Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
V is then only letter in English that is never silent.

Jameshow

Veteran
On average, a chocolate bar contains around eight insect parts, but it is still deemed to be safe for consumption. According to the U.S Food and Drug Administration, "most foods have natural contaminants in them, but there are levels which the FDA deems safe. Anything more than 60 insect pieces per 100 grams of chocolate is rejected by the FDA."

Insect and nut is my favourite!!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Lightning Struck and Killed an Entire Soccer Team But Left the Opposing Team Untouched

On October 28, 1998, a freak blast of lightning struck dead an entire soccer team in the African state of Congo during a match, while their opponents were left entirely unharmed. All 11 team members, aged between 20 and 35 years old, lost their lives, while members of the home team were untouched.

Many fans blamed witchcraft for the bizarre incident because, incidentally, the score was tied at the time of the deadly lightning strike.

Really intriguing; after reacting to this at first as a tragedy with a dark comic twist to it I began to wonder if any further details are known about this incident. In particular, I remembered that war-time gun crews were issued with white anti-flash clothing so I wonder if we know what colours the teams were playing under. Could it be that the home team had an all-white strip and the away team a dark-coloured outfit? Any information would be welcome.

classic33

Leg End Member
Really intriguing; after reacting to this at first as a tragedy with a dark comic twist to it I began to wonder if any further details are known about this incident. In particular, I remembered that war-time gun crews were issued with white anti-flash clothing so I wonder if we know what colours the teams were playing under. Could it be that the home team had an all-white strip and the away team a dark-coloured outfit? Any information would be welcome.
Unable to find the team colours, however that wasn't the only football match interrupted by lightning that weekend.
"In a similar incident at the weekend, a premier league soccer match in Johannesburg was brought to an abrupt end when lightning struck the ground.

Half the players from both teams - the Jomo Cosmos and the Moroka Swallows - dropped to the turf.

Several writhed on the grass holding their ears and their eyes. Spectators and coaching staff ran onto the pitch to help. Fortunately no-one was killed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/203137.stm

Unable to find the team colours, however that wasn't the only football match interrupted by lightning that weekend.
"In a similar incident at the weekend, a premier league soccer match in Johannesburg was brought to an abrupt end when lightning struck the ground.

Half the players from both teams - the Jomo Cosmos and the Moroka Swallows - dropped to the turf.

Several writhed on the grass holding their ears and their eyes. Spectators and coaching staff ran onto the pitch to help. Fortunately no-one was killed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/203137.stm

Several writhed on the grass holding their ears and their eyes.
Isn't that normal behaviour for football players?

Top Bottom