Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Morning attending to kitchen duties and went for a short walk after lunch.
A heavy rain shower nearly got me but I reached shelter in time to stay mostly dry.
Light rain most of the afternoon.
Still no decision from Patient Transport who were supposed to phone me.
I suspect they leave you to sweat as long as possible in the hope you will just go away and stop asking them to do their job.

Gwylan

Veteran
Well, it's warm and sunny where I am.
Another outing, another lunch. Lunch in Leuven, that's alliteration. Also very nice.
Preceded by a wander through the countryside.

The map should have disclaimer along the lines " the representation of a route suitable for cycling is no guarantee of it's existence"
Came back by a different, more obvious and less imaginary, route

Remember running and cycling some of them. In the days when I had a 50 km route to work.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Well, it's warm and sunny where I am.
Another outing, another lunch. Lunch in Leuven, that's alliteration. Also very nice.
Preceded by a wander through the countryside.

The map should have disclaimer along the lines " the representation of a route suitable for cycling is no guarantee of it's existence"
Came back by a different, more obvious and less imaginary, route

Remember running and cycling some of them. In the days when I had a 50 km route to work.
Rather liked Belgium but it was many years ago. In Leuven a traffic control cop stopped all traffic to let us cross the road after asking him for directions to a particular camp site.

tyred

Legendary Member
Here in Connemara for the next few days. Amazing the different weather events experienced in my somewhat roundabout way of getting here.

Left home in reasonable clear morning, came across thick mist. Then torrential rain of the stair rod variety in Sligo. I arrived at my appointment dripping water. Good job I had my waterproof coat and big umbrella. I then went to Westport and had a wander in shorts and t-shirt and was feeling myself starting to burn. Here in deepest Connemara, it is bright but bitterly cold.

Didn't really learn much from the consultant. I was worried that walking on rough ground caused some pain and concern I was doing damage but he said it wouldn't do any harm, just wear supportive boots.

I've shied away from fixed wheel since my break but often do ride my SS freewheel up big hills and I always wondered if it risked further problems but he said not so and fixed wheel wouldn't be an issue. Just spin a low gear. Time to get my beloved Carlton out when I get back. :wahhey:

I found out my IYHA card has been out of date since 2020! Oops. No member discount for me. Not sure I can bothered with hostels anymore anyway. Port Charlotte was fine last year because the commons areas are very big but here's a bit crowded. Especially in the kitchen where I feel I got in everyone's way and all I was trying to do was heat a tin of soup and cut some bread!

The view outside is nice though.

IMG_20240828_195419.jpg

It's been a rather warm, humid and mostly overcast day here chez Casa Reynard.

Slept well, but still on a bit of sleep deficit. Had an earlier start than usual to meet up with a friend and her dogs for a nice walk on some local trails over at her end of the village. It's a while since I was down there, so it was nice to do something different. It did get rather hot and sticky as the morning ticked over to noon. After taking the dogs back to hers, I gave her a lift to the garage so she could pick her car up post service, and then while I was in the area, I went to the community orchard for a mosey.

Picked some more "Perfection" as there weren't many left, and snaffled the last few of the "Jolly Miller" that were worth taking. The fruit on those trees took the brunt of the storm over the weekend, and nearly all the remaining fruit is now on the ground. Such a shame. Had a chat with another cyclist who also comes and picks fruit in the orchard - he has a very nice vintage bike, 531 Reynolds tubing, fancy cut-out lugs. Looks like a hand-built jobbie, but it's covered in shoddy grey paint and there's no head badge.

This afternoon, I did two loads of laundry, sat in the sun for an hour popping rowanberries off their stalks, and then I made a large batch of damson & apple jam. And this was supposed to be a quiet day!!!

Chicken salad sandwich and a :cuppa: for supper.

Watching the opening ceremony for the Paralympics.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Didn't take long for the clouds to clear today and it turned into another lovely day. Too good to waste sitting around so out on the bike for 40 miles to Stowmarket, a quick drink and then train home. Done sweet F.A. since then but there was something in my mind that I knew I'd forgotten to do which is why I found myself watering the plants in the dark about half an hour ago!

Last edited:
Top Bottom