Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
In parts of the UK, a rule from 1902 mandates that homes facing each other at the rear must be built 23 yards apart. This specific distance was determined by two urban designers who measured how far apart they could see each other's nipples through their shirts.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I will keep this as short as possible.
For years I have thought about when the UK started importing things like cotton, tobacco and sugar etc. They only had sailing ships.
Liverpool was the 1st logical place to unload those goods.
So.....those ships had to travel over 4,000 miles down the Atlantic, turn left at Ireland then cross the Irish Sea.
So......t'other day I googled it.
It would take at least 4/5 weeks to get 'here' then over 8 weeks to get back due to the reverse wind.
Things weren't easy for them.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I will keep this as short as possible.
For years I have thought about when the UK started importing things like cotton, tobacco and sugar etc. They only had sailing ships.
Liverpool was the 1st logical place to unload those goods.
So.....those ships had to travel over 4,000 miles down the Atlantic, turn left at Ireland then cross the Irish Sea.
So......t'other day I googled it.
It would take at least 4/5 weeks to get 'here' then over 8 weeks to get back due to the reverse wind.
Things weren't easy for them.

" Sail south until the butter melts then turn left " is one expression I heard.

Chris S

Legendary Member
train.jpg

Punkawallah

Über Member
The people of Finland 🇫🇮 consume more coffee per annum than the people of Italy do🇮🇹.
12kg v 4.9kg per capita!

Italy comes in just 14th on the world league table.

It’s not surprising, what with those tiny cups they have . . .

Top Bottom