Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My daughter bribed me to go to her flat and put up some IKEA shelves. I have all the tools and fixings and I know how to do it. It should have taken less than an hour but IKEA had other ideas. On every bracket there was a glossy plastic label wrapped around the 4mm diameter metal wire......and they really don't want to move. Finger nails could find an edge but they don't peel. I tried using a pan scrubber which was good at trashing the label but left a tenacious sticky slime that refused to move. After 25 minutes on one label, I gave up and put the shelves up with the labels in place. Fortunately, I have some entirely evil planet-busting, global warming solvents at home to deal with this.

Do you think that Greta would have a word with her moronic fellow countrymen? View attachment 491715
It was a bit like that trying to open the plastic wrapper on a CD so that Hazel O'Connor could sign it for us ! I used my car keys in the end to break the plastic ! :angry:

D

Deleted member 26715

So who has pinched my work mojo ?
You had some to begin with, mine left a long time ago

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Had a few days away from the forum and it's good to see the mundanity continues.

On Friday, I had two separate interviews with people from the same company. It was different because the first was buy video chat with Google Hangouts (I didn't know that this service still existed). In usual technology-fashion, we had to also use WhatsApp for the presentation part when Google Hangouts refused to share the interviewer's screen. Whether I get the job or not is an exercise in wait-and-see.

Yesterday, I fitted a new pull cord power switch for the shower. My life is that exciting.

Had a few days away from the forum and it's good to see the mundanity continues.

On Friday, I had two separate interviews with people from the same company. It was different because the first was buy video chat with Google Hangouts (I didn't know that this service still existed). In usual technology-fashion, we had to also use WhatsApp for the presentation part when Google Hangouts refused to share the interviewer's screen. Whether I get the job or not is an exercise in wait-and-see.

I hope this one works out @LeetleGreyCells.

Yesterday, I fitted a new pull cord power switch for the shower. My life is that exciting.

We don't have a power chord on our shower; I'm all envious now.

Good luck !

I think I must have enjoyed myself too much last night as I'm feeling shattered today !

Hope it was worth it.

I’ve been out, just got back. Doesn’t look like I’ve missed any thing.

I did consider an account of the dustbin lorry picking up the rubbish outside but I thought that would be too exciting.

I'm stuck here for another 25 minutes. I'm not able to do anything useful because I'm not applying for anything until I get an answer from the place I was interviewed a couple of weeks ago...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My daughter bribed me to go to her flat and put up some IKEA shelves. I have all the tools and fixings and I know how to do it. It should have taken less than an hour but IKEA had other ideas. On every bracket there was a glossy plastic label wrapped around the 4mm diameter metal wire......and they really don't want to move. Finger nails could find an edge but they don't peel. I tried using a pan scrubber which was good at trashing the label but left a tenacious sticky slime that refused to move. After 25 minutes on one label, I gave up and put the shelves up with the labels in place. Fortunately, I have some entirely evil planet-busting, global warming solvents at home to deal with this.

Do you think that Greta would have a word with her moronic fellow countrymen? View attachment 491715
You could use Goo-Gone, more of a citrus based solvent. Smells nice, does a job on stickers and tape. Don't know if the U.K. has it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You could use Goo-Gone, more of a citrus based solvent. Smells nice, does a job on stickers and tape. Don't know if the U.K. has it.
I have some sticky label remover made, I think, by Rocol but I didn't have it with me. The only solvents in my daughter's flat were nail varnish remover and vodka. Using the latter obviously would have been a criminal waste. I was a bit concerned that varnish remover might fubar the paint.

Top Bottom