oil for bike chain the best to use ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The road bike which doesn't get used in rain gets WD40. The e-bike which also doesn't get used in rain gets dry lube. The MTB stays out all the time and gets wet lube.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chainsaw oil here.

The trick, @ColinJ is not to apply too much at any one time. After cleaning the chain, I then pour about a teaspoon onto a rag and run one side of the chain through that, and then I repeat for the other side. Holding the rag around the chain means that a) the warmth of my hand makes the oil more runny, b) the oil then gets to where it needs to go, and that c) any excess gets wiped off.

FYI, I use the generic chainsaw oil that my local agricultural supplier sells in gallon containers. Oh yeah, and I I use it for my chainsaw too.
Ah, that could be it! :whistle:

If I find the container then I will give the oil another go, but use your technique as opposed to the ColinJ Sling a litre of it on the chain and moan about the ensuing mess approach.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Has it got a use before date?

Must be old says "made in England"

I think I've had it since the early 80's. Long before sell by or best before dates.
I also have an old tub of grease in an old Quality Street tin which came from the railway depot I was attached to from about 1976. There is just about enough to see me ok for some years to come.

Chris S

Legendary Member
One drop of motor oil on a toothbrush pressed against the rollers. I then spin the cranks 8 times so the entire length of the chain passes under the toothbrush twice. The oil works its way on to the rest of the chain soon enough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One drop of motor oil on a toothbrush pressed against the rollers. I then spin the cranks 8 times so the entire length of the chain passes under the toothbrush twice. The oil works its way on to the rest of the chain soon enough.

What happens if you spin it 9 times - Back to the Future ?

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom