Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar
My new paint markers have arrived!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another example of male multi-tasking this morning: bike ride combined with bottle bank run, some shopping and visiting the doctors' surgery for my 2nd Covid jab this morning. Absolutely no reaction yet apart from a having the munchies - although that may be from the afternoon's bike ride in a 20mph+ wind.

Day out tomorrow, then back to work on Wednesday for nine consecutive days of civil service based boredom.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
First ever grasstrack racing done, with 2 minutes of 'practice' before-hand. Lots of fun. No pressure on him, which is unusual these days, and it was an evening off for us both.

I wasn't last, except in my sprint heat, although I think the commissaire must've thought we weren't taking it seriously in the last two races - we rolled up just as they started both times.

Son's rear wheel moved on our £40 Fuji Track just as he went into a final sprint in the Devil (oops :whistle: ), I was on a borrowed bike and the grass was solid on one side, mud on the other.

First ever grasstrack racing done, with 2 minutes of 'practice' before-hand. Lots of fun. No pressure on him, which is unusual these days, and it was an evening off for us both.

I wasn't last, except in my sprint heat, although I think the commissaire must've thought we weren't taking it seriously in the last two races - we rolled up just as they started both times.

Son's rear wheel moved on our £40 Fuji Track just as he went into a final sprint in the Devil (oops :whistle: ), I was on a borrowed bike and the grass was solid on one side, mud on the other.

Sounds like you had a blast :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member

Would you do it on a penny farthing?

The link you gave for grass tracks mentioned a race track in Halifax. Cinder track at the top of Hanson Lane. Thrum Hall, Clarion Cycle Club raced there.

The area itself was a local "sport centre", with a number of different activities there over the years.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Would you do it on a penny farthing?

The link you gave for grass tracks mentioned a race track in Halifax. Cinder track at the top of Hanson Lane. Thrum Hall, Clarion Cycle Club raced there.

The area itself was a local "sport centre", with a number of different activities there over the years.

I don't think I could do it on anything other than cross tyres - it was too muddy. In a dry summer it'd be fine but penny farthing's tended to be raced on cinder tracks rather than grass.

There's an old map of Halifax here - and it shows a cricket ground next to the football ground at the top. I'm guessing it was round the outside of the cricket ground since there's a dotted line.

And @Reynard - it was good to have a night where results didn't count, without the pressure of needing to get a result and points. That lack of 'focus' probably showed a bit :blush: - he still gave it a push at times, but with a muddy-faced smile. His training schedule has a 'day off' today, and it just about covered that.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think I could do it on anything other than cross tyres - it was too muddy. In a dry summer it'd be fine but penny farthing's tended to be raced on cinder tracks rather than grass.

There's an old map of Halifax here - and it shows a cricket ground next to the football ground at the top. I'm guessing it was round the outside of the cricket ground since there's a dotted line.

And @Reynard - it was good to have a night where results didn't count, without the pressure of needing to get a result and points. That lack of 'focus' probably showed a bit :blush: - he still gave it a push at times, but with a muddy-faced smile. His training schedule has a 'day off' today, and it just about covered that.
It was a cinder track, still there when it was sold by the rugby club.

Later the home of the Halifax RLFC, before they moved to the Shay. Cricket Club moved out a few years before.

Yup, am familiar with that sort of thing from my fencing days. :blush:

Top Bottom