New Endurance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I thought that was Stu's point too. but I'm probably wrong

No, that was my point exactly.

I thought that was Stu's point too. but I'm probably wrong

Well the comment

"A gravel bike with road wheels is an endurance bike" threw me - IME with the Ribble V the dolan - that's not the case. The Dolan is quite different -

As the thread was started by a relative novice - I think it's incorrect to say sling a set of wheels on a gravel bike and you have an endurance bike. The OP would be getting a very different bike if he did that

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well the comment

"A gravel bike with road wheels is an endurance bike" threw me - IME with the Ribble V the dolan - that's not the case. The Dolan is quite different -

As the thread was started by a relative novice - I think it's incorrect to say sling a set of wheels on a gravel bike and you have an endurance bike. The OP would be getting a very different bike if he did that

It's not that confusing. And it would be news to many bike brands, reviewers and owners to say you can't do that ("sling a set of wheels…"), because they disagree. Ribble itself markets the CGR with the words "Cross. Gravel. Road. Our CGR’s [sic] can do it all". Or see BikeRadar on the Roubaix SL8 (…increase in tyre clearance, along with the addition of a third set of bottle bosses under the down tube and bento box bosses on the top tube, is telling. It positions the Roubaix SL8 Comp firmly in the all-road camp, and certainly makes it gravel-capable."). And my Tripster ATR is most definitely set up for road use not gravel (though with 35mm G-One Allround tyres not slicks). If I wanted to do gravel events, which I don't, all I'd need is wider tyres, and to take the mudguards off. It's been touring, multiple times. It's done commuting. And many, many ultra-distance events (in the hands of others, only 300km or so in one go for me, so far). Yes, the OP isn't really sure what he wants, but he might have it already.

Last edited:
It's not that confusing. And it would be news to many bike brands, reviewers and owners to say you can't do that ("sling a set of wheels…"), because they disagree. Ribble itself markets the CGR with the words "Cross. Gravel. Road. Our CGR’s [sic] can do it all". Or see BikeRadar on the Roubaix SL8 (…increase in tyre clearance, along with the addition of a third set of bottle bosses under the down tube and bento box bosses on the top tube, is telling. It positions the Roubaix SL8 Comp firmly in the all-road camp, and certainly makes it gravel-capable."). And my Tripster ATR is most definitely set up for road use not gravel (though with 35mm G-One Allround tyres not slicks). If I wanted to do gravel events, which I don't, all I'd need is wider tyres, and to take the mudguards off. It's been touring, multiple times. It's done commuting. And many, many ultra-distance events (in the hands of others, only 300km or so in one go for me, so far). Yes, the OP isn't really sure what he wants, but he might have it already.

It's not confusing at all

Bottom line - something like the Dolan will give a significantly different ride - to the Ribble cgr with road / wheels tyres on. I don't believe it helps to tell the OP otherwise

PaulSB

Squire

I can fully backup Stu's view on the ATR. Mine is equally at home on road, gravel, canal paths, trails and touring. It's the most comfortable bike I've owned and by swapping the tyres I get very good performance from it in the summer.

When we build the new one I'll be making changes to take full advantage of what I now know she can do.

Again like Stu I think the OP already has the bike he needs

I know several people who ride Dolan "Adventure" bikes. They're lovely machines. I've yet to see one set up for gravel.

I can fully backup Stu's view on the ATR. Mine is equally at home on road, gravel, canal paths, trails and touring. It's the most comfortable bike I've owned and by swapping the tyres I get very good performance from it in the summer.

When we build the new one I'll be making changes to take full advantage of what I now know she can do.

Again like Stu I think the OP already has the bike he needs

I know several people who ride Dolan "Adventure" bikes. They're lovely machines. I've yet to see one set up for gravel.

You not trying to say the Dolan tuono disc is an adventure bike are you ?

PaulSB

Squire
You not trying to say the Dolan tuono disc is an adventure bike are you ?

No. My view is the OP possibly has a bike which fits his wishes and could be adapted to this. I posted "I know several people who ride Dolan "Adventure" bikes." Comfort is the only criteria he's given. I'm suggesting the "all rounder" bike style could suit his purpose.

I feel Dolan offer bikes in their Adventure range he might consider to compare with the Kinesis I've spoken of. I also mentioned Reilley and Mason because they have similar offers.

I am wondering why you are settling on carbon. Most endurance riders will go for alu, titanium or steel and will accept the weight penalty for a comfortable ride?

You have a great bike already. One that has been used by some of the top endurance riders, including Mike Hall.

Is there not something you can do with that to make it work? Itcwould cost a lot less than 3k.

Fair enough.

To me with the bikes he has listed he is after a relaxed geometry road bike. I'm sure the OP will clarity in due course.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's not confusing at all

Bottom line - something like the Dolan will give a significantly different ride - to the Ribble cgr with road / wheels tyres on. I don't believe it helps to tell the OP otherwise

I know you love your Dolan Tuono greatly, but as others have said, on the road a carbon gravel bike with road tyres will give a remarkably similar ride. There are differences and if the OP is going to solely / mainly stick to tarmac, then yes Tuono should be on the shortlist.. If they want the option of fatter tyres, more potential for light touring etc then a Dolan GXC would be on the list. (or GXT if they fancy Titanium)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can anyone recommend me an unadventurous gravel endurance bike. ;)

Digging in to it ... Just trying to sort it out in my mind.

I think the term "endurance" describes racy-looking bikes suitable for unfit inflexible old gits like me who wouldn't be able to handle an actual race bike.

Gravel, we all know about. Sort of like MTBs with drop bars, but the term "hybrid" was alrwady taken. Often 1x

I think adventure bikes are basically tourers. So a robust frame with a zillion bolt ons for racks and stuff.

Top Bottom