Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
So every thousand hours it uses 870 watts.
8,760 hours in a year x 870/1000 = 7,621 watts per year.
Enough to run at 800 watts for 9.5 hours.
Or approximately a minute and a half every day.

There would be some people who use their microwave a lot less than 10.5 minutes per week.

I doubt we average much more than a minute and a half per day.

It will often be 3-5 minutes when we do use it, but we don't use it every day.

Seevio

Guru
I had a feeling that the microwave thing was going to end up being about total energy used rather than for each task. Another thing to consider is that a typical 800W microwave will be the output power. A quick search suggests that microwave oven efficiency is between 50 and 75% so they will use even more power when cooking.

mikeIow

Guru
That is some interesting maths!!
Quite a surprise really....but I can't flaw your arithmetic :okay:
At least we use ours several times each week. Beans, reheating things, usually start our jacket spuds: the latter can be 8-10 minutes before crisping off in the air fryer...
Mind you, our home "resting rate" is around 200-300 watts...that's a fair amount of clocks & TVs on standby (& fridge/freezer, cameras, etc) 😱

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
That is some interesting maths!!
Quite a surprise really....but I can't flaw your arithmetic :okay:
At least we use ours several times each week. Beans, reheating things, usually start our jacket spuds Mind you, our home "resting rate" is around 200-300 watts...that's a fair amount of clocks & TVs on standby (& fridge/freezer, cameras, etc) 😱

I bought some energy monitoring plugs and set them up with various appliances. We’ve a big laser printer in the “ office “ and I was surprised how little it consumes in standby and operation ( Mrs Tenkaykev is studying and the printer is used on a regular basis)
The plugs allow scheduling so although we don’t watch much tv I’ve set it to switch off from 10pm until Noon ( the switch is behind the telly and hard to reach )

mikeIow

Guru
I bought some energy monitoring plugs and set them up with various appliances. We’ve a big laser printer in the “ office “ and I was surprised how little it consumes in standby and operation ( Mrs Tenkaykev is studying and the printer is used on a regular basis)
The plugs allow scheduling so although we don’t watch much tv I’ve set it to switch off from 10pm until Noon ( the switch is behind the telly and hard to reach )

We have a few older Tado plugs - no monitoring on those ones, but does me we can schedule various things on & off.
Must dig out my plug that measures energy from plugs plugged in....there is always that nagging doubt that the TV on standby might be lower than the Tado plug :wacko:

Tenkaykev

Guru
We have a few older Tado plugs - no monitoring on those ones, but does me we can schedule various things on & off.
Must dig out my plug that measures energy from plugs plugged in....there is always that nagging doubt that the TV on standby might be lower than the Tado plug :wacko:

I was going to stack two energy monitoring plugs to see if I could monitor the quiescent current.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A second is equal to the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the unperturbed ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Petrichorwheels

Pluto was named by a British schoolgirl.
And it's no longer a planet.

By the by, cycling angle, the international community that searches for such things was at the time hunting for something they had dubbed PlanetX - though no truth in rumours that they had been alerted to its existence by wildly fluctuating numerical values bounced back across space.

classic33

Leg End Member
Jingle Bells was the first song to be played in space. That's right, not just the first Christmas song...
but the first song ever!

During the Gemini 6A space flight, it was broadcast as a prank, just before they were due to return to earth, from the astronauts to those down below.
Wally Schirra played the harmonica, while Tom Stafford jingled the bells.

Jingle Bells was the first song to be played in space. That's right, not just the first Christmas song...
but the first song ever!

During the Gemini 6A space flight, it was broadcast as a prank, just before they were due to return to earth, from the astronauts to those down below.
Wally Schirra played the harmonica, while Tom Stafford jingled the bells.

It must have been crowded up there with the two musicians as well.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
"Eddie the Eagle" may hold the British Olympic Record( 73.5 metres) for the ski jump, but it's a Yorkshireman, Sam Bolton, born in Halifax, West Yorkshire that holds the current British record of 134.50m set on the 17th March 2019 at the age of 16.

Top Bottom