derelict.

I once read that, in its hay day Bradford had more Rolls Royce cars per head than any other city in the UK

Jameshow

Veteran

Manningham Mills.

View attachment 669764

At least it and Salts have been saved unlike many others ie Drummond mill!

Top Bottom