Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh dear Donald

Hereinafter referred to as #1176214.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Huuuge fire in Hamtun Town centre this morning!!
Screenshot_20240531-113533~2.png

Happily, I'm not there! 😐

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Couple of little jobs whilst on lunch whilst WFH. We've a wind out awning/sun shelter (OK Manchester and sun - hah hah - call it a rain shelter).

It's a few years old now and over winter get's a bit stained with green algae just on the exposed 'cloth'. As it's beige it can look scruffy. Anyways, bought a big tub of 'awning and tent' cleaner last year - worked a treat last year. This time I'd already done one clean and it was looking much better. Last week I sprayed the stuff on, and left it soaking. The rain then came and helped remove what was left of the algae, so it's all nice and clean. The only down side, is the 'treated' area isn't terribly waterproof - the rain soaks in. So out I went with the re-proofer and treated the 'bottom two foot' of fabric, and rolled the awning back up. I'll let that dry now for 24h whilst it soaks in. Should be 'manchester weather' proof again !

I was very nearly tempted to replace the whole cloth at some expense. No need now.

Well my garage anti theft device worked well this morning. I was locked out! One of my bikes had slipped down allowing the saddle to slip under the door handle. This meant that despite the lock being unlocked it meant that the handle wouldn't turn to allow the door to open . I could open the up and over door but the way to the other door was blocked by bikes. After shifting a few bikes I could get in to see what had happened. What I needed was a long barge pole. I found a long wooded bannister rail, screwed the bracket to the end to act as a hook and managed to pull the bike out of the way. The door opened!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well my garage anti theft device worked well this morning. I was locked out! One of my bikes had slipped down allowing the saddle to slip under the door handle. This meant that despite the lock being unlocked it meant that the handle wouldn't turn to allow the door to open . I could open the up and over door but the way to the other door was blocked by bikes. After shifting a few bikes I could get in to see what had happened. What I needed was a long barge pole. I found a long wooded bannister rail, screwed the bracket to the end to act as a hook and managed to pull the bike out of the way. The door opened!

Similar has happened to me in the past. All the 'extra' locks were un-locked, but the handle for the normal 'crap' locks had somehow come 'detached' from the operating cable. No-way could I get in without damage. We also have a side door, but it's bolted shut - it can't be opened. Ended up smashing a very small pane of glass, getting a long pole and carefully pulled the operating cable to release the 'crap' locks.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Been into the attic and the spare HP monitors won't fit this PC; they were bought specifically for SWMBO's new fancy micro PC which she doesn't like.

Temporary smaller monitor's staying and I've bought one which matches the LH monitor.

It's usually possible to buy cables to convert socket types.

I will confess to liking the old mini tower with plenty of space for drives & sockets.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's usually possible to buy cables to convert socket types.

I will confess to liking the old mini tower with plenty of space for drives & sockets.

True. And I've got some converters, but not the specific ones to convert this one. A replacement monitor, with eBay voucher, turned out to be only a bit more than a cable!

A cool and grey day here chez Casa Reynard, dry now, but it was hosing it down with rain earlier.

Did not sleep well - was constantly hovering on the edge of wakefulness. Not sure why tbh, but that's the way it is. Have spent the morning carrying on with the archive. I was supposed to go into town to run a few errands, but didn't fancy it. As a result, I will have to pop out to the post office in Littleport later to send something for the parental unit, but dropping off my Eberhard at the watchmaker for a service can wait until after the weekend.

The watch was showing signs of needing a service when I bought it back in April - it would stop randomly, but a shake would get it going again - but now the mainspring is point blank refusing to release. The balance swings, but only briefly. There's no markings on the inside of the caseback, so likely it's never been serviced before. Which is pointing to gummed-up old lubricants being the issue.

Anyways, it is almost time for luncheon.

Top Bottom