One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I seem to remember the FFs were pretty sophisticated in their time, whereas the Interceptors were somewhat agricultural underneath.

The FF (fergeson formula was it ?) was a very sophisticated fluid coupling thingy which out 60% through the back wheels and 40% through the front, so would still be quite a clever thing today. Sadly the FF was auto only so it's a dilemma to eschew the FF appeal and get a manual gearbox on the "ordinary" version. I am (mostly) joking as they are quite a lot of money these days, but still, rather lovely

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Iain Tyrell explains all about the Jensen FF in this video:

From the video description:

"The Jensen FF was highly innovative when it debuted in 1966, the first non all-terrain production car equipped with four-wheel drive and an anti-lock braking system as standard. The FF stands for Ferguson Formula, after Harry Ferguson, another tractor manufacturer who decided to dip his toes in the world of high-performance cars, who invented the car's four-wheel drive system. Jensen took their Interceptor as a starting point and modified it to fit the complex mechanical set-up, a true feat of engineering. Despite the innovation and being powered by a 6.3L Chrysler V8, the high purchase cost meant it wasn't commercially successful with only 320 to 330 examples produced. Of those, less than half likely remain today, and this particular example has its own unique history, first serving as Jensen's press-car, and then being loaned to none other than Giovanni "Gianni" Agnelli, head of Fiat and the richest man in modern Italian history. No doubt this car has welcomed its fair share of VIPs - Very Important Passengers!"

Cerdic

At work I used to visit a Mercedes dealership on a regular basis. In their ‘customer lounge’ type area they had a big Mercedes timeline graphic on the wall which proudly proclaimed that the S Class of 1973 was the first production car in the world with ABS! I took great pleasure in saying in a loud voice “but surely that was the 1966 Jensen FF…!” Every time I went in…

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The FF (fergeson formula was it ?) was a very sophisticated fluid coupling thingy which out 60% through the back wheels and 40% through the front, so would still be quite a clever thing today. Sadly the FF was auto only so it's a dilemma to eschew the FF appeal and get a manual gearbox on the "ordinary" version. I am (mostly) joking as they are quite a lot of money these days, but still, rather lovely

Harry Ferguson was the inventor of the hydraulic gear that all tractors now have (see the Ferguson T20), had collaborations with Ford, David Brown, and others, built and flew his own plane. An Irish genius. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ferguson

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A rather fine Series 1 long wheelbase tilt, and a second-hand Bentley.
IMG_20220702_130702916_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_140541479_HDR.jpg

The sun must have brought them out today
I drove into Wakefield earlier (in & home, via the same A-road; Doncaster Road/A638)

On the way in;
- chrome bumper MG Midget, top down, in a maroon(ish)

On the way home;
- rubber bumper MG Midget, top down, in blue
- Ariel Atom! 'bronze coloured' chassis-frame, black panels (1) - seen at the junction with the 'Eastern Relief Road'
- Triumph TR6, top down, chrome wires, silver

Apologies, as I was driving, & in the car by myself, so no daughter to take pictures

1. I believe there are copies/replicas available??? (so was it one of those?)

The McLaren T50, at Goodwood
A 4 litre (naturally aspirated V12, that red-lines at 12,100RPM, & reached that in about a second from tick-over, on the test-bed:eek:
Granted it wouldn't stand a chance against the McMurty, but oh that sound!!!

Still, its a very worthy successor to the F1, & and to me, now the best hyper-car (with the F1 in a very close 2nd place)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_9T8WU4ekg

DRM

Guru
On Sunday I spotted several old cars parked in the yard at what used to be Petty’s Print Works in Whitehall Road Leeds, now a film studio, looks like props for the film industry

I keep forgetting about the few I pass on my way to work, as I see them so regularly
In a 300 yard stretch, at various houses there's;
House 1.
Range Rover ('F' plate, I think?), a 2-door, with TD badge on the tailgate (which by age signifies a VM diesel)
VW 'Bay' bus/camper
Lotus Eclat (I think??) 'B plated'??

House 2.
All In VGC!
2 x Suzuki SJ, possibly 413s, not 410?
VW Polo estate (mk2)

House 3.
SAAB 99 ('G plated') a daily driver!!

House 4.
All SORN/semi-derelict
Porch 924
Alfa-Romeo (not sure which one)
A 3rd car, which is hidden by the 924
There's another one on this same road now!
It may have always been there, but l saw the nose a couple of days ago, it might always be garaged (?), it looked like it might be a FIAT 124 ragtop
That's just a guess on a glimpse as l drove past
(then again, it might be a TR5/TR6?)

The sun must have brought them out today
I drove into Wakefield earlier (in & home, via the same A-road; Doncaster Road/A638)

- Triumph TR6, top down, chrome wires, silver
I am wondering if what I thought, driving past was a FIAT 124, was actually this TR6

There is/was another one in the area, in yellow, that was owned by the boss of a kitchen supplying/fitting company, but I've not seen it for at least 3 years

Top Bottom