Olympic Cycling - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was basing my response on actually watching (without ads).
I wasn't calling you a liar!

I was simply pointing out that the Discovery web blurb says they DO show ads...

It will be the same as it used to be on Eurosport then, and I used to do the same as you - effectively decide for myself what the highlights are. Eurosport highlights were always awful anyway. No attempt to explain what had happened; just hack the live coverage down to fit, and not be too fussy where the edits were made!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Eurosport highlights were always awful anyway. No attempt to explain what had happened; just hack the live coverage down to fit, and not be too fussy where the edits were made!
But people keep paying for it so it must be good enough, right?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
BMX isn’t Cycling ? And neither the Racers or Freestylers aren’t dedicated, skilful and brave Athletes ?

I think they're both decent viewing events too.

It’s like some of the veggies with your Roast Dinner: They may not be the best thing ever. And you’d not want it every single day / as your only choice. But it’s good to indulge every once in a while……😉

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
BMX isn’t Cycling ? And neither the Racers or Freestylers aren’t dedicated, skilful and brave Athletes ?

I think they're both decent viewing events too.

It’s like some of the veggies with your Roast Dinner: They may not be the best thing ever. And you’d not want it every single day / as your only choice. But it’s good to indulge every once in a while……😉

You're absolutely right, and I was betraying my personal prejudices in the opening post. It's just not particularly related to pro road racing. Feel free to start a new thread if you think that would be better.
Or post on here, that's also fine.

Mike_P

Guru
They aren't licensed to give the full coverage that they used to, so it could be 'breathtaking moments' only in many cases.

The BBC will have a network TV channel and a second broadcast stream throughout the Games.

That means we can show the two most exciting or important events happening at any moment live at the same time. And because of the way the Olympics schedule works, it means there will almost never be a big medal moment or race or tearful interview we can't bring you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cjk3vkpxz1po

Presumably important events means GB&NI participation in it.

Adam4868

Guru
Tadej has confirmed in an interview that the fact that has partner was overlooked by Slovenia was a contributory factor in him pulling out of the Games.
Odd decision by the selectors given that she's the road and TT champion. Anyone got any info on the back story?
Not that clued up on woman's cycling but was reading this.
She simply climbs very well, and it is not a climbing course" - Annemiek van Vleuten attempts to justify Urska Zigart's Olympic non-selection
From this article...
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...o-justify-urska-zigarts-olympic-non-selection

To be honest if my partner said to me don't go babe...let's stay at home and go on the pIss together that'd do it for me.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not that clued up on woman's cycling but was reading this.
She simply climbs very well, and it is not a climbing course" - Annemiek van Vleuten attempts to justify Urska Zigart's Olympic non-selection
From this article...
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...o-justify-urska-zigarts-olympic-non-selection

To be honest if my partner said to me don't go babe...let's stay at home and go on the pIss together that'd do it for me.

If I had a chance to compete at the Olympics, there is no one that could get in my way.

On the other hand, I haven't just won two Grand Tours in a year, spent almost every day of those in the leader's jersey, and won other top level bike races this year.

Adam4868

Guru
If I had a chance to compete at the Olympics, there is no one that could get in my way.

On the other hand, I haven't just won two Grand Tours in a year, spent almost every day of those in the leader's jersey, and won other top level bike races this year.
The luxury of being the best bike rider in the world,you get to pick and choose.Plus it's not like he's not going to get the chance again.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The luxury of being the best bike rider in the world,you get to pick and choose.Plus it's not like he's not going to get the chance again.

Exactly I'm sure he'll take part at soe point, and on a course more likely to suit him. He wouldn't be amongst the favorites even if he was entered

Adam4868

Guru
Remco after recon of TT route 🤣
"shoot roads. It's not pleasant. The road surface is bad. That can be a problem if you have black spots in front of your eyes in the final. For the rest it's mainly straight and fast. Also nice for sightseeing."

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd hate to come over as Mr Grumpy but could we not divert this thread from cycling to another "How to work the TV" fest .

It might help those with pertinent TV, streaming related questions to have a dedicated thread. Feel free to start one!
When it was GCN it was fine and now it's not, eh? I'm sorry for your loss.

But the Olympics is weird and different to most cycling in how and where it's covered, with specials like the web service from the host broadcaster so the general TV thread isn't great for it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
When it was GCN it was fine and now it's not, eh? I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry, I don't get your point!
I watch it all on Discovery plus, just as I did when it was GCN.
No change and no complaints from me.
I'd just like this thread to be about cycling not TV.
Ferl free to start a new thread about aiming your dish at Mars and listening to commentary in Martian :whistle:

Top Bottom