Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
People like you really annoy me with your aragont comments.
Why dont you just google it instead of spout pompous crap

It involves travelling approximately a staggering 8000 miles from the UK, however many have previously travelled from further afield in northern Europe before even reaching Britain. With a distance as far as this, you may expect it to take a vast amount of time, however swallows combat the distance relatively quickly

I think it was a fairly lame attempt at humour @Dave7 clumsily referring back to dino exchanges. He's probably an OK chap in person, albeit with a odd sense of humour that doesnt translate to the written word very well. Don't take the bait.

markemark

Über Member
It wasn’t at all lame. Dave scoffs at all the evidence from archeologist as it can only be fact based and he doesn’t believe it if he can’t see ur. When the same method is thrown back Dave gets all upset.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Nope. Scientific evidence will be subject to peer review so any nonsense articles will be dismissed as such.

But again, please feel free to share any ‘codswallop’ which has been ‘accepted as fact’?

‘Scientific evidence -should- be subject to peer review’.
The ‘peer review’ on the drugs recommended by my doctor turned out to have been done in Thailand, showing them to be some six times more likely to kill me than common aspirin. I went with the aspirin.

markemark

Über Member
‘Scientific evidence -should- be subject to peer review’.
The ‘peer review’ on the drugs recommended by my doctor turned out to have been done in Thailand, showing them to be some six times more likely to kill me than common aspirin. I went with the aspirin.

Drugs don’t go through peer review. They’ll go through clinical trials.

Which medicine was this?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Archaeology, anthropology and geology tell us thus.

Yeah, but no. The evidence found and interpreted by the practitioners of those ‘ologies’ indicates to them that this could be the case. Up until now, no one has put forward evidence to the contrary.
Science is always subject to fresh evidence emerging, sometimes being a re-interpretation of existing evidence.
Anyone telling you ‘the science is settled‘ is selling something.

Punkawallah

Über Member
It wasn’t at all lame. Dave scoffs at all the evidence from archeologist as it can only be fact based and he doesn’t believe it if he can’t see ur. When the same method is thrown back Dave gets all upset.

Facts are remarkably thin on the ground in archaeology. Imagine our future archaeologists reconstructing out society from the plastic islands in the middle of the ocean, Adrian Moles Diary and buried atomic waste.

Punkawallah

Über Member
So not peer reviewed and no way to know if what you say is correct. Gotcha.

The only lies I tell are big ones, that you’d be daft to fall for. Lying is too petty to waste my time on.

markemark

Über Member
Facts are remarkably thin on the ground in archaeology. Imagine our future archaeologists reconstructing out society from the plastic islands in the middle of the ocean, Adrian Moles Diary and buried atomic waste.

Not many say otherwise. There’s a lot of data which is worked through and theories are put forward which are discussed, assessed, dismissed or put into the pot as possible.
This started on a post alluding dinosaurs didn’t exist. There is no proof but enough evidence that would take Trumpian denial to refute.
People will then study the anatomy of extinct animals, local geology, meteorology data and generate ideas about what happened. These are then dissected against other data through peer reviews. Evidence then sticks and reevaluated as new info comes to light.

dismissing this as making it up is pathetic. Quite then how conflating that with medical trials which you suspect were manipulated I have now idea.

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru

I don't think he actually realised it was a reflection of his previous post.

I did, and found it funny, but if he didn't realise, I can see why he reacted that way.

I think it was a fairly lame attempt at humour @Dave7 clumsily referring back to dino exchanges. He's probably an OK chap in person, albeit with a odd sense of humour that doesnt translate to the written word very well. Don't take the bait.

Well thankyou Tomo, that is genuinely kind!

@Dave7 I really didn't mean offence - I DID say I was joshing with you!

I love that this thread is generally a provider of joy and wonder. Like Dave, I think it's amazing that Swallows travel thousands of miles every year, and watching them catch flies mid-air (UK air) is a miraculous sight.

(Clearly we have different backgrounds with regards to science, so I'll try to restrain myself for now. x)

Tenkaykev

Guru
A typical microwave oven uses more electricity keeping its digital clock on standby than it does heating food.

If left on standby and never used to heat food our typical ( panasonic ) microwave would consume 24 Watts a day/ 8.76kWh in a year. It's a 800 watt microwave, even reheating our coffee during the day would easily exceed 24 Watts, let alone the usual defrosting of frozen foods / steaming veg etc.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Not many say otherwise. There’s a lot of data which is worked through and theories are put forward which are discussed, assessed, dismissed or put into the pot as possible.
This started on a post alluding dinosaurs didn’t exist. There is no proof but enough evidence that would take Trumpian denial to refute.
People will then study the anatomy of extinct animals, local geology, meteorology data and generate ideas about what happened. These are then dissected against other data through peer reviews. Evidence then sticks and reevaluated as new info comes to light.

dismissing this as making it up is pathetic. Quite then how conflating that with medical trials which you suspect were manipulated I have now idea.

I didn't say they were manipulated, I stated the fact that there were conducted in Thailand.

Top Bottom