New Endurance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Q As
I am wondering why you are settling on carbon. Most endurance riders will go for alu, titanium or steel and will accept the weight penalty for a comfortable ride?

You have a great bike already. One that has been used by some of the top endurance riders, including Milke Hall.

Is there not something you can do with that to make it work? Itcwould cost a lot less than 3k.

He's said he wants an endurance bike. Not that he is an endurance rider. The club I am in a lot of us oldies ride carbon endurance bikes.

PaulSB

Squire
I am wondering why you are settling on carbon. Most endurance riders will go for alu, titanium or steel and will accept the weight penalty for a comfortable ride?

You have a great bike already. One that has been used by some of the top endurance riders, including Milke Hall.

Is there not something you can do with that to make it work? Itcwould cost a lot less than 3k.
I have been thinking much the same. I ride the titanium ATR-V3 which would be outside the OP's budget. I do think throwing some money at his AT would create a very nice bike which is an endurance machine.

I've always bought "endurance" bikes for their comfort. My road bike is a Cervelo C3, no longer available, which was designed with endurance in mind. At my level there is no sacrifice in performance.

If I was the OP I would first try to understand two things. With a road bike an upright position does not necessarily equate to or increase comfort. IMV the upright position is more likely to make the bike uncomfortable. He also needs to consider a bike fit before purchasing as this will narrow down the choice and hopefully provide the comfort which I agree should be top of his list.

His choices to date seem quite scatter gun. That's understandable. Myself I would be looking at Dolan, Reilley, Mason, possibly Ribble and for a relative newbie to our sport suggest Dolan is the most likely to have what he needs.

Jameshow

Veteran

Carbon is just a material and some bikes are very different from others.
A synapse will be very different from a systemsix
for instance.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have been thinking much the same. I ride the titanium ATR-V3 which would be outside the OP's budget. I do think throwing some money at his AT would create a very nice bike which is an endurance machine.

I've always bought "endurance" bikes for their comfort. My road bike is a Cervelo C3, no longer available, which was designed with endurance in mind. At my level there is no sacrifice in performance.

If I was the OP I would first try to understand two things. With a road bike an upright position does not necessarily equate to or increase comfort. IMV the upright position is more likely to make the bike uncomfortable. He also needs to consider a bike fit before purchasing as this will narrow down the choice and hopefully provide the comfort which I agree should be top of his list.

His choices to date seem quite scatter gun. That's understandable. Myself I would be looking at Dolan, Reilley, Mason, possibly Ribble and for a relative newbie to our sport suggest Dolan is the most likely to have what he needs.

I agree (though the ATR isn't that far outside his budget).

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your local LBS and try a few out.
Of course, you can’t do that with Canyon in the UK as mail order only

StuAff

Mine was written off in an RTA 10 weeks ago. The replacement is quoted at £5100 but this is for the bespoke build I already had. The frame is £2400.

Fortunately I have new for old insurance. Phew

Hope the recovery is going well. Best deal I've seen at the mo is just under £2k.

StuAff

Mark Anthony in Buxton https://activesport.co/epages/80c85...5-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e/Products/K-FS-TP-ATR The odd thing is there's another website (.co.uk rather than .co domain) which quotes £2112 https://www.activesport.co.uk/bikes/bike-frames/kinesis--tripster-atr-frameset--ti__18071 No idea what that's about.....

steverob

Guru
Of course, you can’t do that with Canyon in the UK as mail order only
At one point there was a Canyon Experience Centre in the UK where you could rent a bike for a test ride, from memory quite near their UK HQ between Chessington and Leatherhead, as I saw it on their website when I was thinking about my purchase late last year. Unfortunately it must have closed recently as the website now makes no mention of there being one in the UK (the next nearest is Hamburg!)

vickster

Legendary Member
At one point there was a Canyon Experience Centre in the UK where you could rent a bike for a test ride, from memory quite near their UK HQ between Chessington and Leatherhead, as I saw it on their website when I was thinking about my purchase late last year. Unfortunately it must have closed recently as the website now makes no mention of there being one in the UK (the next nearest is Hamburg!)

Thought that was just a sales office with a very limited staff, not seen mentioned for years now

steverob

Guru
The Canyon UK HQ does have a servicing centre attached where they will do repairs if you ship your bike to them, plus they can also build your new bike if you're not confident (for a fee probably), so it is a little bigger than just an sales office now, but it's not exactly huge (it's basically a warehouse on a trading estate).
1725802881614.png

Having had a chance to look it up now, the Experience Centre I was on about was very near the base of Box Hill, run by a company called Just Pedal. They are still there, but are no longer linked to Canyon - instead they are now exclusively dealing with Specialized bikes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't understand - my Ribble is an endurance bike as is my Dolan - the ride is significantly different.

Quite the opposite of what you were saying.

When you're in a hole ........

And a gravel bike with road tyres would be different again, but they're all still endurance bikes.

It's actually a bit of a daft term when you come to think of it. My Spa steel audax is an endurance bike too.

And a gravel bike with road tyres would be different again, but they're all still endurance bikes.

It's actually a bit of a daft term when you come to think of it. My Spa steel audax is an endurance bike too.

That's exactly my point. Endurance bikes aren't much of muchness as suggested. They can be dramatically different.

Top Bottom