New Endurance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DP-UK

Hi,
1st post so go easy on me please.

A bit about me, I'm 52 live in Cheshire UK. Been cycling for about a year now.
I'm looking for a new Endurance bike below is my criteria, lets see what you all recommend.

Budget £3000
Carbon F&F
Size Medium
Weight approx 7-8KG
Best spec that my budget can buy

My main consideration is the riding position. My current bike is a Kinesis UK Tripster A/T with flat bars fitted, rather than the traditional racing handlebars.
For my new bike I want to be sat as upright as possible for comfort, so that needs to be factored in frame dimensions etc.

Loose ideas are

Trek Domane (all versions)
Canyon Endurance (all versions)
Cannondale Synapse Carbon (all versions)

TIA

Have a look at the Dolan Tuono - I've owned a number of carbon bikes and like this the best even though it's cheaper than most.

Merida scultura endurance 4000 is even more relaxed geometry - but is a bit heavier .

Cube have just released there range of 2025 road bikes - and the spec for the money is mind blowing.

Within reason - it might be worth a visit to a pro bike fitter - more upright doesn't always mean more comfortable - sure you may have an image of some TT rider with the saddle whacked up high and the bars slammed low - but there's a whole range of positions which aren't like that. Upright might seem the way to go at first for short journeys but as you do more miles you might that position has limitations

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Merida scultura endurance 4000 is even more relaxed geometry - but is a bit heavier .

Seconded. I have the previous version of that bike, a Merida Ride 4000. Very comfortable bike to ride distances on.

20210701_130104.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I looked into the bikes you have shortlisted and i noticed you said a weight of 7-8 kg , unless your going to spend a lot more on a new bike or look at maybe a second hand rim brake bike you will struggle to get anything in disc at that weight ,Most of the bikes i had a peek at were closer to 9 kg .
Nowadays i know aero trumps weight in performance and the difference were talking about is like a full water bottle so i doubt you would notice it that much ?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
(1) any bike at that price will be excellent
(2) if position is important, you want a removable stem so you can change it if needed. At that price, I'd guess you're into integrated stuff, so cheaper might be better.
(3) getting a good bike shop is more important than getting the precisely "best" model, as there's little to choose between brands anyway.

So choose a bike shop you trust, specify you don't want integrated stem and don't worry too much about precise model would be my advice.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
First off, get a bike fit done before you go shopping. Secondly, keep an open (ish) mind about what you want. Don't rule out titanium, steel, gravel models (a gravel frame with road tyres is an endurance bike). Third, don't obsess about weight. It makes (censored) difference in most conditions for most people most of the time.

My suggestion: Sonder Colibri. Ti & Ultegra for £2899.

Last edited:
First off, get a bike fit done before you go shopping. Secondly, keep an open (ish) mind about what you want. Don't rule out titanium, steel, gravel models (a gravel frame with road tyres is an endurance bike). Third, don't obsess about weight. It makes (censored) difference in most conditions for most people most of the time.

My suggestion: Sonder Colibri. Ti & Ultegra for £2899.

Have to disagree. Endurance bike covers a wide spectrum of bikes. The Dolan for example gives a performance just off a full on race bike - but I doubt you d see many on gravel tracks.

I also have a Ribble CGR alu - which you could press for gravel use - but it doesn't come anywhere near the performance of the Dolan.

steverob

Guru
As someone who bought a Canyon Endurace just seven months ago at only slightly more than your budget, I will say I am exceedingly happy with my purchase. And I owned a Trek Domane for ten years before that (the Endurace is what replaced it essentially), so I do have a history of riding endurance style bikes.

1725737332971.png

I was a bit wary at first of getting a bike mail order, especially as I am a bit of a klutz when putting things together, but it could not have gone much smoother. And with Canyon you're going to get a lot more bang for your buck - to get the same specs I did on my bike would have cost another £500 on a Giant Defy or £1000 more on a Specialized Roubaix (the two other models I was considering at the time).

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have to disagree. Endurance bike covers a wide spectrum of bikes. The Dolan for example gives a performance just off a full on race bike - but I doubt you d see many on gravel tracks.

I also have a Ribble CGR alu - which you could press for gravel use - but it doesn't come anywhere near the performance of the Dolan.

You're not disagreeing, even though you think you are. Given the spread of what constitutes a gravel/all-road/adventure/whatever you call it bike, and the spread of endurance bikes, and the heavy overlap between the two, much of the time they are much the same thing. Literally, in some cases (Trek briefly did a Domane Gravel, Vitus Venon Evo was available in 'road' and 'gravel' specs). Also, see pics below. If the two bikes are the same weight, or thereabouts, have the same grade/type of materials, and are on the same/similar wheels and tyres, the performance will be near identical as well. Nothing against the Ribble, but you're not comparing like with like there. If you had a Dolan GXC (say), would you really notice a difference?
l-Road-Square_bbebd407-4f88-4a0f-80a5-74ffd1850dd8.jpg

Gravel-Square_2542c6cf-e770-4433-b0e8-bb811f85eab0.jpg

You're not disagreeing, even though you think you are. Given the spread of what constitutes a gravel/all-road/adventure/whatever you call it bike, and the spread of endurance bikes, and the heavy overlap between the two, much of the time they are much the same thing. Literally, in some cases (Trek briefly did a Domane Gravel, Vitus Venon Evo was available in 'road' and 'gravel' specs). Also, see pics below. If the two bikes are the same weight, or thereabouts, have the same grade/type of materials, and are on the same/similar wheels and tyres, the performance will be near identical as well. Nothing against the Ribble, but you're not comparing like with like there. If you had a Dolan GXC (say), would you really notice a difference?
View attachment 744388

View attachment 744389

I don't understand - my Ribble is an endurance bike as is my Dolan - the ride is significantly different.

Quite the opposite of what you were saying.

When you're in a hole ........

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am wondering why you are settling on carbon. Most endurance riders will go for alu, titanium or steel and will accept the weight penalty for a comfortable ride?

You have a great bike already. One that has been used by some of the top endurance riders, including Mike Hall.

Is there not something you can do with that to make it work? Itcwould cost a lot less than 3k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom