One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Must admit, i never gor the VW thing. I remember 2 colleagues i the late 70s early 80s that had them, one was a very late model , rusted to buggery, the other an earlier one that was always breaking down. Perhaps had i driven one i might have thought different. TBF theyre getting rare now, i cant remember the last time i saw one.
I drove a friend's elderly Beetle back in the v early 70s. 6 volt electrics and cross-ply tyres made dark rainy evenings a challenge. He used it mainly for motorway bashes to London and back. Every so often it would throw a valve and we'd spend an hour or so swapping the engine for the reconditioned spare he kept under the sink in our student accommodation.

I've owned a bay-window type 2 and a fastback type 4 (last of the air-cools).

Cerdic

I drove a friend's elderly Beetle back in the v early 70s. 6 volt electrics and cross-ply tyres made dark rainy evenings a challenge. He used it mainly for motorway bashes to London and back. Every so often it would throw a valve and we'd spend an hour or so swapping the engine for the reconditioned spare he kept under the sink in our student accommodation.

I've owned a bay-window type 2 and a fastback type 4 (last of the air-cools).

I think this might be the key to the whole ‘Beetle thing’. Ease of maintenance.

In an age when all cars broke down, a lot, the Beetle was so mechanically simple it was easy to fix with minimal tools. Hence the reputation for reliability!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Moggie alert.
IMG_20220619_095640148.jpg

I keep forgetting about the few I pass on my way to work, as I see them so regularly
In a 300 yard stretch, at various houses there's;
House 1.
Range Rover ('F' plate, I think?), a 2-door, with TD badge on the tailgate (which by age signifies a VM diesel)
VW 'Bay' bus/camper
Lotus Eclat (I think??) 'B plated'??

House 2.
All In VGC!
2 x Suzuki SJ, possibly 413s, not 410?
VW Polo estate (mk2)

House 3.
SAAB 99 ('G plated') a daily driver!!

House 4.
All SORN/semi-derelict
Porch 924
Alfa-Romeo (not sure which one)
A 3rd car, which is hidden by the 924

There's another one on this same road now!
It may have always been there, but l saw the nose a couple of days ago, it might always be garaged (?), it looked like it might be a FIAT 124 ragtop
That's just a guess on a glimpse as l drove past
(then again, it might be a TR5/TR6?)

Oh! plus a 1980s PORCH 911 at a house near the junction too
That's been there 10 years+
(Sunday car?!)

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A little MG waiting patiently in traffic.
IMG_20220623_151210102_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom