Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
The chesterfield canal doesn't reach chesterfield anymore as the M1 squashed it!!

colly

Re member eR
The largest gold nugget ever found is reckoned to be 'The Welcome Stranger', found in 1896 at Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
It grossed over 2570 Troy ounces of which 2284 Troy ounces were gold. (71kg 156.6lbs)

Today's quoted price of £1,483.79 per ounce puts the value at £3,388,976.36

classic33

Leg End Member
Harry Potter books removed from school library because they contain 'real' curses and spells.

The book series by author J.K. Rowling about a young wizard and his friends has been taken off library shelves at St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville because the school's pastor believes the books' magical spells are real.

According to Independent, the pastor named Reverend Dan Reehill elucidated his decision in an email to the parents of students, declaring that he had consulted with exorcists in the US and at the Vatican before outlawing the seven-volume tale of the boy wizard’s career at Hogwarts and his battle against Lord Voldermort and the forces of darkness.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Harry Potter books removed from school library because they contain 'real' curses and spells.

The book series by author J.K. Rowling about a young wizard and his friends has been taken off library shelves at St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville because the school's pastor believes the books' magical spells are real.

According to Independent, the pastor named Reverend Dan Reehill elucidated his decision in an email to the parents of students, declaring that he had consulted with exorcists in the US and at the Vatican before outlawing the seven-volume tale of the boy wizard’s career at Hogwarts and his battle against Lord Voldermort and the forces of darkness.

I try not to be staggered anymore at the stupidity of some people but constantly am. When you realise the pastor has no empirical evidence whatsoever of what he believes to then ban another work of fiction would be funny were it not so absurd.

Petrichorwheels

I try not to be staggered anymore at the stupidity of some people but constantly am. When you realise the pastor has no empirical evidence whatsoever of what he believes to then ban another work of fiction would be funny were it not so absurd.

Stupidity of religion i fear.
Since when did religions require evidence?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
47E122CD-51D4-47F1-BA3E-D7FCBF795FB0.jpeg

Petrichorwheels

"Practical" one here.
Turns out that spoons on its app allows you to buy thirds of pints.
Only thought they did that during beer festivals at the till.
Handy for top-ups.
And shades of an old youthful mate of mine who used to now and again buy two halves in an un-named public bar as it was 1p cheaper than a pint, it appears from my single beer delving into this mysterious world that
2 halves cost 1p more than a pint (fair enough I think - the rounding has to go one way)
3 thirds cost 1p less than a pint of same beer.
Maybe should get in touch with my old mate and tell him that happy days are here again, though I fear any advantage would be, er, swallowed up, by froth and air.

Tenkaykev

Guru
"Practical" one here.
Turns out that spoons on its app allows you to buy thirds of pints.
Only thought they did that during beer festivals at the till.
Handy for top-ups.
And shades of an old youthful mate of mine who used to now and again buy two halves in an un-named public bar as it was 1p cheaper than a pint, it appears from my single beer delving into this mysterious world that
2 halves cost 1p more than a pint (fair enough I think - the rounding has to go one way)
3 thirds cost 1p less than a pint of same beer.
Maybe should get in touch with my old mate and tell him that happy days are here again, though I fear any advantage would be, er, swallowed up, by froth and air.

There’s a couple of really good local non chain pubs that stock a wide range of ales. The beers are priced in three ranges depending upon strength, and they also sell 2/3rds measures which I’ve come to prefer. That way I can try out more beers.

Petrichorwheels

There’s a couple of really good local non chain pubs that stock a wide range of ales. The beers are priced in three ranges depending upon strength, and they also sell 2/3rds measures which I’ve come to prefer. That way I can try out more beers.

i used to often do the thirds during spoons beer festivals and sometimes in other pubs, but a non-beer fan acquaintance of mine questioned whether it screwed the palate. I decided that they were right (eventually in a non-spoons). And spoons of course rather sportingly allow you to taste stuff anyway so you can check that something too experimental isn't being inflicted on you.

Top Bottom