Post a lie about the poster above.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Doug was a toilet tester on the GWR HSTs. His job was to ensure all Up trains ran out of flush water before Newport, and all Down trains ran out before Reading.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Rog was also promoted to toilet tester. When he went home to tell his mum he was flushed with success.

He also told his cisterns.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar
The 'Cockney Sparrow' was the depot logo for Stratford (Diesel Depot code 'SF' - See the hat), East London. The old railway works and depot was on the site where the Olympic Park and so on is now (I kid you not).

On a wall near me:
sparrow.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Doug was a toilet tester on the GWR HSTs. His job was to ensure all Up trains ran out of flush water before Newport, and all Down trains ran out before Reading.
I was also an 'Auxiliary Gardner', seeing as everything went onto the tracks...
Rog was also promoted to toilet tester. When he went home to tell his mum he was flushed with success.

He also told his cisterns.
This is a tissue of lies and... Oh... Wait...
Nice!

York, I presume?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Talking of ramblers, Rocky has asked me about the depot crests and logos mentioned before with the Stratford Cockney Sparrow.

Of course @Moon bunny, you will then be aware of all the other depot 'crests' and logos (mainly freight (but also some Intercity and normal passenger) depots, reflecting something from the area.

Most were never coloured like Stratford, but the Thornaby (TE) (Middlesborough) Kingfisher was one and the 'Crewe Electric' (CE) Eagle could also be at times.

Off the top of my head, I can remember...

Inverness (IS): Stag
Motherwell (ML): Hammer And Anvil (reflecting the areas big Steel making heritage)
Haymarket (HA) (Murrayfield): Edinburgh Castle
I can't remember if Ayr had one (not all did).
Carlisle Currock (or was it Upperby?): A Fox
Thornaby (TE): Kingfisher
Crewe Electric (CE): Eagle (a reference to a once immense aerial wooden structure that afforded railway workers a safe walkway between the station and the various yards to the north of the station, called the 'Eagle Platform'... Or something like that).
Crewe Diesel (CD): A cat (I think... This being Cheshire, after all).
Tynsley (TI) (Sheffield) A Yorkshire Rose)
Bescot (Birmingham) (BS): A Saddle (reflecting the areas leather and blacksmith/metal making industries)
Tysley (Birmingham) (TY): A Bear
Saltley (Birmingham): A Seagull.
Toton (Nottinghamshire) (TO): The Cooling Towers of Toton power station
Leicester: A Panther.
Aylesbury: A Goose.
Cardiff Canton (CF): A Ram... I think.

... I am sure Old Oak Common (OC) (West London) had one, but I cannot remember what it was now, a bit like Wigan Springs Branch (SP), Immingham (IM) (Hull), Westbury (WE) (Wiltshire) and Swansea Landore (SD?).

Willesden (WD) (North London): A Greyhound (it was the main depot for the West Coast Electrics, so powerful and fast)

I am not sure Bounds Green (BN) (North London) serving the East Coast fleet ever had one, but I have a weird feeling that Hornsea did.

Stratford (SF): Cockney Sparrow

Stewarts Lane (SL) (Wandsworth/Battersea): The Battersea Power Station
Hither Green (HG) (Lewisham): An Oast House

Eastleigh (EH) (Southampton): A Spitfire

Plymouth Laira (LA): A Galleon

St Blazey (BZ) (Cornwall): A lizard
Long Rock (Penzance): St Michael's Mount.

ANNYWAY, sorry, as you were...

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
A selection... There were more though.

How could I have forgotten about the Eastfield (north Glasgow) (ED) Scotty Dog, the Immingham (Hull) (IM) star and garter(?) and the Westbury (WE) Stalion?:

1691439089634.png

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
A selection... There were more though.

How could I have forgotten about the Eastfield (north Glasgow) (ED) Scotty Dog, the Immingham (Hull) (IM) star and garter(?) and the Westbury (WE) Stalion?:

View attachment 701896

Crewe Electric is not there for a start

Annyway.

I am getting dangerously off topic.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Laira had the little ship, of course.

This reminds me that Mad Doug once went to Plymouth to see the famous 'ho he'd heard about, and was disappointed to find it was just a hill.

Top Bottom