Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
This refers to the shoreline paradox. If you have any interest in mathematics it's really not boring. Regardless, it doesn't apply.

Georg Cantor proved that infinities are not all the same size. You can argue that the infinitely long Brazil border is longer than the other infinitely long borders but I suspect this doesn't apply. I thought I would mention it anyway if anyone wants to look it up.

More relevant is the fact that real world shorelines are not fractal and have a finite length. Even if you choose to go sub-atomic, you will eventually get down to planck length distances between points. From this, you can get a definitive length of the coastline.

Finally, the shoreline paradox only applies to, errr, shorelines. Normal people don't bother with any of that fractal nonsense so when they make land borders they generally just make a bunch of normal lines between a series of points.

Thank you. I didn't get passed A Level further maths but I did read an interesting article about this topic.

I get that it is not a fractal as it is not an ever repeating shape. I also understand than that there are bigger infinites (ie 2 circles has more sides than one when they both have an infinite number of sides). However I am not sure you can ever get to a definitive length as we simply don't know how far we can subdivide particles. My understanding is that we just don't know whether we get to discrete objects or ever divisible objects(?) as we simply do not know how the universe is made up.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
In Sparta, after the wedding, brides would have their hair cut short and be dressed in men's clothing so that they would appear less threatening to their groom during the wedding night.

classic33

Leg End Member
John Tyndall, he who described why the air was blue, and Capt. Myles W. Keogh, of the battle of the Little Bighorn, came from the same town in County Carlow, Ireland.
John Tyndall was known for his research into what is now termed the Greenhouse Effect, amongst other work.
Capt. Myles W. Keogh is remembered for his horse "Comanche", the only survivor of the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Also known for being the only officer not mutilated by Sitting Bull's warriors.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Wales isn't represented in the flag of the United Kingdom because it's a principality not a kingdom.

Alex321

Guru
Wales isn't represented in the flag of the United Kingdom because it's a principality not a kingdom.

No, it is because at the time the flag was designed St George's cross was for both England and Wales (which at the time as part of the Kingdom of England).

This was in 1801.

The current Welsh Flag wasn't officially adopted by government until 1959, though it had been in use informally since 1807 (still 6 years after the Union Flag was designed).

classic33

Leg End Member
No, it is because at the time the flag was designed St George's cross was for both England and Wales (which at the time as part of the Kingdom of England).

This was in 1801.

The current Welsh Flag wasn't officially adopted by government until 1959, though it had been in use informally since 1807 (still 6 years after the Union Flag was designed).
The first design(1606 - 1801) didn't include the Cross of St. Patrick(Ireland). Only St. Andrew's Cross and St. George's
Cross being used in its design.

Top Bottom