One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Car sized pick ups have never been popular in the UK. The Morris minor ones are pretty uncommon and I'm not sure I've even seen an A35 pick up. And they are so much more vulnerable to rusting so fewer still remain today.

I posted this earlier in the thread but since the topic seems to have circled back here it is again. These are also not common to see and were not that numerous in contemporary times. I notice that although this one is a ~1978 it is using a lot of older panels and bodywork, like the door with the external hinges and sliding window, wing mirrors (rather than door mirrors), grille etc. These were long gone on the saloon model by 1978.

1656490173477.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Car sized pick ups have never been popular in the UK. The Morris minor ones are pretty uncommon and I'm not sure I've even seen an A35 pick up. And they are so much more vulnerable to rusting so fewer still remain today.

Here's another rarity. Anyone know whether it's original or a mod?
IMG_20190509_160958946.jpg

I posted this earlier in the thread but since the topic seems to have circled back here it is again. These are also not common to see and were not that numerous in contemporary times. I notice that although this one is a ~1978 it is using a lot of older panels and bodywork, like the door with the external hinges and sliding window, wing mirrors (rather than door mirrors), grille etc. These were long gone on the saloon model by 1978.

View attachment 650825

The first car I ever drove was a Mini pickup, I was about 10 years old :angel:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here's another rarity. Anyone know whether it's original or a mod?
View attachment 650827

I'm pretty confident it's a mod. I used to have a Vitesse and was a member of the "Triumph sporting six club" the "six" being Herald, vitesse, Spitfire, GT6, Bond Equip and the Amphicar (yes really, an amphibious car). I don't ever recall mention of a Herald pick up but being a seperate body and chassis it would be easier than some to build one, especially a company in the motor trade building one as an eye catching mobile advert

tyred

Legendary Member
This is my MK1 VW Caddy pick-up which is fitted with a fibre glass hardtopwhich I believe is an original VW option, effectively making it a van. It's currently off the road as it needs some welding work done plus a crankshaft oil seal and clutch. Also it was a victim of a hit and run the last time I had it on the road which ruined a front wing and the bumper. I've been saving money for a deposit on a house so haven't been able to do what I would like. I hope to have it back on the road in the next few years.

This was outside a hostel when I last had it on the road in 2018 prior to an idiot crashing into it. I took the opportunity to park it with some members of it's extended family :smile: It is great for carrying bikes.
43306368400_0b8f0051fb_o.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm pretty confident it's a mod. I used to have a Vitesse and was a member of the "Triumph sporting six club" the "six" being Herald, vitesse, Spitfire, GT6, Bond Equip and the Amphicar (yes really, an amphibious car). I don't ever recall mention of a Herald pick up but being a seperate body and chassis it would be easier than some to build one, especially a company in the motor trade building one as an eye catching mobile advert
I didn't know the Amphicar was Triumph-powered. The Wiki entry is amusing: the Amphicar offered only modest performance compared to most contemporary boats or cars, featured navigation lights and flag as mandated by the US Coast Guard — and, after operation in water, required greasing at 13 points, one of which required removal of the rear seat.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I didn't know the Amphicar was Triumph-powered. The Wiki entry is amusing: the Amphicar offered only modest performance compared to most contemporary boats or cars, featured navigation lights and flag as mandated by the US Coast Guard — and, after operation in water, required greasing at 13 points, one of which required removal of the rear seat.

It's a good bit more than "triumph powered", more like it being a Herald with a different body on it. I've only ever seen the one; I think it was emerging from the Thames on a jaunt, rather than at an event or anything

Top Bottom