Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I worked as a postman I cycled 4 miles each way to work but also cycled on the job as I had mostly a far flung walk.
Most of my working life I lived more or less on the job and was just a couple of minutes walk to work.
In my distillery period I could hear the plant working and lack of night noise meant trouble so I was mostly up and dressed before the phone rang.
Farming I lived in the farm bothy with an 0530 start every morning.
Latterly I was a five minute walk to work.

When I worked as a postman I cycled 4 miles each way to work but also cycled on the job as I had mostly a far flung walk.
Most of my working life I lived more or less on the job and was just a couple of minutes walk to work.
In my distillery period I could hear the plant working and lack of night noise meant trouble so I was mostly up and dressed before the phone rang.
Farming I lived in the farm bothy with an 0530 start every morning.
Latterly I was a five minute walk to work.

I'm kind of hoping that eventually I'll be able to manage a shop, and it'll be closer to where I live. Tübingen is great to visit but I wouldn't want to live in the city.

Currently it looks like I'll cycle about 8km to the next station and ride the train for ca. 8 minutes to Tübingen, then cycle the last three KM into work. Unless I'm feeling lazy then I'll take the train the whole way.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Came back from hols a day early as we found cleethorpes was crap as a lot of the local attractions were shut even though they were still listed as open and the beach photos were a bit of a lie as although you had a stretch of sand the tide went about a mile out and most of it was mud ! The park had direct beach access making it sound like it was ideal but we were right at the other end of the park so it was a 20 min walk and the tides meant you could only really go early morning or evening unless you fancied wearing wellies .
Ended up driving about 40 miles a day to get to a half decent beach
I was just about to go for a ride and the heavens opened and thunderstorm rolled over so i have postponed it till later and as i type the sun is coming out again !

Very hot here chez Casa Reynard. Was sunny earlier, but it has now clouded over and gone rather dark.

Slept well. Feel better - less snotty, but have a thumping headache. I did water all the planters earlier, but it's largely too hot to be out right now. So I've been polishing up the writing I've done over the weekend and making some changes. I'd noticed some repetition of stuff in a previous chapter when flicking through the hardcopy manuscript, so I opted to re-write a section of the current chapter.

I have also spent some time in the kitchen and made a batch of tabbouleh.

I think I shall pootle to the community orchard and nature reserve later on this afternoon once the heat of the day has gone, as a nice gentle walk will do me good, I think. A trip to Tesco for some bits will have to wait till its cooler, as I need to buy a box of chocolates as a gift, and I don't want them to melt in the car!

Anyway, it is almost time for luncheon.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Oh, I've moved a large van from Wakefield to Ayr. It contained a bicycle. Currently I'm at Ayr station.

I hired a 'small' van, but this definitely wasn't 'small'. My entire bike fleet would have fitted in, although they would then be in Ayr and stuck there.

And apologies to anyone from Ayr but it's grotty. Although Café 51 just south of the centre is nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom