Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Over to you @classic33 for the source.

You only use it once a year for one portion of Christmas pudding!!

colly

Re member eR
At least it and Salts have been saved unlike many others ie Drummond mill!

Drummonds Mill.

One of the first mills l visited when l moved up to Yorkshire.
I had a plan of the mill and needed to visit every nook and cranny of it over a couple of days. On the plan there was a place named 'Top cellar'.
Well l looked and looked and could l find it? I could not. There was a cellar of course but no other cellar above it. Or below it.
I gave in and asked a bloke wandering by where it was, because l had been everywhere and only found just one cellar.
He looked at me ...

'Nay yer daft bugger. It's the top cellar. The cellar where we keep tops.'

Wiki: Wool top, a semi-processed product from raw wool. The process requires that the wool be scoured (washed) and combed and sorted. The longer fibers resulting from the process are called tops, and are in a form ready for spinning.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Drummond Mill.

One of the first mills l visited when l moved up to Yorkshire.
I had a plan of the mill and needed to visit every nook and cranny of it over a couple of days. On the plan there was a place named 'Top cellar'.
Well l looked and looked and could l find it? I could not. There was a cellar of course but no other cellar above it. Or below it.
I gave in and asked a bloke wandering by where it was, because l had been everywhere and only found just one cellar.
He looked at me ...

'Nay yer daft bugger. It's the top cellar. The cellar where we keep tops.'

Wiki: Wool top, a semi-processed product from raw wool. The process requires that the wool be scoured (washed) and combed and sorted. The longer fibers resulting from the process are called tops, and are in a form ready for spinning.
Another offcumden!!

roley poley

Veteran
It takes more electricity to operate the digital clock on a microwave than it does to heat food in it.
You can “zap” your meal cheaper than you can check the time of day.

Mr tight Loiner ,old hippy ,Yorkshireman, granddad, me, is always saying to his family unplug it 'cause it's still burning your brass on standby and of no use . . . do they listen ?? pah!!

rikki

Legendary Member
That's paywalled for me. I've just checked the spec on our Panasonic 800 watt Model. Standby power is 0.87 watts so the claim doesn't hold up.

So every thousand hours it uses 870 watts.
8,760 hours in a year x 870/1000 = 7,621 watts per year.
Enough to run at 800 watts for 9.5 hours.
Or approximately a minute and a half every day.

There would be some people who use their microwave a lot less than 10.5 minutes per week.

Tenkaykev

Guru
So every thousand hours it uses 870 watts.
8,760 hours in a year x 870/1000 = 7,621 watts per year.
Enough to run at 800 watts for 9.5 hours.
Or approximately a minute and a half every day.

There would be some people who use their microwave a lot less than 10.5 minutes per week.

Thank you,
I’ve been thinking along very similar lines myself overnight ( strange how your mind can wander in the early hours )
We use it for porridge, reheating soup, and as my wife likes her coffee scalding hot 😮, I “ nuke” her percolated cup of coffee for 30 seconds.

Petrichorwheels

Question, in these energy conscious times. If you switch off at the plug after every cook i assume it will spring immediately back to life as a cooker on restoration of power? No set-up issues? All progs immediately there? Timer function ready to go?
As folks can maybe tell i don't have a microwave at the mo. Plenty of clocks though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Question, in these energy conscious times. If you switch off at the plug after every cook i assume it will spring immediately back to life as a cooker on restoration of power? No set-up issues? All progs immediately there? Timer function ready to go?
As folks can maybe tell i don't have a microwave at the mo. Plenty of clocks though.

Yes. the clock will be set at midnight, unless you bother to reset it - but then who really relies on their microwave as a time piece.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Yes. the clock will be set at midnight, unless you bother to reset it - but then who really relies on their microwave as a time piece.
Me :rolleyes:. We have 3 "clocks" in the kitchen, a proper wall clock, the one on the cooker and the microwave and they all usually have different times on them. The cooker is most accurate, the wall clock is slow and the microwave is fast.

Top Bottom